Why Should Hindi be/not be national language of India?

sarcastic

7 hours ago, randomGuy said:

1. Not learning local language = disrespecting the culture? Explain. 

2. And are you being respectful to the Northies when you are saying we come 'begging'? 

1. The poster I was replying to indicated the source of the problem was Southies and that Southies were not open, intolerant, not respectful of diversity because of opposition to Hindi. I was simply using the same logic against him.

2. I was talking specifically about UP and Bihar, esp the former which is driving all the hysteria w.r.t Hindi chauvinism. I could have used less harsher language but I was replying to a poster who made some scandalous remarks about certain states. I don't think it's just some Northies, even Bengalis, Odia and N.E folk come desperately to the Southern and Western States looking for jobs because their states aren't developed enough to create local jobs. Bengalis and Assamese won't be blamed because they aren't the ones trying to impose homogeneity across a diverse populace. 

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

1. The poster I was replying to indicated the source of the problem was Southies and that Southies were not open, intolerant, not respectful of diversity because of opposition to Hindi. I was simply using the same logic against him.

2. I was talking specifically about UP and Bihar, esp the former which is driving all the hysteria w.r.t Hindi chauvinism. I could have used less harsher language but I was replying to a poster who made some scandalous remarks about certain states. I don't think it's just some Northies, even Bengalis, Odia and N.E folk come desperately to the Southern and Western States looking for jobs because their states aren't developed enough to create local jobs. Bengalis and Assamese won't be blamed because they aren't the ones trying to impose homogeneity across a diverse populace. 

I wouldn't say southies begged Tata sons (TCS), Mahindras and all cos. with Non-southie Indian or Foreign owners to open offices in the south. I dont see hindi imposition either...

15 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

I wouldn't say southies begged Tata sons (TCS), Mahindras and all cos. with Non-southie Indian or Foreign owners to open offices in the south. I dont see hindi imposition either...

They opened their offices in certain places because of ease of doing business. If Bengal were an easier place to do business they would have opened their factory there, but it is not the case. 

32 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

This has to do with the availability of people of the required skill sets locally. In the language of @Lurker white collar coolies. 

There were a lot of computer engineers in Bangalore back then.

You can't expect a TCS to set up shop in Jaunpur zila or Kishtwar where such talent may not exist. 

This has nothing to do with linguistics.

13 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

This has to do with the availability of people of the required skill sets locally. In the language of @Lurker white collar coolies. 

There were a lot of computer engineers in Bangalore back then.

You can't expect a TCS to set up shop in Jaunpur zila or Kishtwar where such talent may not exist. 

This has nothing to do with linguistics.

31 minutes ago, Gollum said:

They opened their offices in certain places because of ease of doing business. If Bengal were an easier place to do business they would have opened their factory there, but it is not the case. 

@Gollum I know right... Likewise,  northies work hard for their money in the south, pay rent, taxes, obey law etc. So mind the usage of terms begging etc. 

1 minute ago, randomGuy said:

@Gollum I know right... Likewise,  northies work hard for their money in the south, pay rent, taxes, obey law etc. So mind the usage of terms begging etc. 

But they migrate because their states don't have the capability to provide them jobs out there. Yet they demean other languages and insist on Hindi, no respect towards India's diversity and her varied culture. I am yet to see 1 Northie in Bengaluru/Hyderabad/Chennai learn one sentence of the local language, all they do is sit and ridicule the locals and their customs, yet all the Southies I have seen in Kolkata know at least the basics of Hindi, they make an attempt to fit in. As I said earlier an average Northie doesn't even consider South and North East as part of India, they would rather associate themselves with Pakistanis than being lumped together with these 2 groups. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

But they migrate because their states don't have the capability to provide them jobs out there. Yet they demean other languages and insist on Hindi, no respect towards India's diversity and her varied culture. I am yet to see 1 Northie in Bengaluru/Hyderabad/Chennai learn one sentence of the local language, all they do is sit and ridicule the locals and their customs, yet all the Southies I have seen in Kolkata know at least the basics of Hindi, they make an attempt to fit in. As I said earlier an average Northie doesn't even consider South and North East as part of India, they would rather associate themselves with Pakistanis than being lumped together with these 2 groups. 

