Why Should Hindi be/not be national language of India?

sarcastic

Shashi Tharoor offers a perspective. 

I know there are threads related to this in the past on ICF. But Shashi Tharoor's points do make sense. Let us discuss on this very important factor related to Indian identity/unity which is its national language.

29 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Should not be enforced... But ~25%of this world and 95% of India... Speaks n understands basic hindi. Bangali = similar to hindi.. Tamil, not.. So they should work on it out of their own will.. 

Go to Tamil Nadu Tamil will be enforced. Except Tamil Nadu I didn’t find much difficulties communicating in the states I visited at least. @Beautiful Game what do you say about enforcing Tamil in your state ?

Edited by gattaca

It's all part of the Aryan-Dravidian issue. Being against Hindi is the key aspect of Dravidian politics. You see they aren't against English, but just Hindi for this specific reason. Majority of South India is brainwashed by this  false Aryan Dravidian divide.

So the blow has to come from the Dravidian side. This thing has to end, as this politics has divided our country.

12 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

The beauty of a Nation like India lies in it's incredible diversity . Enforcement of one language is against the very idea on which this country was founded.

While I am all with efforts to spread Hindi , imposing or forcing people to learn it can have disastrous consequences if we go by the history.

Wrong. Diversity actually means you should be open to new things. So this hostility/intolerance against Hindi is plain politics.

A Hindu has no problems going to a other religious places, similarly a Tamil should have no problem learning Hindi.  And this Hindi is the most important language in the country, thus makes all sense to be the national language.

18 minutes ago, someone said:

Wrong. Diversity actually means you should be open to new things. So this hostility/intolerance against Hindi is plain politics.

A Hindu has no problems going to a other religious places, similarly a Tamil should have no problem learning Hindi.  And this Hindi is the most important language in the country, thus makes all sense to be the national language.

I have said this earlier... That this hindi opposition is going to die its natural death in years to come. 

43 minutes ago, someone said:

It's all part of the Aryan-Dravidian issue. Being against Hindi is the key aspect of Dravidian politics. You see they aren't against English, but just Hindi for this specific reason. Majority of South India is brainwashed by this  false Aryan Dravidian divide.

So the blow has to come from the Dravidian side. This thing has to end, as this politics has divided our country.

It is about linguistics integrity. Not aryan-Dravidian politics. This is why Hindi is also opposed in Bengal, Assam and all eastern states.If India needs a national language, it should be English. Makes far more practical sense.

Edited by Muloghonto

49 minutes ago, someone said:

Sadly you failed to understand my post. I myself support spread of usage of hindi and even the constitution provides for it as well but it becomes a problem when the state tries to force it down others' throats which could be seen by some as threat or attack on their culture which inevitably give rise to hostility. 

A change in approach is needed on Govt's part.

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

It is a regional language like Kannada, Tamil, Gujarati, Marathi. Just because it is spoken predominantly in 4 states doesn't make it a national language.

It is also spoken by millions of Non Hindi Speakers in Non Hindi States . Lol @ comparison of Kannada,  Marathi  with Hindi. 

I grew up in Maharashtra and only interacted in Hindi with people from all across the country. It's very self explanatory,  no need to compare languages that are only limited to couple of states with Hindi which has PAN in most states .

1 hour ago, someone said:

Even Bengalis, Assamese, Odia, North East States, Mallus don't like this move to push Hindi at the cost of others. How is Hindi the most important language in India? FGS it is spoken by a handful of states of the cow belt, the most underdeveloped region of India. I have no problem with Hindi but don't want to see it showed down the throats of people who speak languages far richer, older and relatively uncorrupted. Why don't cow belt people ever try to pick up Bengali or Kannada or Tamil, why is it always the other way? 

Have always been fascinated by Dravidian politics even though I claim to not understand much of it. There was one great leader in TN named Annadurai who was also their CM for a couple of years or so. Read an article about the anti Hindi agitation in Tamil Nadu in the 60s. Vajpayee and Anna had a spat in Parliament. Vajpayee reasoned that since more people talk in Hindi, hence Hindi should be our national language, to which Anna retaliated by moving a proposal to make crow our national bird instead of peacock because there are more crows in India......classic, saare Hindi supremacists kee bolti band. Will always be grateful to the Tamils for the anti Hindi agitations, they saved our nation by opposing Delhi there. India is like Europe, we aren't a country, we're a continent. Every 200 km you move in any direction the dialect/language changes like in no other country. Our greatest strength is our diversity, we must be proud of this richness in our culture. I don't know much Tamil except a few rudimentary words I picked up in my workplace but the fact that Tamil is the oldest spoken language in the world and has the mightiest history and literature makes my heart swell with pride. Similarly Bengali, Malayalam, Kannada, Telegu, Konkani, Urdu, Punjabi etc all have great history (some of them much older and richer than Hindi). Any attempt to force Hindi will have pretty bad consequences we can do without. Learn from history....Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Serbia, Quebec, Catalonia, never ends well.  

