Virat Kohli : worst captain in international cricket ever ?

Muloghonto

Just now, maniac said:

Well you seemed to have played domestic cricket with everyone from Ranjit Singhji to Rishabh Pant...why don’t you educate us why a captain does that in a tight game?

Not quite everyone and I don't remember saying I played domestic in India there are other places other than India that plays cricket and low and behold Indians do come out of India to play as do other nations cricketers .

The reason he fielded there is part of his problem ; he thinks only he can do something  and trusts nobody in the team and also his ego wanting to be the person in the deep catching it because he knew it was going  to be hit there.  

Kumble episode now looks like some Ekta kapoor serial which was being played in front of us. So easily changed the perception.

You accuse your coach of being too bossy and accusing him for hurting player morale, fitness, performances, etc. And then eventually removing him to become a boss yourself and do those things taking it couple of notch above kumble.

1 minute ago, Tattieboy said:

Not quite everyone and I don't remember saying I played domestic in India there are other places other than India that plays cricket and low and behold Indians do come out of India to play as do other nations cricketers .

The reason he fielded there is part of his problem ; he thinks only he can do something  and trusts nobody in the team and also his ego wanting to be the person in the deep catching it because he knew it was going  to be hit there.  

Another eg. of his ego is standing in the slips despite being the worst slipper on par with Dhawan.

The irony is most captains want to get rid of seniors or their contemporaries  so that they can call all the shots and form their own core...with Kohli it is the opposite,he wants the seniors to replace the youngsters :facepalm:

Kapil and Gavaskar had issues with each other, Sachin had issues with Azhar’s commitment,Azhar had issues with Siddhu and Prabhakar whom he tried to get rid of and did not back Kapil either when he was dropped,Dhoni trying to get rid of Laxman,Dravid,Gambhir,Sehwag,Ganguly from ODI setup is well known,Dravid/Chappel regime had discomfort  with Ganguly.

Kohli has the advantage that none of his contemporaries are established nor he has a senior problem bar Dhoni in limited overs but he seems to relish the company of seniors lol.

Just now, maniac said:

The irony is most captains want to get rid of seniors or their contemporaries  so that they can call all the shots and form their own core...with Kohli it is the opposite,he wants the seniors to replace the youngsters :facepalm:

I disagree. Veteran stalwarts can have friction due to opposing work ethic/personalities but there is a vast difference between trying to get rid of them vs wanting to be captain etc. 

Just now, maniac said:

Kapil and Gavaskar had issues with each other, Sachin had issues with Azhar’s commitment,Azhar had issues with Siddhu and Prabhakar whom he tried to get rid of and did not back Kapil either when he was dropped,Dhoni trying to get rid of Laxman,Dravid,Gambhir,Sehwag,Ganguly from ODI setup is well known,Dravid/Chappel regime had discomfort  with Ganguly.

Gavaskar wanted captaincy. He didn't want to get rid of Kapil. Kapil was more or less a happy-go-lucky captain, so he could care less who was in the team, so long as the team performed and gelled well. 

Sachin's issues with Azhar was a valid one. 

Azhar's issue with Prabhakar was also a valid one. His issue with Sidhu was that Sidhu was a hothead. He killed someone in his youth and got away with it. IIRC he got sent home from the England tour after he beat someone (not team mate) into a pulp. 

8 minutes ago, maniac said:

Kohli has the advantage that none of his contemporaries are established nor he has a senior problem bar Dhoni in limited overs but he seems to relish the company of seniors lol.

The point to note here is he prefers discarded seniors who only have a few games left to serve (i.e) temporary players - Gambhir, Karthik, Parthiv, Harbhajan, Yuvi and Nehra (in LOIs). I don't want to go into conspiracies but youngsters and team development is not on his agenda at all, the reasons are up for debate.

Edited by Forever Indian
1 hour ago, Muloghonto said:

I disagree. Veteran stalwarts can have friction due to opposing work ethic/personalities but there is a vast difference between trying to get rid of them vs wanting to be captain etc. 

Gavaskar wanted captaincy. He didn't want to get rid of Kapil. Kapil was more or less a happy-go-lucky captain, so he could care less who was in the team, so long as the team performed and gelled well. 

Sachin's issues with Azhar was a valid one. 

Azhar's issue with Prabhakar was also a valid one. His issue with Sidhu was that Sidhu was a hothead. He killed someone in his youth and got away with it. IIRC he got sent home from the England tour after he beat someone (not team mate) into a pulp. 

On another note.You say everything as a matter of fact as if you were present at all the places or they shared these information personally and exclusively with you . Also you sound like a bossy person no surprises  that you can reconize a similar one with so much ease :phehe:.

5 minutes ago, raki05 said:

On another note.You say everything as a matter of fact as if you were present at all the places or they shared these information personally and exclusively with you . Also you sound like a bossy person no surprises  that you can reconize a similar one with so much ease :phehe:.

