Ideal test 11 for tests played outside Asia

zen

For the overseas season over the next 18-24 months, what would your ideal 11 be for tests overseas (outside Asia). And if someone can advise Ind's upcoming tours. I know that the next one is in July 2018 in Eng

It is understood that Kohli's random test 11 selection method could mean that there could be no consistency 

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Rahane

Saha (if Pant is shaping up well as a WK batsman, would like to see him in the squad)

Pandya (will give him a run to be groomed)

Kuldeep (can be useful on most surfaces. Spin offers variety unless conditions totally favor quicks)

Bhuvi (mainly to go for wkts in session one)

2 pacers from Shami if not struggling, Yadav, I read the name of Saini(?), ....

As they say bowlers should be played based on current form. Batsmen based on class

Rahul

Vijay

Pujara 

Kohli

Rahane

Pandya

Saha

Ash/Kuldeep

Bhuvi (definitely deserves a place) 

Shami(if stays fit) 

Bumrah/Yadav

Would like to see Porel & Nagarkoti being given chances.

The problem is the spot of Pujara & Saha, if they continue to fail in future we don't have much options. 

Edit: Forgot to add Shaw in the lineup, Shaw could prove himself useful in top 3.

Edited by Turning_track
41 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Ashein with his batting choses himself over any other spinner. Like Kumble.

For me, bowlers are picked based on ability to pick wkts and form first unless selected as an allrounder. At #8, bowling comes first. If equal, then other aspects 

Lot of selection and performance problems arise in tests because we try to do too many things including selecting bowlers based on ability to bat and not leak runs (LOI metrics) and batsmen's abiliity to bowl and score quickly (LOI metrics)

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, zen said:

For the overseas season over the next 18-24 months, what would your ideal 11 be for tests overseas (outside Asia). And if someone can advise Ind's upcoming tours. I know that the next one is in July 2018 in Eng

It is understood that Kohli's random test 11 selection method could mean that there could be no consistency 

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Rahane

Saha (if Pant is shaping up well as a WK batsman, would like to see him in the squad)

Pandya (will give him a run to be groomed)

Kuldeep (can be useful on most surfaces. Spin offers variety unless conditions totally favor quicks)

Bhuvi (mainly to go for wkts in session one)

2 pacers from Shami if not struggling, Yadav, I read the name of Saini(?), ....

As they say bowlers should be played based on current form. Batsmen based on class

Use Pujara as an opener, how about that?

Lokesh

Pujara

Rahane (replace him or Kohli with Shaw in future)

Kohli

Shreyas

Pant

Hardik

Ashwin/Kuldeep

Bhuvneshwar

Bumrah

Nagarkoti

M.Vijay - The best out of the three openers we have. Still has the ability to see off the new ball. Should be persisted in all tests

Rahul - Someone should assure him his place is not a threat. 

Pujara - **** Intent. Best no 3 we have

Kohli- 

Rahane - No brainer. Everyone knows how important he is except shastriji

Pandya 

Ashwin - many people say kuldeep. But have to understand batsman don't come after the bowlers in test cricket. Bowlers have to create pressure with dot balls and be patient. Wrist spin is difficult to control and I don't want a long hop every over. Kuldeep is a very good 2nd or 3rd spinner but I can never see him as a lone spinner overseas

Bhuvi 

Ishanth

Shami

Wicketkeeper I honestly can't chose. Saha TBH looks like a walking wicket in seaming conditions. PP is also not a very good test match batsman. I would prefer DK but last I heard his keeping has got very bad. 

We need to  be clear in our minds for few things.. 

-Dhawan and rohit are grt odi players but are flat track bulies and should never be selected outside asia ever

-If we are going to play 5 bowlers then it is very important that our keeper must bat like bairstow or kock. 

-Bhuvi is different from all other pacers and with his batting abilities he is a must irespective of the condition outside sub continent 

-If pandya is not good enough to give us wickets consistently no point playing him just for the sake of playing an all rounder..

-If the wicket is bowling friendly 4 bowlers are more then enough. 

-rahane to captain in tests and sharma in odi/t20s coz virat just cant select team. Everything is inferior then his gut feeling.. We get away with all this in asia. So dont read to much into kohli's sub continent captaincy record. 

So my team will be.. 

Vijay:

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Rahane

Shreyas/pandya

Pant

Ashwin

Bhuvi

Shami

Ishant

I guess the overall consensus was that the selectors had selected a good squad as a whole for the SA tour. They were the best they could, isn't it?. The problems started with wrong selections of playing 11. Some of those who were on bench for first test  (Rahul + Ajinkya) should have been in playing 11, and those who were on bench for 2nd test (Bhuvi + Ajinkya) should have bene in playing 11.