Harbhajan's appeal [Merged]

Sachinism

Guest HariSampath

Hey transfer the case to patiala High court and it will come up for hearing in 2037 and then we can get it adjourned forever, meanwhile Bhaji would have even retired as a commentator for Hindi/Punjabi TV

No reports... we are just talking about Gilly over here and have forgotten about this bhajji guy. so yawn
Talking about Gilly can you clarify what was he/will be doing as a witness in the case? He never heard anything yet he is a witness.... :hysterical::hysterical:
It would be very funny.. soo funny if, after all this posturing, he has said it :)
May be funny for Aussies, but for us we would feel cheated. Since we backed him.
Guest HariSampath

^ Gilly is a key witness and the fact he didnt hear anything is evidence . Remember Sherlock Holmes and Silver Blaze , the dog that didnt bark

Guest HariSampath
i dont wish to see all this stirred up again.....
Yeah, best thing would be to forget everything....and lets go back to the point in the Sydney test where Bhajji pats Lee on the back...and replay the test allover again :-)

BCCI bosses screw up again.

Ban fine, but remove racist tag: Modi Mumbai: The BCCI bosses have come out with contrasting statements even as India prepare to fight Harbhajan Singh's case following the Sydney Test. BCCI vice-president Lalit Modi has said that the the Board is fine even if Justice John Hansen sticks with the ban already slapped on the Indian off-spinner, but has demanded the 'racism' tag be removed from the entire issue. "We are okay with Harbhajan being banned or punished. All we want is the racism tag to be removed," Modi said after a teleconference with the Indian team management in Adelaide after the end of the fourth and final Test against Australia. On the other hand, BCCI President Sharad Pawar has said that he is with the Indian team in what ever decision they take.

The fact is that the Aussies showcased themselves as the worst in everything except cricket in this series- they played well but the series will be remembered for the Indian heroics and a team known as Australia that is looked upon as an ugly bully who ran to the Principal whining and crying like a bunch of sissies with their pants down and their faces in their arses!

