Austin 3:!6

India vs South Africa - 2nd Test match thread - 13th to 17th January 2018 - #IsBaarAfricaPeWaar

Just now, vvvslaxman said:

Finally, Gavaskar is talking some sense. Kohli's angled bat towards leg side was not really good option as it increases the probability of getting leg before. Just show dead straight bat. Atleast you would get an edge. This is one area Kohli can improve. 

amla got out same way. playing across on such a wicket and that too when you're standing on off stump, you're a LBW candidate for sure

38 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Rohit will Be hilarious here . Ball keeping low and they will target stumps . 

Might as well write lbw in scorecard now and save us all time and energy 

Rohit will take that in a canter ,at least it'll save him from another embarrassing "clean bowled " tag

11 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Finally, Gavaskar is talking some sense. Kohli's angled bat towards leg side was not really good option as it increases the probability of getting leg before. Just show dead straight bat. Atleast you would get an edge. This is one area Kohli can improve. 

Yes. Kohli tried to make it look like low bounce but actually the bounce was true, he just missed the line due to his angled bat. That and his unnecessary pokes outside off are his major technical flaws. 

31 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

And we would be chasing 187 instead of 287 with saha behind the stumps.

I agree. Saha is a brilliant keeper, India's best. But we expect our keepers to bat and compare their performances at par with any of the other batsmen. It's been that way since 2004 and cant really blame Kohli for expecting the same when he is captain.

55 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Rohit will Be hilarious here . Ball keeping low and they will target stumps . 

Might as well write lbw in scorecard now and save us all time and energy 

Ball keeping low haunted another Mumbaikar lifelong... the squat was his trademark. Lets see tomorrow :-D

Another opportunity will most probably be lost due to wrong selection and bad captaincy..

47 minutes ago, maniac said:

How is Patel a way better bat than Saha really?

A good batsman plays close to his body , Pappu's technique is SOLID...he has a strong defence , i would have sent him to open with murli Vijay as it put a left right combination and bowlers get unsettled.

now pujara and pappu, if they continue to score some runs, african will find them tuf. 

Both these guys have a Very SOLID defence, if these guys play Not out till close to tea, we can draw the GAME.

i will want to reward Pappu , if he helps india to draw the match.

Rohit Should himself tell kohli not to pick him for tests in future.

we were playing 35 over games and one guy who used to have drinks with my team captain opened the batting instead of me and i was benched..i got fumed. he scored 11 runs and i thought next match i will be back but to my shock , the captain decided to bench me and we were to play with a strong club team , i had a closed door meeting with this batsman and i told him that he is bound to score 0 or under 5 runs and may even get HIT and i suggested him to wear chest guard too.   He got hit and also got bowled for a ZERO.

in the third match , i was again benched with the clever captain as he was zealous of me scoring more than him and we were sure to loose. But to my surprise the dear friend of the Captain chickened out and gave me the opening position back , i had real tuf time facing the new ball but i did score some 30 odd runs ...now that guy does play but bats at no 6 and scores some runs every time and he is happy and i am happy.

Point i wanna make is if ROHIT does not have the technique to bat in tests he shud request to play only odi and t20 and score lot of runs and make lot of money like  dhoni and avoid tests...when every one in the world knows that rohit is a WEAK TEST BATSMAN..he is truly a weak batsman for tests.

1 hour ago, Pollack said:

Never understood left right nonsense. They talk of it like a strategic brahmastra. We wanted to have left hand right hand combination. LOL.

it works big time..pace bowlers dont get their bowling right to left handed batsman and normally left handed batsman gets the maximum benefit.

4 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

it works big time..pace bowlers dont get their bowling right to left handed batsman and normally left handed batsman gets the maximum benefit.

In limited overs only. In test arena , impact is very little

Also full marks to Saffer pacers, it was attack attack attack from Faf. Not allowing our batsmen any breathing space. Their lengths were immaculate.

This is the kind of length I'd want our pacers to target without bowling filth at 7th-8th stump line or at the pads.

Let the odd one keep low or bounce viciously at batsman's body, you'll definitely be rewarded.

27 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

A good batsman plays close to his body , Pappu's technique is SOLID...he has a strong defence , i would have sent him to open with murli Vijay as it put a left right combination and bowlers get unsettled.

So why was he poking away from his body without moving his feet? Probably not something he can change overnight, seeing that he does it all the time in Ranji too, but still, this does not commute with tight technique.

Also full marks to Saffer pacers, it was attack attack attack from Faf. Not allowing our batsmen any breathing space. Their lengths were immaculate.
This is the kind of length I'd want our pacers to target without bowling filth at 7th-8th stump line or at the pads.
Let the odd one keep low or bounce viciously at batsman's body, you'll definitely be rewarded.
May be we were watching a diff game.Sa commies were going after Faf as Philander and rabada were bowling outside off stump until ngidi came and started attacking the stumps.

