Take a look at this video:

Gori hain Kalaiyan

It pretty much covers all the major Chit Chat topics on the website.

For the benefit of @velu and others who do not understand Hindi and/or are generally slow, let me explain:

The video is from the movie Aaj ka Arjun, from 1990. A time of deep turmoil and cataclysmic changes in the country.

The songs starts with Gauri (Jaya Prada) asking Bheema (Amitabh Bachchan) to buy her green bangles. 

Seems like an innocuous request. But its layered meaning is well masked.

1) Tu la de mujhe hari hari chudiyan. I have never heard a girl request for specifically for green bangles. This has to be a passive aggressive attempt by Bollywood to appease Muslims, at the behest of the central government. You know, as Muslims don't watch movies otherwise. 

2) The names are also chosen quite strategically. Bheema (indicating a person from the lower strata of the society, possibly a follower of Dr Ambedkar) is harassed by Gauri ( a forward caste damsel) into buying her new bangles, which would only result in further economic ruin of Bheema. 

3) At 4:39-4:40 Bheema slaps Gauri for no real reason and she is unconscious momentarily. Only to get up a few seconds later and continue singing this inane song. Not sure the feminists would be happy here. What are they trying to say here? Its okay to slap a girl and expect her level of affection towards her husband/ paramour to not change.

The song is much ahead of its times. Managed to troll all groups together. Discuss.

Edited by Mariyam
typos

These bollywood songs !

I was listening to the song ' mohe rang do laal ' from  Baji Rao mastaani.

My kid asked me about the song and I actually paid attention to the song ....

The woman is just asking the guy to stop flirting and indulging in foreplay and just do it.:blink::blink:because he seems to be rough guy.:fear1:

Chedu nahi bas rang do laal.....:p:

Edited by beetle

2 hours ago, beetle said:

These bollywood songs !

I was listening to the song ' mohe rang do laal ' from  Baji Rao mastaani.

My kid asked me about the song and I actually paid attention to the song ....

The woman is just asking the guy to stop flirting and indulging in foreplay and just do it.:blink::blink:because he seems to be rough guy.:fear1:

Chedu nahi bas rang do laal.....:p:

another one on similar lines .. ( someone translated :p ) 

Lol. There's so many.

Sarkai Lo Khatiya

Chad Gaya Upar Re

Din Mein leti Hai, Raat mein leti hai

Aaja.. Le Loon Teri

At least the last one from regional genius Dada Kondke was no holds barred and no apologies enough to be funny.  The others are on the creepier side,  

Edited by NameGoesHere

On 1/17/2018 at 7:05 PM, NameGoesHere said:

Lol. There's so many.

Sarkai Lo Khatiya

Chad Gaya Upar Re

Din Mein leti Hai, Raat mein leti hai

Aaja.. Le Loon Teri

At least the last one from regional genius Dada Kondke was no holds barred and no apologies enough to be funny.  The others are on the creepier side,  

All of these are very obvious double entendres. Some just blatantly crass.

Its fun when its subtle, like in the OP.

11 hours ago, Texy said:

Mariyam can do PhD on bollywood :phehe:

And so can you. :)

This is something that I've observed here on ICF. The NRI/PIO community consumes just as much of Bollywood as us back home, especially in their formative years. But somehow they just aren't willing to accept it.

Amirite?

@Texy

@coffee_rules

@G_B_

@Texan

@maniac

@Muloghonto

@Laaloo

and the others.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

And so can you. :)

This is something that I've observed here on ICF. The NRI/PIO community consumes just as much of Bollywood as us back home, especially in their formative years. But somehow they just aren't willing to accept it.

Amirite?

@Texy

@coffee_rules

@G_B_

@Texan

@maniac

@Muloghonto

@Laaloo

and the others.

Personally, I don't. I've watched maybe 4-5 hindi movies (or Bong for that matter) in the last decade...I do catch the songs/songs sequences on youtube but that's usually it. 

Maybe its to do with my taste, but I don't like the style of Bollywood acting...hardly anyone acts 'normal' in their movies...everyone is either so 'joshilla/super-motivated/super good/super bad/super chatty/- just overdone' is what I find. Amir Khan is the rare exception I find, but practically everyone around him...overacts I find. Occasionally I find good/great movies and watch them- like Pink. 

I used to be the kid who'd skip lunch so I could save the money and go to the movies atleast once a week all through school. How times change :)

That being said, I am not really a tv person outside of sports- I maybe watch 3-4 hrs of tv per week max. and half of it is sports. Usually I am out doing stuff, so combining that with plentiful western movies/media, I hardly ever dabble in BW till I go back to motherland.

Edited by Muloghonto