Tuffey surprise Black Caps' cup choice - NZ WC squad

King

Tuffey surprise Black Caps' cup choice Stuff.co.nz | Tuesday, 13 February 2007 Email a Friend | Printable View | Have Your Say IAIN MCGREGOR/Waikato Times BACK IN BLACK: Darryl Tuffey has been recalled to the New Zealand squad for the cricket World Cup. Related Links ? Subscribe to Archivestuff ? Have your say Advertisement Advertisement Darryl Tuffey has won a surprise recall to the New Zealand cricket squad for the World Cup. The recall, announced in Christchurch by coach John Bracewell this morning, comes two years after Tuffey was sidelined with a torn shoulder tendon. The right-arm outswing bowler is also in the 13-man squad for the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy series against Australia, which starts in Wellington on Friday. The Northern Districts paceman comes into in otherwise predictable squad for injured Aucklander Kyle Mills, out with a knee injury. Bracewell had been widely expected to name either fast bowler Chris Martin or all-rounder Andre Adams to replace Mills. Bracewell said Tuffey's ability to take the ball away from right-handed batsmen made him the ideal replacement for Mills. "It has been a long journey back for Daryl from such a serious injury, but the selectors have been impressed by his performances and are satisfied that he is ready to once again play international cricket," Bracewell said. "What has impressed with the State Northern Knights is his economy rate of 4.54, which is very good for a bowler who opens the innings and also bowls at the death." Tuffey made his one-day debut against Zimbabwe in September 2000 and has played 76 one-day international matches. He has taken 90 wickets at an average of 29.92. "I knew I was close (to selection) but obviously I was closer than I thought," Tuffey told NZPA today. He described his inclusion in the Black Caps as "a real surprise but really exciting." In 2005, Tuffey was fined $1000 by New Zealand Cricket for serious misconduct after admitting he was caught on video in a sexual act with a Christchurch woman. Of the 15 named in the squad today, Peter Fulton and Michael Mason will not be in the Chappell-Hadlee series. The World Cup squad is: Stephen Fleming (captain), Lou Vincent, Peter Fulton, Ross Taylor, Scott Styris, Craig McMillan, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori, James Franklin, Mark Gillespie, Shane Bond, Jeetan Patel, Michael Mason, Darryl Tuffey.