Stump microphone transcripts are ok, says Harbhajan counsel Cricinfo staff January 28, 2008 A day before Justice John Hansen begins hearing Harbhajan Singh's appeal in the racism case, the counsel for the Indian side, VR Manohar, said he would not oppose the use of additional evidence like the transcript of the stump microphone but would object to any embellished improvised material, which he said was "fishy" evidence. In Australia, meanwhile, members of the Indian team were wondering why the additional evidence had come so late, three weeks after the conclusion of the Sydney Test at which the incident occurred. Justice Hansen said on Monday the appeal would be a re-hearing, with evidence being given by all of the witnesses who gave evidence to Mike Procter in the original hearing; he also spoke of "additional evidence, such as the transcript available from the stump microphone," being made available. "I have nothing against the stump microphone evidence being used as long as it is not tampered with," Manohar told Cricinfo from Mumbai. "What I will object to is a scenario where a player who said he didn't hear Harbhajan use the monkey word during the first hearing turns around and says he did hear that word. That would be termed as "fishy". If the players decide to add to what they have stated in the tribunal, and if that contradicts their initial stance, that would be objectionable." "If there have been any suspicious changes to the material recorded during Procter investigation, I would term it as fishy or embellished improvised material. That said, I am not against using stump microphone transcripts or some thing new like that." Manohar, whose son Shashank is the Indian board's president-elect, will participate in the hearing via a video link from Mumbai. He has not travelled to Australia, citing his age - he is 74 - and his confidence that the present "innocuous" evidence was enough to prove Harbhajan's innocence. Cricinfo, meanwhile, has learnt that the evidence provided by the stump transcripts is inconclusive - what Harbhajan says is indecipherable - and is expected to neither jeopardise nor help his case. However, the BCCI has said that introducing new evidence at this stage was not a normal court practice. "Our lawyer has said that whatever comes to the fore in the lower court is discussed or heard by the appellate commissioner, bringing new evidence is against the rule," BCCI president Sharad Pawar told reporters in New Delhi. The original hearing was played out under the shadow of India's threat to pull out of the tour unless the racism charge was withdrawn. There was some speculation that the threat still held, and Lalit Modi, the board's vice-president, said as much on Monday. "If the racism charge against Harbhajan is not taken back, then the Indian board has taken a decision that the team will come back to India," Modi was quoted by PTI. © Cricinfo
BCCI has taken a tough stand on the Bhajji issue... BCCI will pull out of ODI series unless the charge is lifted... and BCCI is not going to recognise any new evidence...
good to see BCCI take a stand and not just give in
Stump mikes should be off between overs. So' date=' it is not "legally acceptable" evidence.[/quote'] exactly what i've been saying all this time, why is it suddenly ok to go against the rules
Stump microphone transcripts are ok' date=' says Harbhajan counsel[/size'] Cricinfo staff January 28, 2008 A day before Justice John Hansen begins hearing Harbhajan Singh's appeal in the racism case, the counsel for the Indian side, VR Manohar, said he would not oppose the use of additional evidence like the transcript of the stump microphone but would object to any embellished improvised material, which he said was "fishy" evidence. In Australia, meanwhile, members of the Indian team were wondering why the additional evidence had come so late, three weeks after the conclusion of the Sydney Test at which the incident occurred. Justice Hansen said on Monday the appeal would be a re-hearing, with evidence being given by all of the witnesses who gave evidence to Mike Procter in the original hearing; he also spoke of "additional evidence, such as the transcript available from the stump microphone," being made available. "I have nothing against the stump microphone evidence being used as long as it is not tampered with," Manohar told Cricinfo from Mumbai. "What I will object to is a scenario where a player who said he didn't hear Harbhajan use the monkey word during the first hearing turns around and says he did hear that word. That would be termed as "fishy". If the players decide to add to what they have stated in the tribunal, and if that contradicts their initial stance, that would be objectionable." "If there have been any suspicious changes to the material recorded during Procter investigation, I would term it as fishy or embellished improvised material. That said, I am not against using stump microphone transcripts or some thing new like that." Manohar, whose son Shashank is the Indian board's president-elect, will participate in the hearing via a video link from Mumbai. He has not travelled to Australia, citing his age - he is 74 - and his confidence that the present "innocuous" evidence was enough to prove Harbhajan's innocence. Cricinfo, meanwhile, has learnt that the evidence provided by the stump transcripts is inconclusive - what Harbhajan says is indecipherable - and is expected to neither jeopardise nor help his case. However, the BCCI has said that introducing new evidence at this stage was not a normal court practice. "Our lawyer has said that whatever comes to the fore in the lower court is discussed or heard by the appellate commissioner, bringing new evidence is against the rule," BCCI president Sharad Pawar told reporters in New Delhi. The original hearing was played out under the shadow of India's threat to pull out of the tour unless the racism charge was withdrawn. There was some speculation that the threat still held, and Lalit Modi, the board's vice-president, said as much on Monday. "If the racism charge against Harbhajan is not taken back, then the Indian board has taken a decision that the team will come back to India," Modi was quoted by PTI. © Cricinfo
just stop them from using it, how are you gonna be sure whether or not it has been tampered with

Issue 1: Is calling someone Monkey racist? In India, it is such a common phrase that one would not consider it racist. I have learnt, like many, that it is indeed considered a racist word to "Blacks". This might be new for some people. So in the end, being called a Monkey is considered racist. Issue 2: Did Bhajji call Symonds l "Monkey"? This is yet to be determined with proper evidence. Issue 3: Should Bhajji get a ban if called Symonds Monkey? From a neutral point of view, yes he should. Then everyone needs to look at the issue of sledging Issue 4: Evidence? This is what most of the people are not happy with the way the evidence and hearing was been handled. From Procter's first hearing, he clearing "Ass-u-me-d" a lot of stuff and based his final verdit on what he thinks happened. That is not how cases are dealt with in a court. So that really fumed a lot of people especially the taking the word of the Aussies over the Indians. Issue 5: Aussies sledging Everyone knows that the Aussies do not shower the opposition with flowers. They must have dished out some real dirty stuff the Indians and Bhajji for him to react if he did say the word monkey. Even Symonds, instigated Harbhajan regarding Lee. That was a non-issue yet Symonds initiated his verbal spat with Harbhajan again knowing the bitter history between them. That was not wise on the part of Symonds. So Symonds and the Aussies are not angels in this as well.

