Controversial but are captains from the North usually a little biased?

maniac

11 minutes ago, Kriterion said:

Isnt India basically just split North and South from a cultural perspective? If so east and west are merely administrative or logistical designations. My guess would be Bengal is as northern as Bihar or Jharkand. Certainly latitude wise if nothing else. 

:blink::blink:cultural perspective !!

Have you ever been to east....or west? 

You mean biharis, bengalis, punjabis , haryanavis, gujratis , rajasthanis? Kashmiris , himanchalis, uttarakhandis, UPites, MPwalle etc etc are all similar culturally.

What Kohli is doing is ofcourse unprecedented. However, if anyone thinks Dhoni was any less, they are fooling themselves. Whatever good work Ganguli did for India, Dhoni single handedly spoilt it. He is a born politician and businessman. Please dont forget his dirty affiliation with Srini. How would anyone know how many talents and how many lives Dhoni spoilt to keep his good friends in the team?

If anything, Kohli has only learnt it from Dhoni. Anyway, I think ego and dishonesty is not limited to north Indians. This intoxication of power has totally taken over Kohli but I think this intoxication of money and power has happened over the years, slowly from captain to captain. Some people like Azhar, kumble, dravid have been understated and wouldnt let things affect their personal behaviour. While some like Kohli want to force things. 

Whatever it is, the fans need to show these low lives their place. If they dont play responsibly, we should also boycott them

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Err...no. Tendulkar captained India in 98 games (73 ODIs + 25 Tests). Kambli played merely 16 ODIs under SRT and zero Tests. Heck, I doubt if he ever made the Test squad when Tendulkar was the captain.

LINK

You keep mentioning test when I mean to say it doesn’t matter as long as he came back and played for India.

Its not like showing regionlism for test is much worse than regionalism for ODI’s.

Regionalism is regionalism.

But important where I stand on this whole issue.

I don’t give a damn about what Tendulkar did honestly. He felt probabLu Kambli was good then and better than most . He was his favorite since he has played more with him. Similarly, Dhoni had his favorites and Kohli has his favorites. Every captain has his favorites, some they would have grown up with as in playing for the same state or somewhere in india A or some where. Doesn’t mean its regionalism.

Kumble’s K factor or whatever people talked about doesn’t mean there was regionalism necessarily.  It meant captain or player had more confidence in picking those players as he knew what those players can do since they had seen more of them and understood them better. Its not regionalism. Its just certain favorites due to the past experiences they have had with the players. They have more confidence in them. 

4 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

You keep mentioning test when I mean to say it doesn’t matter as long as he came back and played for India.

Its not like showing regionlism for test is much worse than regionalism for ODI’s.

Regionalism is regionalism.

But important where I stand on this whole issue.

I don’t give a damn about what Tendulkar did honestly. He felt probabLu Kambli was good then and better than most . He was his favorite since he has played more with him. Similarly, Dhoni had his favorites and Kohli has his favorites. Every captain has his favorites, some they would have grown up with as in playing for the same state or somewhere in india A or some where. Doesn’t mean its regionalism.

Kumble’s K factor or whatever people talked about doesn’t mean there was regionalism necessarily.  It meant captain or player had more confidence in picking those players as he knew what those players can do since they had seen more of them and understood them better. Its not regionalism. Its just certain favorites due to the past experiences they have had with the players. They have more confidence in them. 

Your claim that Kambli came back to the team regardless of the format everytime when SRT was the captain doesn't stand up to scrutiny. At all. Not when he played 0 Tests out of 25. Not when he barely played 20% of the ODIs he captained. If you prefer to ignore the actual facts then I have nothing to say. Whitewashing Kohli's shenanigans by stating every captain has his favorites makes no sense. None of the captains in the last 2-3 decades have stooped to the level he has when it comes to partisan team selection. Btw I am not necessarily accusing Kohli of regionalism. I think he's either 1. Massively Corrupt (most likely) or 2. Thoroughly imcompetent. Either ways he's unfit to be an Indian captain. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Your claim that Kambli came back to the team regardless of the format everytime when SRT was the captain doesn't stand up to scrutiny. At all. Not when he played 0 Tests out of 25. Not when he barely played 20% of the ODIs he captained. If you prefer to ignore the actual facts then I have nothing to say. Whitewashing Kohli's shenanigans by stating every captain has his favorites makes no sense. None of the captains in the last 2-3 decades have stooped to the level he has when it comes to partisan team selection. Btw I am not necessarily accusing Kohli of regionalism. I think he's either 1. Massively Corrupt (most likely) or 2. Thoroughly imcompetent. Either ways he's unfit to be an Indian captain. 

Have you considered a 3rd option that he believed these players to be the best for the task? It is sort of point 2, being incompetent, but remember one of his punts paid back in terms of Pandya! 

