How much should Parthiv Patel average to compensate for his keeping viz a viz Saha?

Gollum

Right now Saha averages 30.63, Parthiv 33.77...a difference of just 3 !!!!

Outside India Saha averages 29.47 while Parthiv averages 25.50.....Saha gets 4 runs more per innings on an average. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/279810.html?class=1;home_or_away=2;template=results;type=allround

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/32242.html?class=1;home_or_away=2;template=results;type=batting

Parthiv has 0 100s, Saha has 3 100s. Both have 1 50+ score every 4 matches. 

No one can tell with a straight face that Patel is a better batsman.

Now coming to keeping: Parthiv has missed 9 catches in 3.5 tests beginning from his 2016 comeback. In the last 17 completed tests Saha missed just 4 catches. Moreover some of the blinders Saha takes won't even be considered as chances for any other keeper in world cricket. By most estimates Saha is the greatest pure keeper at least in the last 2 decades, he may or may not be Alan Knott level behind the stumps, I won't judge because I haven't seen Knott keeping. I genuinely believe since I started watching cricket only may be Healy can be compared to Saha. OTOH Parthiv is the worst keeper in history of cricket. Yet team management and some fans believe Saha should be replaced by Parthiv, I don't understand how or why?

Simple question, how much should Parthiv average to compensate for his dreadful keeping. He drops 3 catches per test, Saha drops 1 catch in 4 tests. So in a 4 test series you would expect Parthiv to drop 12 catches and Saha to drop just one. Assuming each drop costs India 30 runs (being very liberal here because we have to look at partnerships and not merely batsmen score after any drop catch, moreover bowlers lose rhythm after drops), that is additional 360 runs. 

If Saha plays all 8 innings you expect him to get 240 runs, Parthiv needs to get 600 runs in those 8 innings just to be at par with Saha. in short PP needs to average 75 just to equal Saha. Right now he averages 33, outside India it is a pitiable 25. Great keeper batsmen like Gilchrist, Andy Flower, Sangakkara averaged at least 20 short of the 75 mark at the peak of their powers. Patel is 33 years old, same age as Saha...unlikely they will get into Steve Smith territory with the bat anytime soon. What is Kohli smoking?

Edited by Gollum
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

2 genuine dollies and 1 going towards Kohli, he deflected with his gloves. 

Are you referring to this two-handed fumble down the leg side? What was the other one?

I'm not sure you can count the deflection onto Kohli as a drop.

Parthiv should never have been in our test squad though .That's wholly on Kohli and his incompetence.

When Saha got injured against England , we should have tried a young keeper ,Pant or someone similar , but no Kohli obsession with experience (regardless of how useless it is ) meant we had to put up with Patel.There were plenty who defended that decision.Not surprising I suppose when Kohli was picking Mishra ahead of Kuldeep in a dead rubber .

Because of those moronic decision now we are stuck with useless Parthiv when Saha is injured.

Parthiv should never have made comeback into Indian team.And the worst thing is he will still be part of our squad for England tour as well.

52 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Right now Saha averages 30.63, Parthiv 33.77...a difference of just 3 !!!!

Outside India Saha averages 29.47 while Parthiv averages 25.50.....Saha gets 4 runs more per innings on an average. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/279810.html?class=1;home_or_away=2;template=results;type=allround

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/32242.html?class=1;home_or_away=2;template=results;type=batting

Parthiv has 0 100s, Saha has 3 100s. Both have 1 50+ score every 4 matches. 

No one can tell with a straight face that Patel is a better batsman.

Now coming to keeping: Parthiv has missed 9 catches in 3.5 tests beginning from his 2016 comeback. In the last 17 completed tests Saha missed just 4 catches. Moreover some of the blinders Saha takes won't even be considered as chances for any other keeper in world cricket. By most estimates Saha is the greatest pure keeper at least in the last 2 decades, he may or may not be Alan Knott level behind the stumps, I won't judge because I haven't seen Knott keeping. I genuinely believe since I started watching cricket only may be Healy can be compared to Saha. OTOH Parthiv is the worst keeper in history of cricket. Yet team management and some fans believe Saha should be replaced by Parthiv, I don't understand how or why?

Simple question, how much should Parthiv average to compensate for his dreadful keeping. He drops 3 catches per test, Saha drops 1 catch in 4 tests. So in a 4 test series you would expect Parthiv to drop 12 catches and Saha to drop just one. Assuming each drop costs India 30 runs (being very liberal here because we have to look at partnerships and not merely batsmen score after any drop catch, moreover bowlers lose rhythm after drops), that is additional 360 runs. 

If Saha plays all 8 innings you expect him to get 240 runs, Parthiv needs to get 600 runs in those 8 innings just to be at par with Saha. in short PP needs to average 75 just to equal Saha. Right now he averages 33, outside India it is a pitiable 25. Great keeper batsmen like Gilchrist, Andy Flower, Sangakkara averaged at least 20 short of the 75 mark at the peak of their powers. Patel is 33 years old, same age as Saha...unlikely they will get into Steve Smith territory with the bat anytime soon. What is Kohli smoking?

No he is not an Alan Knott but he is good 

2 minutes ago, New guy said:

Easy catch dropped off ashwin. A feather edge which had no deflection

Some agenda driven posters will try as usual to defend PP here. On one hand we have Saha holding on to thick edges and here Parthiv can't even catch feather nicks, kya din aa gaye hai !!!

2 minutes ago, goose said:

Surely the greater debate is whether Saha was truly injured?

Prem Panicker reckons he was 100% fit even moments before the toss, says the decision to replace him with PP was made 2-3 days in advance, Saha injury was just another lie by our great captain. 

Edited by Gollum