So you guys are honestly telling me that if harbhajan is found guilty after due process, the tapes are deemed unusable because they are "illegal",some tv channel decides to make them public and it proves that bhajji didn't say monkey, you'd be ok with it because the tapes weren't following the rules? And don't give me any of that "he wouldn't be found guilty after due process because he's innocent" bs. He's not a saint. Doesn't mean he's a bad person but just because he plays for your home team doesn't make him a saint.
Don't know what's more shocking, the fact that Bhajji could have actually said this, or the attempts here to absolve him on a technicality. Like most Indian fans, I have tended to give him the BOD on this, but if the stump mike proves that he really called Symonds the "M" word, it'll be the second time he has resorted to it, to deliberately freshen wounds left by the disgusting chanting of some of the crowds in India directed at the Aussie. In that case, nothing should be allowed to obfuscate his offence, least of all pathetic attempts to pass the word off as "maaki" or "bheek maangi". If his guilt his proven beyond reasonable doubt, I want his hide nailed from the highest mast in Adelaide to serve as a sordid example of what happens to racial stereotypers in the civilised world.
Don't know what's more shocking, the fact that Bhajji could have actually said this, or the attempts here to absolve him on a technicality. Like most Indian fans, I have tended to give him the BOD on this, but if the stump mike proves that he really called Symonds the "M" word, it'll be the second time he has resorted to it, to deliberately freshen wounds left by the disgusting chanting of some of the crowds in India directed at the Aussie. In that case, nothing should be allowed to obfuscate his offence, least of all pathetic attempts to pass the word off as "maaki" or "bheek maangi". If his guilt his proven beyond reasonable doubt, I want his hide nailed from the highest mast in Adelaide to serve as a sordid example of what happens to racial stereotypers in the civilised world.
agree 100%. Infact if there is a proof that he did it then he should be fined /punished by BCCI as well cuz he lied to the public
for 2 days after ponting officially complained about this issue , Channel 9 /Slater mentioned at least 10 times that "Stump mics did not pick up anything " PS: if he said and can be proven then I guess the Monkey (Bhajji) should be banned.
come on now desi, how many times have you all said slater has it wrong....maybe he was wrong about the mic on stumps not being there? :giggle:

Harbhajan appeal starts in Adelaide - Nothing from Stump Mike abt Monkey INDIA'S appeal hearing against the three-Test ban imposed on cricketer Harbhajan Singh for alleged racial abuse has started at the Adelaide Federal Court building. A large media throng has assembled outside the court to greet Harbhajan and others as they arrived for start of a hearing presided over by New Zealand Justice and International Cricket Council (ICC) appeals commissioner John Hansen. The Indians are seeking to have Harbhajan's charge and penalty - imposed by ICC match referee Mike Procter for allegedly calling Australian allrounder Andrew Symonds a “big monkey'' during the second Test in Sydney - either downgraded or dropped at the appeal. Harbhajan arrived in the company of Indian media manager Dr MV and made no comment as he entered the court. Soon after, Indian batsman and key witness Sachin Tendulkar arrived, dropped off by Cricket Australia chairman Creagh O'Connor, who shared a joke with Tendulkar as they entered the building at the second attempt after mistakenly starting off towards a cafe next door. Australia's contributors to the hearing - Symonds, Michael Clarke, Matthew Hayden and captain Ricky Ponting - chose to avoid the media by entering the building via a side entrance. A second day has been set aside to continue the hearing if it cannot be resolved. http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23126154-23212,00.html