Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Trichromatic

      IPL forum is open now   01/29/2018

      Discuss about IPL at http://www.indiancricketfans.com/forums/forum/19-ipl-forum/
Sign in to follow this  
maniac

Controversial but are captains from the North usually a little biased?

Recommended Posts

Sample size might be less but from what I have heard Kapil used to be a little biased to by playing Chetan Sharma,Yograj Singh(even though Yograj disagrees)etc etc and ignoring bowling talent from the other parts of India.

 

Same was seen with a Dhoni who backed players who were close to him (even though I am ok with 2 players he backed :) )

 

Seeing the same trend with Kohli now.

 

I don’t think Ganguly,Azhar,Sachin,Dravid,Kumble or hell for the matter of fact Sunil Gavaskar were ever accused of showing bias on a regional basis.

 

This might be a little controversial and my intention is not to hurt anyone but it is just my personal observation.I can be wrong as well.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, maniac said:

Sample size might be less but from what I have heard Kapil used to be a little biased to by playing Chetan Sharma,Yograj Singh(even though Yograj disagrees)etc etc and ignoring bowling talent from the other parts of India.

 

Same was seen with a Dhoni who backed players who were close to him (even though I am ok with 2 players he backed :) )

 

Seeing the same trend with Kohli now.

 

I don’t think Ganguly,Azhar,Sachin,Dravid,Kumble or hell for the matter of fact Sunil Gavaskar were ever accused of showing bias on a regional basis.

 

This might be a little controversial and my intention is not to hurt anyone but it is just my personal observation.I can be wrong as well.

If ganguly isnt north how is dhoni north? :hmmm: 

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the story with Yograj was that Kapil didn't support him enough. Only played one Test IIRC. Dhoni may have had his biases but I don't recall him sabotaging the careers of proven performers when they were in their prime. Kohli really is in a league of his own.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, sscomp32 said:

If ganguly isnt north how is dhoni north? :hmmm: 

Seen India Map?....West Bengal is not North

 

Bihar usually  can fit in both North and East.depending on how you want to look at it.Jarkhand May be little towards east though

 

Anyways we are not arguing about geography of India.

Edited by maniac

Share this post


Link to post

Once again this is not to hurt the sentiments of anyone...Kapil,Dhoni and now unfortunately Kohli have had the reputation of being a little kliquish.this doesn’t reflect on an entire culture just the captains we have had from a cricketing culture POV.

Edited by maniac

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

I thought the story with Yograj was that Kapil didn't support him enough. Only played one Test IIRC. Dhoni may have had his biases but I don't recall him sabotaging the careers of proven performers when they were in the prime. Kohli really is in a league of his own.

Yeah but that is just a bitter failure complaining and blaming others for his failures...he shouldn’t have been picked ahead of others to begin with...his complain is more like Kambli blaming Sachin for not supporting him.

 

Yuvraj has said he knew Kapil since childhood and Kapil and his dad were family friends.

 

Ask @express bowling and @Rightarmfast they had pointed out a lot of fast bowling talent that were not tried during that time period.

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, maniac said:

 

I don’t think Ganguly,Azhar,Sachin,Dravid,Kumble or hell for the matter of fact Sunil Gavaskar were ever accused of showing bias on a regional basis.

 

 

Whenever Sachin became captain, Kambli used to come right back into the team.

 

Its true.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, maniac said:

Yeah but that is just a bitter failure complaining and blaming others for his failures...he shouldn’t have been picked ahead of others to begin with...his complain is more like Kambli blaming Sachin for not supporting him.

 

Yuvraj has said he knew Kapil since childhood and Kapil and his dad were family friends.

 

Ask @express bowling and @Rightarmfast they had pointed out a lot of fast bowling talent that were not tried during that time period.