On Topic, this has been Indian cricket story all along. Earlier the selectors used to force non-deserving players and the stronger regions had more representation. Now there is less regionalism, but Captains have always had their favorite players. Present always appears to be the worst since it is most fresh.. i remember we used to say the same for Jadeja & Dhoni!  

1 minute ago, kruiser said:

On Topic, this has been Indian cricket story all along. Earlier the selectors used to force non-deserving players and the stronger regions had more representation. Now there is less regionalism, but Captains have always had their favorite players. Present always appears to be the worst since it is most fresh.. i remember we used to say the same for Jadeja & Dhoni!  

There were allegations about caste bias in some circles with Dhoni and Jadeja as they are from the same caste but that is a little too much.

Also the fact is I am not accusing these “Northie captains” as “regionalist”....they have a very myopic vision...I mean they might get along with South Indians from big cities but it is not like they will make  some talent say from rural Assam or Orissa fit in. 

Kapil always came across as kliquish and so

does Kohli, look at the crowd he hangs out with...nothing wrong with that from a personal perspective but it usually translates to on field as well.

24 minutes ago, kruiser said:

Have you considered a 3rd option that he believed these players to be the best for the task? It is sort of point 2, being incompetent, but remember one of his punts paid back in terms of Pandya!

Well if he genuinely thinks Dhawan/Rohit are better equipped to deal with a SA attack compared to someone like Rahane then he needs to have his head checked. And this ain't the first time he's done something like this. He also dropped Vijay for Dhawan in the WI with absolutely no justification. A punt on Pandya was understandable because 1. He ain't a proven failure in Tests 2. He wasn't unfairly replacing a seam bowling all-rounder who has already delivered in Tests.

@Cricketics @PBN @Under_Score @sscomp32 Etc....don’t take this as a personal attack. This is has nothing to do with cultures or regions but just based on cricketers we have seen.

if people look at Laxman,Dravid,Srinath,Ashwin etc and form the opinion that South Indian

cricketers are not aggressive on the field or something, it might just be an observational thing based on the body language of those set of players...it doesn’t mean South India cricketers in general are meek and timid.That could be a  generalization based on what you are viewing just like the topic of this thread.

I have only pointed out what I have observed.

Also this is not about regionalism,This is just my take that It could be because most South Indian cricketers who have represented India are from big cities like Hyderabad,Bangalore,Chennai (may be not so much multi culturalism here as the rest) where there is a lot of  multi culturalism just like the case with Mumbai or Kolkata .

So these guys from big cities can get along with anyone..on the other hand someone from a small city like Dhoni or Kapil Dev might find hard to relate to everyone especially from the southern states.

That is why Sreeshanth who was from Kerala again not so much multi culturalism going on in his city ,had a tough time to adjust and relate to others (even though it could be that he was plain obnoxious to begin with) while on the other hand someone like Ashwin,Vijay got along just fine.

Surprisingly people from Delhi etc are like that too from personal experience.They don’t have a lot of exposure to a lot of cultures compared to other big cities...not sure why? again this is just my personal view.I apologize for that sterotype

I am sure if a small town cricketer from South India becomes captain that might change things to justify why these captains have the bias  

so let us hope we see that to prove my theory this happens .....Hanuma Vihari for test captaincy :isalute:

Edited by maniac

I also noticed on ICF that posters from the North also tend to hype up their players ridiculously.

Pant is supposedly the next coming of Gilchirst, Sobers and Bradman put together.

Now I personally think Pant has a bright future in team India. But I do get a feeling that posters from the north are pushing rather hard.

Another one was Deepak Hooda. A few strong performances in the IPL and Jadeja was in the firing line.

This is the dumbest thread on this forum in a long time. There are biases but to say that North captains are thw worst is over the top. I remember the day when every "kar" was in the team because of Mumbai lobby. I also remeber the day when Azharu kept Sidhu out of the team without informing him. I have seen bias all around. I also remeber how shamelessly Dravid pushed that sheet show Binny in the team. 

So kindly dont generalize.

The most fair was Saurav Ganguly. I have yet to see anyone as fair as him.

Only remedy is three format three captains two coaches.

30 minutes ago, Khota said:

This is the dumbest thread on this forum in a long time. There are biases but to say that North captains are thw worst is over the top. I remember the day when every "kar" was in the team because of Mumbai lobby. I also remeber the day when Azharu kept Sidhu out of the team without informing him. I have seen bias all around. I also remeber how shamelessly Dravid pushed that sheet show Binny in the team. 

So kindly dont generalize.

The most fair was Saurav Ganguly. I have yet to see anyone as fair as him.

Only remedy is three format three captains two coaches.

When did that happen? :blink: