Kohli helped Pandya in judging the ball movement

Kohli had seen all his batting partners struggle against the moving ball, so he ensured he let Pandya know which side the ball would reverse. If the shiny side was away from the batsman, meaning the ball would reverse away from Pandya, Kohli had his bat in the left hand while he was at the non-striker's end, indicating that it would swing further to the offside. When the bowler got one to reverse in, Kohli would switch the bat to his right hand, giving Pandya an early advantage of knowing that it would come in to him.

This helped Pandya jump outside of offstump to play the outswingers, and stay on his guard for the ones swinging in.

This was once again on display in the 61st over of the match, when Pandya was facing Morkel. In the first screen grab, ball no. 60.2, Kohli is seen holding the bat to the left, and Pandya, on cue, walks across the stumps. Soon after that ball, Pandya tells Kohli of the troubles he's facing spotting which side the shine was on. With light fading, Pandya tells Kohli 'ball kaala kar diya,' (the ball has gotten dark). Kohli however assures his batting partner that he has got his back. Wohi mujhe dikh raha hai, main bataoonga (I can see that, I will inform you).

Two balls later, for the inswinger, Kohli has his bat in his right hand, and Pandya stays where he is and defends it with ease.

prv_1515955741.jpeg

prv_1515955743.jpeg

At one point, Kohli even used his feet to send a message to Pandya. Outswinger - left leg out; Inswinger - right leg out.

Kohli had been batting on a different plane compared to the rest of the Indian batters, scoring a fluent 85 not out even as the line-up crumbled around him. Quite understandable then that the Indian captain was able to see clearly what the bowlers were trying. Even while he was batting, he made it a point to be in Pandya's ears about what the bowlers were trying to do.

In the 60th over, bowled by Philander, Kohli was informing Hardik what Philander was bowling at him.

Kohli: Yahan pe change kiya [He changed it here]

Hardik: Andar ke liye leke hi bhaagaa tha [He ran in with the one that would originally come in]

Virat: Jo leke niklega agar change karega toh uska opposite hai [The side of the ball he runs in with, if he changes, it will go the opposite way]

Hardik: Main bataaun aapko? [Should I tell you on spotting?]

Virat: Nahin nahin, mujhe dikha, main bataa raha hun.. [No, no.. I picked it, I am just telling you]

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/99655/virat-kohli-plays-spotter-for-hardik-pandya-bat-left-hand-right-hand-reverse-swing-india-south-africa-centurion-test-2018-day-2

Good observation, and brilliant communication. 

He is a gun batsman. Has mastered the art of batsmanship. Hope he continues to score more and more, especially in tougher situations like the last test match.

Being a senior and experienced player he is bound to share such insights with other team mates on and off the field. I am sure other senior players/captains did the same during their playing days. 

Also, it does look like PR article. He would be doing this day in day out in every match and practice, I guess. Looking at the things that has been happening recently, his PR machinery might be working overtime to come back into the game and Kohli will act like he is in control and stuff for eg like how he was almost justifying Ishant's selection over bhuvi when he got AB out.

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

Smart :hatsoff: why didn’t he do it for other players :hitler:

This is probably basic observation. Something all batsmen try to do nowadays when reverse swing is going on. 

What's brilliant is communication. Here we have a match with 3 run outs with poor communication and judgement and on the other hand this.

Just now, Trichromatic said:

This is probably basic observation. Something all batsmen try to do nowadays when reverse swing is going on. 

What's brilliant is communication. Here we have a match with 3 run outs with poor communication and judgement and on the other hand this.

I think the ball was not very visible in the end as well and I heard Pandya saying that the South Africans have made it even more dirty to make it tough to spot.

Overall very good awareness