I can accept some of the seamers may have flourished under a different captain during that time but what is happening right now is unparalleled (at least since the early to mid 90s). People who have already proven their worth in international cricket are being made to sit out for farcical reasons in favour of TTFs/has beens/never have beens. 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Whenever Sachin became captain, Kambli used to come right back into the team.

 

Its true.

 

 

 

 

I don't recall Sachin dropping the likes of Dravid and Ganguly or even Laxman (who was largely poor in the 90s) to keep Kambli in the Test side. In fact I don't think Kambli ever got picked in a Test where Sachin was the captain. Our current captain on the other hand has dropped Pujara for Rohit/Raina and Vijay/Rahul for Dhawan in Tests :cantstop:.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

I don't recall Sachin dropping the likes of Dravid and Ganguly or even Laxman (who was largely poor in the 90s) to keep Kambli in the Test side. In fact I don't think Kambli ever got picked in a Test where Sachin was the captain. Our current captain on the other hand has dropped Pujara for Rohit/Raina and Vijay/Rahul for Dhawan in Tests :cantstop:.

That doesn’t show any regionalism is what I said.

 

Kambli came back to the team regardless of the format.

 

Raina isn’t from Delhi.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

I don't recall Sachin dropping the likes of Dravid and Ganguly or even Laxman (who was largely poor in the 90s) to keep Kambli in the Test side. In fact I don't think Kambli ever got picked in a Test where Sachin was the captain. Our current captain on the other hand has dropped Pujara for Rohit/Raina and Vijay/Rahul for Dhawan in Tests :cantstop:.

Didn't kambli made a statement a couple years back on TV that Sachin didn't back him :cantstop:

Share this post


Link to post

@maniac you are spot on. But West players have also been biased. Wadekar was a biased captain who hated everyone close to Pataudi. Gavaskar was another biased captain who kept guys like Amarnath and Brijesh Patel on the sidelines to get his Bombay buddies in the team. IIRC he even dropped Kapil Dev once against England because he didn't want him to make some record....I wasn't born then but purely based on my recollection of reading these things. Sachin too was no saint, he gave chances to proper raddi Bombay players like Nilesh Kulkarni, Bahutule, Kuruvilla, Kanitkar, Mbhambrey etc....not remotely as bad as Kohli (he never dropped Kumble, Azhar, Ganguly, Srinath to accommodate these guys) but some bias cannot be ruled out. I have also read in a cricinfo article that Vijay Merchant too was a proper SOB whose world revolved only around Mumbai, he too had many tiffs with Pataudi when he was national selector. 

 

Worst are the Northie captains. Cool too is a northie, all my Bihari friends prefer to be associated with UP/Delhi than Bengal/Odisha/N.E. So why should the fatso be treated any differently?

 

Best are Bengal (Dada) and South captains. I have read only good things about Pataudi (remember he shifted to Hyderabad to learn captaincy from Jaisimha) and Dravid, Kumble, Srikanth, Vishy, Venkat were all fair captains. IMO even Azhar was fair in his selections, he never had this bias we see in the likes of Kohli and MSD. He was a crook but certainly fair in selection matters. 

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

@maniac you are spot on. But West players have also been biased. Wadekar was a biased captain who hated everyone close to Pataudi. Gavaskar was another biased captain who kept guys like Amarnath and Brijesh Patel on the sidelines to get his Bombay buddies in the team. IIRC he even dropped Kapil Dev once against England because he didn't want him to make some record....I wasn't born then but purely based on my recollection of reading these things. Sachin too was no saint, he gave chances to proper raddi Bombay players like Nilesh Kulkarni, Bahutule, Kuruvilla, Kanitkar, Mbhambrey etc....not remotely as bad as Kohli (he never dropped Kumble, Azhar, Ganguly, Srinath to accommodate these guys) but some bias cannot be ruled out. I have also read in a cricinfo article that Vijay Merchant too was a proper SOB whose world revolved only around Mumbai, he too had many tiffs with Pataudi when he was national selector. 