Hindi imposition is in your mind, not on ground...growth of hindi is just all logical n natural...' Avg. Northie don't consider South and North East as part of India' ... That's just ur imagination and/or your victim card...' Meeru Ella unnaru'(how r u),  here is one telugu sentence which I learnt while being in hyderabad. Does not make me any less or more respecting of their culture, I don't think.. 

5 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Hindi imposition is in your mind, not on ground...growth of hindi is just all logical n natural...' Avg. Northie don't consider South and North East as part of India' ... That's just ur imagination and/or your victim card...' Meeru Ella unnaru'(how r u),  here is one telugu sentence which I learnt while being in hyderabad. Does not make me any less or more respecting of their culture, I don't think.. 

This like the 'Poverty is a state of mind' quote by RaGa.

Hindi has to become the national language as it was always meant to be

southies must stop being selfish and think about the nation for a change. They always act as if they are doing us some favor by being part of the Union. Need to pull their weight for once atlrast

Northeast will be taken care of and they will come round to the idea soon enough but Southies and especially the Tamil and Kannada brothers need to think about India for a change and focus less on their small happiness  

[mention=17917]Gollum[/mention]

[mention=5574]nikred[/mention]

Guys who have spent time in the Old City of Hyderabad maybe able to relate this post better.
There are these silver trinklet shops in the lanes leading up to the Charminar. I tried to negotiate ( don't judge me :p:) and the guy said something really fast. I just shrugged my shoulder to indicate that his wisdom was lost on me and he repeated the same thing again. I told him that I can't speak Telugu and if he could speak Hindi/Urdu. And he replied saying that he was speaking in Urdu. They call it Dakkhani, btw.

Even their written/print media Urdu is quite funny. That kind of language would pass off as slang amongst the Urdu speaking intelligentsia in Mumbai. 

Point I'm trying to make is that there is far too much variation even within a language in our country. 

I love Dakkhani, it's such a lovely dialect.
The Telangana dialect, which is a variant of telugu, is considered funny sounding too. But being a Hyderabadi, I find it normal. On the contrary I find Andhra dialect juggling from funny to annoying.

On topic, I don't think any Hyderabadi would have problem with hindi whatsoever. Telangana dialect itself is a fusion of telugu with urdu words. I am yet to meet a Hyderabadi who has a problem with hindi.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, HemuChandra said:

Sanskrit should be our national Language as  every Bharatiyan language is derived from  Sanskrit. So mix between Nationalism/Rationalism 

There is nothing rational about making a language that is practically dead and/or spoken by less than 1% of people as national language, simply because it used to be the case in the past. We might as well make Kiswahili as our national language then- afterall, all mankind comes from Ethiopia, so we should speak something from the Horn of Africa, right ?

53 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

There is nothing rational about making a language that is practically dead and/or spoken by less than 1% of people as national language, simply because it used to be the case in the past. We might as well make Kiswahili as our national language then- afterall, all mankind comes from Ethiopia, so we should speak something from the Horn of Africa, right ?

We need a language that is common to all of the Indians and Sanskrit fits this very well. We should promote sanskrit and we should have a goal of making it a mainstream language by 2030-40. Only someone with an  inferiority complex can accept English as an national language. People with no self-respect do not deserve a nation, A nation needs to have an Individual identity to Survive and IMO Hinduism is that Identity for Bharat, Tell me can Pakistan survive without Islam?

Edited by HemuChandra

A tamilian or a kannadiga has no problem with Delhiites or Biharis speaking or writing in Hindi. Similarly the Hindi speaking populace shouldn't have any problem with Tamilians speaking in Tamil or malayalis using Malayalam. If you're concerned about jobs in these parts, there is always English. Even migrant workers pickup the local language in sometime. If a Tamilian goes for work to Delhi, and if he has to learn Hindi and finds the need to do so he will learn it. It's his personal choice. I don't think language should be a criteria for proving nationality. If a major part of tamilnadu doesn't want to learn Hindi, let them be.