Controversial but are captains from the North usually a little biased?

maniac

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

I don't recall Sachin dropping the likes of Dravid and Ganguly or even Laxman (who was largely poor in the 90s) to keep Kambli in the Test side. In fact I don't think Kambli ever got picked in a Test where Sachin was the captain. Our current captain on the other hand has dropped Pujara for Rohit/Raina and Vijay/Rahul for Dhawan in Tests :cantstop:.

Didn't kambli made a statement a couple years back on TV that Sachin didn't back him :cantstop:

@maniac you are spot on. But West players have also been biased. Wadekar was a biased captain who hated everyone close to Pataudi. Gavaskar was another biased captain who kept guys like Amarnath and Brijesh Patel on the sidelines to get his Bombay buddies in the team. IIRC he even dropped Kapil Dev once against England because he didn't want him to make some record....I wasn't born then but purely based on my recollection of reading these things. Sachin too was no saint, he gave chances to proper raddi Bombay players like Nilesh Kulkarni, Bahutule, Kuruvilla, Kanitkar, Mbhambrey etc....not remotely as bad as Kohli (he never dropped Kumble, Azhar, Ganguly, Srinath to accommodate these guys) but some bias cannot be ruled out. I have also read in a cricinfo article that Vijay Merchant too was a proper SOB whose world revolved only around Mumbai, he too had many tiffs with Pataudi when he was national selector. 

Worst are the Northie captains. Cool too is a northie, all my Bihari friends prefer to be associated with UP/Delhi than Bengal/Odisha/N.E. So why should the fatso be treated any differently?

Best are Bengal (Dada) and South captains. I have read only good things about Pataudi (remember he shifted to Hyderabad to learn captaincy from Jaisimha) and Dravid, Kumble, Srikanth, Vishy, Venkat were all fair captains. IMO even Azhar was fair in his selections, he never had this bias we see in the likes of Kohli and MSD. He was a crook but certainly fair in selection matters. 

Edited by Gollum
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

@maniac you are spot on. But West players have also been biased. Wadekar was a biased captain who hated everyone close to Pataudi. Gavaskar was another biased captain who kept guys like Amarnath and Brijesh Patel on the sidelines to get his Bombay buddies in the team. IIRC he even dropped Kapil Dev once against England because he didn't want him to make some record....I wasn't born then but purely based on my recollection of reading these things. Sachin too was no saint, he gave chances to proper raddi Bombay players like Nilesh Kulkarni, Bahutule, Kuruvilla, Kanitkar, Mbhambrey etc....not remotely as bad as Kohli (he never dropped Kumble, Azhar, Ganguly, Srinath to accommodate these guys) but some bias cannot be ruled out. I have also read in a cricinfo article that Vijay Merchant too was a proper SOB whose world revolved only around Mumbai, he too had many tiffs with Pataudi when he was national selector. 

Worst are the Northie captains. Cool too is a northie, all my Bihari friends prefer to be associated with UP/Delhi than Bengal/Odisha/N.E. So why should the fatso be treated any differently?

Best are Bengal (Dada) and South captains. I have read only good things about Pataudi and Dravid, Kumble, Srikanth, Vishy, Venkat were all fair captains. IMO even Azhar was fair in his selections, he never had this bias we see in the likes of Kohli and MSD. He was a crook but certainly fair in selection matters. 

Yeah, lot of Southies came up with the term “Mumbai lobby.”

Funny shyt 

6 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Really?? I thought pant is a Marathi surname...... पंत

Pants are from uttarakhand too.

They may have roots long time back in  maharastra.

People from maharastra , rajasthan , gujrat area migrated to the hills during Aurangzeb's time and then got assimilated with the local pahadis.

Hence you find common names like joshi, pandey ,pant.

Edited by beetle
1 hour ago, sscomp32 said:

If ganguly isnt north how is dhoni north? :hmmm: 

i think he is conflating Hindi belt with North zone. Edit: But if you change North Zone to Hindi-speaking, then it kind of makes sense. I mean Hindi-speaking people are the only ones who think their language is a "national language" .

Edited by abc
6 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Yeah, lot of Southies came up with the term “Mumbai lobby.”

Funny shyt 

You are confusing a strong board with a strong backing in the BCCI to bias of an individual captain. Mumbai lobby may exist but it has nothing to do with the captains.

in fact if you remember in the 90s the Indian team had almost 6-7 Karnataka players in the squad out of which only 3-4 were deserving. This was because of Brijesh Patel in the selection committee and not the bias of the captains Azhar or Sachin in that tenure.

23 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

That doesn’t show any regionalism is what I said.

Kambli came back to the team regardless of the format.

Raina isn’t from Delhi.

Err...no. Tendulkar captained India in 98 games (73 ODIs + 25 Tests). Kambli played merely 16 ODIs under SRT and zero Tests. Heck, I doubt if he ever made the Test squad when Tendulkar was the captain.

LINK

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Seen India Map?....West Bengal is not North

Bihar usually  can fit in both North and East.depending on how you want to look at it.Jarkhand May be little towards east though

Anyways we are not arguing about geography of India.

Isnt India basically just split North and South from a cultural perspective? If so east and west are merely administrative or logistical designations. My guess would be Bengal is as northern as Bihar or Jharkand. Certainly latitude wise if nothing else. 

5 minutes ago, Kriterion said:

Isnt India basically just split North and South from a cultural perspective? If so east and west are merely administrative or logistical designations. My guess would be Bengal is as northern as Bihar or Jharkand. Certainly latitude wise if nothing else. 

Not really....Bengal,Gujarat,Maharashtra for eg are all cultured independent of a North identity.

Just FYI I had questioned Kumble for his K bias as well, so this is pure observation and not a a>b debate....I mean you did see some yedurappa/bangarappa type spinner making it to practice games under Kumble :giggle:

This is just from the reputations these captains have had comparison with others.