 

Worst are the Northie captains. Cool too is a northie, all my Bihari friends prefer to be associated with UP/Delhi than Bengal/Odisha/N.E. So why should the fatso be treated any differently?

 

Best are Bengal (Dada) and South captains. I have read only good things about Pataudi and Dravid, Kumble, Srikanth, Vishy, Venkat were all fair captains. IMO even Azhar was fair in his selections, he never had this bias we see in the likes of Kohli and MSD. He was a crook but certainly fair in selection matters. 

Yeah, lot of Southies came up with the term “Mumbai lobby.”

 

Funny shyt 

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, beetle said:

Hardly.He is as Uttarakhandi as Manish Pandey.

Pant is Uttarakhandi.

Really?? I thought pant is a Marathi surname...... पंत

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Didn't kambli made a statement a couple years back on TV that Sachin didn't back him :cantstop:

Yes he did on star plus TV show saach ka samna 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Really?? I thought pant is a Marathi surname...... पंत

Pants are from uttarakhand too.

They may have roots long time back in  maharastra.

People from maharastra , rajasthan , gujrat area migrated to the hills during Aurangzeb's time and then got assimilated with the local pahadis.

Hence you find common names like joshi, pandey ,pant.

Edited by beetle

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sscomp32 said:

If ganguly isnt north how is dhoni north? :hmmm: 

i think he is conflating Hindi belt with North zone. Edit: But if you change North Zone to Hindi-speaking, then it kind of makes sense. I mean Hindi-speaking people are the only ones who think their language is a "national language" .

Edited by abc

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Yeah, lot of Southies came up with the term “Mumbai lobby.”

 

Funny shyt 

You are confusing a strong board with a strong backing in the BCCI to bias of an individual captain. Mumbai lobby may exist but it has nothing to do with the captains.

 

in fact if you remember in the 90s the Indian team had almost 6-7 Karnataka players in the squad out of which only 3-4 were deserving. This was because of Brijesh Patel in the selection committee and not the bias of the captains Azhar or Sachin in that tenure.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

That doesn’t show any regionalism is what I said.

 

Kambli came back to the team regardless of the format.

 

Raina isn’t from Delhi.

Err...no. Tendulkar captained India in 98 games (73 ODIs + 25 Tests). Kambli played merely 16 ODIs under SRT and zero Tests. Heck, I doubt if he ever made the Test squad when Tendulkar was the captain.

 

LINK

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, maniac said:

Seen India Map?....West Bengal is not North

 

Bihar usually  can fit in both North and East.depending on how you want to look at it.Jarkhand May be little towards east though

 

Anyways we are not arguing about geography of India.

Isnt India basically just split North and South from a cultural perspective? If so east and west are merely administrative or logistical designations. My guess would be Bengal is as northern as Bihar or Jharkand. Certainly latitude wise if nothing else. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Kriterion said:

Isnt India basically just split North and South from a cultural perspective? If so east and west are merely administrative or logistical designations. My guess would be Bengal is as northern as Bihar or Jharkand. Certainly latitude wise if nothing else. 

Not really....Bengal,Gujarat,Maharashtra for eg are all cultured independent of a North identity.

Share this post


Link to post

Just FYI I had questioned Kumble for his K bias as well, so this is pure observation and not a a>b debate....I mean you did see some yedurappa/bangarappa type spinner making it to practice games under Kumble :giggle:

 

This is just from the reputations these captains have had comparison with others.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

One of my close friends is named Pant, he's a pahadi from Nainital. 

Ok, pant is a common surname in Maharashtra or parts of Maharashtra but I agree with @beetle as there were some migrations during Aurangzeb ere due to forced religious conversions

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Kriterion said:

Isnt India basically just split North and South from a cultural perspective? If so east and west are merely administrative or logistical designations. My guess would be Bengal is as northern as Bihar or Jharkand. Certainly latitude wise if nothing else. 

:blink::blink:cultural perspective !!

