Under Mamata Banerjee, West Bengal turning Best Bengal: Mukesh Ambani

velu

Praising the chief minister for making West Bengal the number one state in terms of ease of doing business, Reliance Industries Limited Chairman Mukesh Ambani on Tuesday said the state is becoming “Best Bengal” under Mamata Banerjee’s leadership.

ambani-759.jpg

“Bengal has said goodbye to the slow growth rate of the past. It is now embracing the future with the grace and agility of the Bengal tiger. Today, the state is famous for ease of doing business… A miracle has happened because of an industrial peace and pace. Under her (Mamata’s) leadership, West Bengal is becoming Best Bengal,” he said at the Bengal Global Business Summit. Ambani announced that his company will manufacture mobile phones and set-top boxes in the state and invest Rs 5,000 crore in non-Jio businesses in the next three years.

:rotfl:

what was he smoking ? @Trichromatic   @Malcolm Merlyn

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/under-mamata-bengal-turning-best-bengal-mukesh-ambani-5027802/

last year when I was in India, met up with a long lost friend who's now inherited his family's conglomerate business. Was shocked when he said he moved his telephone pole factory from Indore to Durgapur...I was like 'dude, you moved a factory out of MP and into Bongland ?! like that's hara-kiri'. He laughed and said that the problem in Bengal, is beurocracy and government corruption is too big. Too much bribing needs to be done to get the permits and crap on time, etc. but apparently Bong workers are hardworkers, much harder workers than the ones from Rajasthan, Haryana/MP/Punjab area. ( he prefers his manufacturing in Gujju-Tamil-Marathi land but says land price there for his type of factory is too big, so Bengal-Bihar is a better bet). 

Blew my mind....

Edited by Muloghonto

On 1/20/2018 at 7:01 AM, Muloghonto said:

last year when I was in India, met up with a long lost friend who's now inherited his family's conglomerate business. Was shocked when he said he moved his telephone pole factory from Indore to Durgapur...I was like 'dude, you moved a factory out of MP and into Bongland ?! like that's hara-kiri'. He laughed and said that the problem in Bengal, is beurocracy and government corruption is too big. Too much bribing needs to be done to get the permits and crap on time, etc. but apparently Bong workers are hardworkers, much harder workers than the ones from Rajasthan, Haryana/MP/Punjab area. ( he prefers his manufacturing in Gujju-Tamil-Marathi land but says land price there for his type of factory is too big, so Bengal-Bihar is a better bet). 

Blew my mind....

I think you've gotten it all mixed up here.

In Bengal, the labour unions are quite strong. The government is helpless (or colludes) with the demands, many a times unreasonable ones at that, of the unions. Completely scuttles all industry. In Gujarat/Tamil Nadu, the Unions are a lot better regulated.

I wouldn't generalize on which community works harder. But most of the times, its the migrants who tend to work harder and at or below minimum wage.

My family (and me) run manufacturing plants in a few states and my experience says that Gujarat/Karnataka/Tamil Nadu are by far top destinations for manufacturing. Maharashtra is not that far behind. I mean in terms of access to capital, transportation, labour issues, power situation, SEZs and sops from the state etc.

Having said that, Mamta di is trying to reduce the red tape and control the Unions. But its an uphill task, given that the Unions tend to vote for her en masse. She risks alienating them to the CPM/Congress. Or so is the grapevine from industry insiders. Lot of Marwari businesses are slowly moving out of West Bengal and moving to South. These are businesses that have been in Kolkata/Bengal for generations. Probably @Malcolm Merlyn would give you a clearer picture.

Edited by Mariyam

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I think you've gotten it all mixed up here.

In Bengal, the labour unions are quite strong. The government is helpless (or colludes) with the demands, many a times unreasonable ones at that, of the unions. Completely scuttles all industry. In Gujarat/Tamil Nadu, the Unions are a lot better regulated.

I wouldn't generalize on which community works harder. But most of the times, its the migrants who tend to work harder and at or below minimum wage.

My family (and me) run manufacturing plants in a few states and my experience says that Gujarat/Karnataka/Tamil Nadu are by far top destinations for manufacturing. Maharashtra is not that far behind. I mean in terms of access to capital, transportation, labour issues, power situation, SEZs and sops from the state etc.

Having said that, Mamta di is trying to reduce the red tape and control the Unions. But its an uphill task, given that the Unions tend to vote for her en masse. She risks alienating them to the CPM/Congress. Or so is the grapevine from industry insiders. Lot of Marwari businesses are slowly moving out of West Bengal and moving to South. These are businesses that have been in Kolkata/Bengal for generations. Probably @Malcolm Merlyn would give you a clearer picture.

hey, i am equally surprised at you that someone would shut down a factory in MP and move it to Bongland, stating that 'they are all lazy over there'...

Maybe you are right about migrants, because Kolkata is chock-full of Bihari migrants and they are some of the hardest working, no-complaints kind of people i've ever run into.

On 1/20/2018 at 7:01 AM, Muloghonto said:

Blew my mind....

The Asansol-Durgapur-Burdwan belt is growing like crazy, traveled along the NH 2 route in that stretch a couple of years back, its now choc a bloc with factories and workshops, drastic change even compared to say 2010. B.C. Roy's vision is finally beginning to take shape, albeit a few decades late.