How vital was the toss to the fortunes of India ?

rtmohanlal

I'm surprised that this fact hasn't been mentioned much but yes, I agree with you- the toss was a big deal, especially here at Centurion. Batting last on a pitch like this was always going to be tough.

India, despite their consistent mistakes with bat, ball, and fielding have actually been able to almost match the South Africans, in both tests. I find that encouraging as this is a really good South African side. But this is a cruel sport and it looks like we'll be going down  2-0. A toss win here would have given us a great chance to level the series.

It’s a valid excuse, and Indian pundits on TV were too coward to mention “winning toss was crucial”

Both Tests wickets were poor quality, and batting 1st was big advantage 

But neverthless India batting unit could have shown better technical ability during tough phases 

on plus side India’s home domination makes it all more sweeter considering Kohli has horrible toss record

2 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

In First test we got the best bowling conditions, on Day 1 and after rained out 3rd Day when the ball was doing a lot after rain. Still we did zilch with our batting. Let us not be sore losers, and accept we were not good enough toss or not.

I have a small hope that if we bat first vijay and Pujara will be cool and succeed. :/

9 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Toss put SA ahead by 30-40 runs in both matches. But if you're planning to win a test match then you have to ahead by 100 runs anyway. 

No, if you are planning to win test matches, you will have to take your catches which we did not take. You cannot win after 9-10 drops in two tests. This was what we are fearing before this test series had started.

9 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Toss put SA ahead by 30-40 runs in both matches. But if you're planning to win a test match then you have to ahead by 100 runs anyway. 

i think, In first game, we were at advantage despite loosing toss(first session and then when it rained before Africa came to bat.

Batting First is always Advantage as Batsman can play with out pressure.Sa pitches generally get quicker on 2nd and 3 rd day even in first test the pitch got quicker on day 2 .If we win toss at joberg and hold on to catches we can win.