Have you ever been to east....or west? 

You mean biharis, bengalis, punjabis , haryanavis, gujratis , rajasthanis? Kashmiris , himanchalis, uttarakhandis, UPites, MPwalle etc etc are all similar culturally.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

What Kohli is doing is ofcourse unprecedented. However, if anyone thinks Dhoni was any less, they are fooling themselves. Whatever good work Ganguli did for India, Dhoni single handedly spoilt it. He is a born politician and businessman. Please dont forget his dirty affiliation with Srini. How would anyone know how many talents and how many lives Dhoni spoilt to keep his good friends in the team?

 

If anything, Kohli has only learnt it from Dhoni. Anyway, I think ego and dishonesty is not limited to north Indians. This intoxication of power has totally taken over Kohli but I think this intoxication of money and power has happened over the years, slowly from captain to captain. Some people like Azhar, kumble, dravid have been understated and wouldnt let things affect their personal behaviour. While some like Kohli want to force things. 

Whatever it is, the fans need to show these low lives their place. If they dont play responsibly, we should also boycott them

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

That doesn’t show any regionalism is what I said.

 

Kambli came back to the team regardless of the format.

 

Raina isn’t from Delhi.

Raina is ethnically Kashmiri Pandit

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Err...no. Tendulkar captained India in 98 games (73 ODIs + 25 Tests). Kambli played merely 16 ODIs under SRT and zero Tests. Heck, I doubt if he ever made the Test squad when Tendulkar was the captain.

 

LINK

You keep mentioning test when I mean to say it doesn’t matter as long as he came back and played for India.

 

Its not like showing regionlism for test is much worse than regionalism for ODI’s.

 

Regionalism is regionalism.

 

 

But important where I stand on this whole issue.

 

I don’t give a damn about what Tendulkar did honestly. He felt probabLu Kambli was good then and better than most . He was his favorite since he has played more with him. Similarly, Dhoni had his favorites and Kohli has his favorites. Every captain has his favorites, some they would have grown up with as in playing for the same state or somewhere in india A or some where. Doesn’t mean its regionalism.

 

Kumble’s K factor or whatever people talked about doesn’t mean there was regionalism necessarily.  It meant captain or player had more confidence in picking those players as he knew what those players can do since they had seen more of them and understood them better. Its not regionalism. Its just certain favorites due to the past experiences they have had with the players. They have more confidence in them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

You keep mentioning test when I mean to say it doesn’t matter as long as he came back and played for India.

 

Its not like showing regionlism for test is much worse than regionalism for ODI’s.

 

Regionalism is regionalism.

 

 

But important where I stand on this whole issue.

 

I don’t give a damn about what Tendulkar did honestly. He felt probabLu Kambli was good then and better than most . He was his favorite since he has played more with him. Similarly, Dhoni had his favorites and Kohli has his favorites. Every captain has his favorites, some they would have grown up with as in playing for the same state or somewhere in india A or some where. Doesn’t mean its regionalism.

 

Kumble’s K factor or whatever people talked about doesn’t mean there was regionalism necessarily.  It meant captain or player had more confidence in picking those players as he knew what those players can do since they had seen more of them and understood them better. Its not regionalism. Its just certain favorites due to the past experiences they have had with the players. They have more confidence in them. 

 

Your claim that Kambli came back to the team regardless of the format everytime when SRT was the captain doesn't stand up to scrutiny. At all. Not when he played 0 Tests out of 25. Not when he barely played 20% of the ODIs he captained. If you prefer to ignore the actual facts then I have nothing to say. Whitewashing Kohli's shenanigans by stating every captain has his favorites makes no sense. None of the captains in the last 2-3 decades have stooped to the level he has when it comes to partisan team selection. Btw I am not necessarily accusing Kohli of regionalism. I think he's either 1. Massively Corrupt (most likely) or 2. Thoroughly imcompetent. Either ways he's unfit to be an Indian captain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×