In the interest of fairness English should be our national language. 

Edited by Gollum

54 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Even Bengalis, Assamese, Odia, North East States, Mallus don't like this move to push Hindi at the cost of others. How is Hindi the most important language in India? FGS it is spoken by a handful of states of the cow belt, the most underdeveloped region of India. I have no problem with Hindi but don't want to see it showed down the throats of people who speak languages far richer, older and relatively uncorrupted. Why don't cow belt people ever try to pick up Bengali or Kannada or Tamil, why is it always the other way? 

Obviously, few other states use it as fuel for their own regional politics. But the main, and the source itself is from the South, and it's all part of the Aryan- Dravidian politics. There is a lot of brainwashing. You see there aren't any anti Tamil protests in North. Actually, there isn't even anything called Aryan politics. But there exists a Dravidian politics and hatred of Hindi is essential for such brainwashing to continue.

When our own Gujarti PM has no problem speaking Hindi, so why can't South learn and speak Hindi? Like no Gujarti has a problem with Hindi, so why it is a big issue in South? No Gujarati thinks of Hindi as threat to their culture nor has any issue about Hindi being imposed on them. Two languages or really multiple things can exist at the same time, and that's the beauty of India.  But obviously with dravidian politics, they have to be  completely intolerant of Hindi in order to exist itself. Now, we need to end such divide.

Edited by someone

17 minutes ago, someone said:

Obviously, few other states use it as fuel for their own regional politics. But the main, and the source itself is from the South, and it's all part of the Aryan- Dravidian politics. There is a lot of brainwashing. You see there aren't any anti Tamil protests in North. Actually, there isn't even anything called Aryan politics. But there exists a Dravidian politics and hatred of Hindi is essential for such brainwashing to continue.

When our own Gujarti PM has no problem speaking Hindi, so why can't South learn and speak Hindi? No Gujarati thinks of Hindi as threat to their culture nor has any issue about Hindi being imposed on them. Two languages or really multiple things can exist at the same time, and that's the beauty of India. But obviously with dravidian politics, they are completely intolerant of Hindi. We need to end such divide.

There aren't anti Tamil protests in Delhi because there has never been any attempt in the national level to enforce Tamil. Tamils didn't surrender before Delhi Sultanate, Mughal Empire, Brits, you think they will let a 70 year old entity change that? They made the Mughal governors in Arcot, Trichy, Madurai learn Tamil rather than changing their language, you think it's a coincidence? Tamil is the greatest surviving language in the world, at the very least as old as Sanskrit (but not dead, in fact thriving today) and the greatest collection of literature possible in the entire planet. Bengali, Malayalam, Urdu all are great languages but Tamil is on another different level altogether. Hindi is a bacchha language in historic terms...., Tamil/Sanskrit bahut door ki baat hai. If Hindi is Maruti Alto, Bengali is Hyundai and Tamil is a Hummer. You can convince a Hyundai guy to replace his car with Alto (with great difficulty ofc), you can never ask a Hummer guy to replace his with an Alto. That's why Tamils are not keen about learning Hindi. 

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, Stradlater said:

Sadly you failed to understand my post. I myself support spread of usage of hindi and even the constitution provides for it as well but it becomes a problem when the state tries to force it down others' throats which could be seen by some as threat or attack on their culture which inevitably give rise to hostility. 

A change in approach is needed on Govt's part.

Two things, why no Gujarti think of Hindi as threat to their culture, why just the South? Next, why just Hindi, what about English? When they learn English, isn't that a threat to their culture, going by their same logic? Thus, it's just part for the Aryan-dravidian brainwashing. This hatred of Hindi is needed to keep the divide alive.

You see Hindi isn't a special language. So when people say tamil is older or even call it superior, I don't care as that's not the point. It's all about Hindi being widely spoken and the most important language, so every Indian has to learn it.