I agree. Saha is a brilliant keeper, India's best. But we expect our keepers to bat and compare their performances at par with any of the other batsmen. It's been that way since 2004 and cant really blame Kohli for expecting the same when he is captain.

But Saha Has been AVG 40 after taking over from Msd.

2 hours ago, speedheat said:

Hopeless batters, sucks against pace only good against lankan trundlers, can't even play newcomer like lungi :mad: 

Your software was more hopeless :flute: than our Batsmen. Bangladeshi software should be the last one to question IND players :rock:

Edited by Rasgulla

6 minutes ago, CG said:
18 minutes ago, Turning_track said:

May be we were watching a diff game.Sa commies were going after Faf as Philander and rabada were bowling outside off stump until ngidi came and started attacking the stumps.

Until the 8th over. Philander wasn't accurate but still they gave only one boundary in first 8 overs & only 2 till the 14th.

The conditions were helpful for them but it was a fine display. 

SA's batting ultimately the difference in this test/series. Mainly ABDV himself, who pretty much single handedly saved 2 innings for SA. They were in tatters both times and his fast half centuries completely changed both tests.  India hasn't had anyone play 2 innings like that yet and that's why they will be down 0-2 by midday tomorrow. And that's being optimistic. Wouldn't be surprised if the game is over by lunch itself. 4th inning chases/survivals on a tough pitch are so draining.

Edited by HouMac

btw, don't think SA's bowling outside of Ngidi's spell was anything special yesterday. Neither opening batsmen seemed in any particular trouble. There were plenty of wide deliveries that they didn't have to play. I think India has been almost SA's equal in the bowling department in this series. The problem is India's batting in these overseas conditions is very, very ordinary. Hard to win tests with a so-so batting lineup. Particularly when you're always batting 2nd. 

Edited by HouMac

2 hours ago, HouMac said:

btw, don't think SA's bowling outside of Ngidi's spell was anything special yesterday. Neither opening batsmen seemed in any particular trouble. There were plenty of wide deliveries that they didn't have to play. I think India has been almost SA's equal in the bowling department in this series. The problem is India's batting in these overseas conditions is very, very ordinary. Hard to win tests with a so-so batting lineup. Particularly when you're always batting 2nd. 

It just shows how pathetic India batting was if South Africa bowling was not special, except Kohli. Lots respect to him for fighting to get a ton

Indian batsmen just do not have the technique and grit to survive tough alien conditions. On top of it Indians crumble to pressure easily. Then comes lack of preparation, tendency to get complacent easily, not putting in the hard work. Also we have never had a spearhead fast bowler. There is a reason why India has won outside subcontinent consistently ever. Some of it is cirncumstantial, some organizational, and some just genes!!

Edited by dandaroy

20 minutes ago, adi B said:

Please God ,make 3 hrs non stop rain 

That is our only hope to save this test. Even then we could get rolled out inside a session given who are left to bat. All 3 sessions must be wiped out. Even if survive 2 sessions without losing more than wicket as we get closer to the end we will get nervous and lose wickets in cluster.  I don't see any escape here.

2 hours ago, NameGoesHere said:

When is the IPL season starting again?  Hitman and Dhawan need to feel important.  It's very important as they are important players doing important things importantly, and we cannot afford to have them suffer problems of morale from unimportant games.

:hs: Dhawan does :finger: all for this team.. Hopefully won't use RTM

Edited by Rasgulla

What are our chances of not losing this one? I know the most popular answer is zero.

If Pappu and Chepu can survive the first hour or even better the first session, there is a chance we might get close to a win or at least a draw.

FLASH NEWS: NoH!t Sharma to bat last!

He will follow Bumrah to the crease. The Indian team management are trying to make sure NoH!t is not out in the second innings, hence giving them a reason to pick 'talent' for the third test. The strategy is for NoH!t to walk in last and be shielded from the SA bowlers by the tail ender. If the said Tail ender fails in this task, he will not play the next test.

Edited by shortbread

2 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

No doubt the remaining batsmen will try their best, but certainly SA are favorites to win this. What will be the key to watch today is which players fights their bowling attack. Does anyone apart from Kohli stands up on this tour by scoring a ton.

Key is PP, Pujara and Ashwin. Supposed to be a cloudy day, hopefully theres rain.

2 hours ago, bowl_out said:

What are our chances of not losing this one? I know the most popular answer is zero.

If Pappu and Chepu can survive the first hour or even better the first session, there is a chance we might get close to a win or at least a draw.

Let's just say this, if we get a draw here, a few players are going to have their stories told for the next 50 years.

Guest, sign in to access all features.