This interview with Bumrah is frustrating to read

Brainfade

"We were bowling an India-length on the first day"

"In the first innings we thought we bowled a little fuller than the normal because in India the wickets are different where we have to pitch fuller to get the swing and to get the batsmen on the front foot," he said. "Over here there is bounce, there is a little bit of difference. We analysed that and tried to adapt in the second innings, and as a unit we were able to create pressure, so that was the basic plan going into the second innings. That worked well. So hopefully, we will see videos of these wickets, what happens over here and we plan according to it."

It is frustrating that the team waited until this mistake was actually made and reacting to it, rather than proactively planning to bowl a different length ahead of time.  This is a direct indictment of Shastri and Arun.  Wouldn't it be in their basic job description to analyse the pitch and videos **before** the match and instruct these guys to adjust their lengths and put them in the best position to succeed?  Then it is the bowlers' job to execute.  But, if the coaches have failed to plan things for them ahead of time, how can the players be expected to succeed?  

I am loathe to criticize people in fields that I am not an expert in, but it is clear that the coaching staff dropped the ball by not planning ahead.    

Edited by Brainfade
1 minute ago, Brainfade said:

It is frustrating that the team waited until this mistake was actually and reacting to it, rather than proactively planning to bowl a different length ahead of time.  This is a direct indictment of Shastri and Arun.  Wouldn't it be their job to analyse the pitch and videos **before** the match and instruct these guys to adjust their lengths and put them in the best position to succeed?  Then it is their job to execute.  But, if the coaches have failed to plan things for them ahead of time, how can they be expected to succeed?  

I am loathe to criticize people in fields that I am not an expert in, but it is clear that the coaching staff dropped the ball by not planning ahead.  

One more simple thing could also have been done - Just play the freaking scheduled practise match. The bowlers could have learnt what length to bowl there itself instead of having to do it in 1st innings here.

Cancelling the lone practise match was the stupidest thing I have seen a test captain doing recently. They could have played both the match and done their net practise.

3 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Yes read that article long back, Kumble's sacking was the darkest phase of Indian cricket and less said about that hippo bowling coach  is better.

43 minutes ago, Brainfade said:

It is frustrating that the team waited until this mistake was actually made and reacting to it, rather than proactively planning to bowl a different length ahead of time.  This is a direct indictment of Shastri and Arun.  Wouldn't it be in their basic job description to analyse the pitch and videos **before** the match and instruct these guys to adjust their lengths and put them in the best position to succeed?  Then it is the bowlers' job to execute.  But, if the coaches have failed to plan things for them ahead of time, how can the players be expected to succeed?  

Every Test bowler in the world now needs a coach to tell them what the bowler sees after bowling 6 balls ? Unless coach says change length or line they continue bowling rubbish? Smdh 

Here's the problem with the "Kumble would've done this" or "Kumble would've done that" statements: 

No doubt Kumble is one of the most knowledgeable cricketers, a savant of the game and a person of high integrity.  But all of his thoroughly researched, well-thought-out, brilliantly developed, highly valid ideas are useless if he is a jerk to the players.  Many reports suggested that he treated the players terribly, and even lashed out at one of the bowlers immediately after the CT2017 defeat.  His job is not to be a high-school principal or parent to the players.  If he cannot work with people and motivate them by using the best methods, he does not deserve to be a coach.  That is not to say that Shastri deserves to be the coach.  I have always felt that he deserves a good run before he can be judged, but it seems to be that he lacks in work ethic and analytical skills.  The only person who appeared to have both abilities - analytical skills and good man-management skills - was Gary Kirsten.  

Of course all of this is pure speculation by keyboard critics, so who the F knows what the real truth is.

Edited by Brainfade

Moral of the story.....don't place much expectations on these money minded frauds.Then disappointment is the result which has been happening, which is happening & which will continue unless  some dramatic changes occur for the good.Let alone experts, every tom dick & harry know that  playing  some practice matches in more or less similar conditions and pitches  immediately before such and important tour would have helped a lot.Instead these frauds chose to play t20 matches with Lanka.