But he started the thread with 'pains me to say this' :cantstop:

45 minutes ago, Green Monster said:

kohli as a captain rubs subcontinental teams fans teh wrong way as they are not used to such aggressive, combative, even micromanaging  personalities...

subcontinental fans are more interested in the good boy/good girl type athletes and captains, those who always stay out off controversy...

some of the greatest coaches and players/captains of teams are absolutely unpleasant individuals, like kohli comes off...

bill belichek, tom brady, nick saban, michael jordan, greig popovich, kobe bryant, magic johnson, aaron rodgers, and even imran khan in cricket all have those types of traits... aggressive, combative, micromanaging, and even demeaning and causing physical harm to teammates...

fire forges steel, let the soft players quit...

its no wonder as kohli is pure punjabi, he has that fire...

anyways, u can trade him to us, we will take him, we will give u hafeez aka "the Professor" to serve as your captain:flowers: 

Being a dick doesn't necessarily make great leaders. Real leaders are assertive without being overcontrolling bullies. For example Kohli does not understand that Rahane and Pujara cannot bat like Kevin Pietersen, taking time to build an innings is what naturally comes to them. If Dravid had made his debut under Kohli he would have quit cricket after 3-4 years, studied an MBA and carried on with his life. India would have lost an ATG back then.

Imran Khan was a tough leader, but he also understood the strengths of people playing under him, he would never force a naturally defensive player to hit fours every 3rd ball.

1 hour ago, raki05 said:

Umm, there are plenty of bossy people who can make good leaders - its called professionalism. Kohli does not have it.

And i know those things, because i was following cricket from those days. Its no big reveal that Gavaskar and Kapil had friction or Sidhu and Azhar had friction. Those things were talked about back then too.

1 hour ago, Green Monster said:

kohli as a captain rubs subcontinental teams fans teh wrong way as they are not used to such aggressive, combative, even micromanaging  personalities...

subcontinental fans are more interested in the good boy/good girl type athletes and captains, those who always stay out off controversy...

some of the greatest coaches and players/captains of teams are absolutely unpleasant individuals, like kohli comes off...

bill belichek, tom brady, nick saban, michael jordan, greig popovich, kobe bryant, magic johnson, aaron rodgers, and even imran khan in cricket all have those types of traits... aggressive, combative, micromanaging, and even demeaning and causing physical harm to teammates...

fire forges steel, let the soft players quit...

its no wonder as kohli is pure punjabi, he has that fire...

anyways, u can trade him to us, we will take him, we will give u hafeez aka "the Professor" to serve as your captain:flowers: 

Name some of those players.

Kobe, Jordan, Magic, Rodgers - they were all the first one to take responsibility for the team, even though in basketball a captain does nothing.

Imran was an egotist who threw people under the bus like Kohli too, yes. But atleast he didnt chop and change to destroy everyone's confidence uniformly.

And ofcourse you will take Kohli. That man alone scores more runs than the entire Pakistan team put together...we want him gone as captain, not as a player.

2 minutes ago, Green Monster said:

maybe, but just from experience watching american sports, it seems overcontrolling bullies make the best players and coaches, like the list i mentioned. obviously some other talent needs to be there also and that personality by itself won't make one great...

You dont watch enough sports then. Kobe wasn't an overcontrolling bully. Neither was Shaq. Or Gretsky. Or Lemeuix. Crosby, Toews, Thronton - all are the quiet confident types who dont blow up over almost anything.

i live in teh boston area, so i know much of the patriots football team, and i can tell you bellichek is notorious for molding players to play how he wants them to. maybe this trait is better for a coach than a captain, but even kohli reminds me of tom brady in terms of the fire he plays with and focus...

Coach is not a player. Stop comparing apples to oranges. A coach is not a peer of a player. A captain is his player's peer.

with imran, he very much molded players to how he wanted them, the best example was wasim, who when he first came into the team, imran would literally tell him how and what delivery to bowl... i have no doubt he did the same with other players...

to me this thread is mostly an overreaction, u all are upset that a series was lost to the saffers, but anyway no asian team has won a series there before.

You should learn to read better. This thread isn't about upset at the loss, its about being upset at Kohli acting like a spoilt child in the press conference.

A captain that fails to take personal responsibility is the worst leader of all. Lost a lot of respect for Kohli after this interview, as he lacks the most basic quality of a leader : to step up and take personal responsibility. Great leaders ALWAYS question their decisions when things don't go right. Because one cannot lead, if one cannot see self as first line of critique. Kohli is 180 degrees opposite of this mentality. 

Such a beautifully written para. 

Pains me so much.

brother, i already named them: brady, jordan, kobe, rodgers, lebron, magic none of them take responsibility like you claim, when they lost, it was someone elses fault, and some of them have destroyed careers of some of their coaches... one shouldn't lie brother, actually watch the sports before talking of them... may allah give you honesty :phehe:

rodgers isn't a basketball player, brother this is too much :phehe: 

there were also the coaches i mentioned, which relate to the role of a cricket captain as well, 

only u say kohli has ruined careers, it sounds like he left out one of your favorite players, so u are angry on him... :phehe: 

which is ur favorite that he left out? spraygun yadav, green-track bully kumar, or rahane? and whose career or confidence has been ruined??? 

You are speaking straight out of your rear end. Because Jordan, Kobe, Rodgers - they all are closer to Ganguly's attitude than brat-boy Kohli.

Coaches are not the same as captains. Coaches are superiors of players. A captain is a peer of the players. This is basic common knowledge in sports.

The way the XI played the last two matches, Kohli has ruined everyone's confidence. He cannot lead, because he cannot inspire people.

Perhaps you may wanna look past your typical racist-punjabi glasses to see that Kohli is a total fattu fail as a leader.

Edited by Muloghonto