velu

Whether Virat Kohli overtook Sachin as the test batsmen ??

In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not there yet

54 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

India is going to win its first ever 5 match test series against England in England this year.

Yeah, it will be 5-0 win in favor of India.

2 matches will be inning win.

Kohli will score 622 runs in 5 matches.

Rohit Sharma will score a triple century at Oval helping India in inning win.

Ishant Sharma will bundle out England for 42 at Trent Bridge on cloudy first day providing 2nd inning win.

Kohli will score unbeaten 174 at Lord's in 4th inning leading India to historic win by 1 wicket. India chase 358 runs on day 5. Completely unexpected win. Emotional moment after which players lift him on shoulders and burst into tears seeing his inspirational leadership.

1 minute ago, Trichromatic said:

Yeah, it will be 5-0 win in favor of India.

2 matches will be inning win.

Kohli will score 622 runs in 5 matches.

Rohit Sharma will score a triple century at Oval helping India in inning win.

Ishant Sharma will bundle out England for 42 at Trent Bridge on cloudy first day providing 2nd inning win.

Kohli will score unbeaten 174 at Lord's in 4th inning leading India to historic win by 1 wicket. India chase 358 runs on day 5. Completely unexpected win. Emotional moment after which players lift him on shoulders and burst into tears seeing his inspirational leadership.

no, 3-1.

Bhuvi is going to get 2 fifers.

Kohli will score 3 centuries, including a century at Lords.

8 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Bhai jab sapne hi dekhne hain to usme to ummeddon ko unchhai chhune do. 

No, India winning surely. We performed poorly in first two tests due to lack of practice. These same players -Pujara-Vijay have scored in South Africa in the past. They just weren’t good enough this time.

I Expect India to be ready for England and Australia tour.

We will score many 400s, and 500 + score.

Just now, Cricketics said:

No, India winning surely. We performed poorly in first two tests due to lack of practice. These same players -Pujara-Vijay have scored in South Africa in the past. They just weren’t good enough this time.

Kya bolate ho. England is not going to give you the pitches it gave to Pakistan. It will give you exactly same pitches it gave when we visited last time or what they gave to Australia in 2015 Ashes after loss of second test.

Dont care if he overtakes Sachin or not, but one thing is sure this guy when in form carries the team. This is best an Indian batsman has batted in tough batting other than Amarnath in 1983 against WI.

He cannot rest he needs to do the same in England and then Australia again. 

On 1/18/2018 at 1:16 PM, Cricketics said:

I don't think they performed badly in first two tests. They competed in all three tests and it is just chasing in fourth innings is not that easy. Australia this lost chasing 180 odd in Bangalore.

Bowlers need to understand they cannot leak runs if they cannot take wickets and other batsmen have to learn to compete and have that attitude of Steve Waugh over my dead body. If these two happen India is going to win lot of matches overseas.

If he succeeds in England, then he definitely has the chance to surpass H. Kohli's knock have more impact on the team's performance in general. By the time, he is done, he has the potential to be India's best ATG batsman in all cricket. He just needs to work on his arrogance and attitude to be a better captain to his teammates and coach. There is no question abiout his fierce and competitive attitude that benefits him personally. He needs to learn how to channel that to benefit the whole team.

Edited by dandaroy

1 minute ago, dandaroy said:

If he succeeds in England, then he definitely has the chance to surpass H. Kohli's knock have more impact on the team's performance in general. By the time, he is done, he has the potential to be India's best ATG batsman in all cricket. He just needs to work on his arrogance and attitude to be a better captain to his teammates and coach. There is no question on his fierce and competitive attitude that benefits him personally. He needs to learn how to channel that to benefit the whole team.

What do you mean by better captain, what has he done wrong? he is what he is because he is arrogant in a good way and has an attitude.He always comes across a person who gives respect to everyone but is not afraid to speak his mind.

He does not hide unlike other previous great ones including Sachin over bad performance.

12 minutes ago, putrevus said:

What do you mean by better captain, what has he done wrong? he is what he is because he is arrogant in a good way and has an attitude.He always comes across a person who gives respect to everyone but is not afraid to speak his mind.

He does not hide unlike other previous great ones including Sachin over bad performance.

Yes his arrogance sometimes clouds his judgment and receiving constructive criticism from others around and also his ability to introspect. This was clearly evident on this tour. Refusing to accept mistakes of not having match preparation, improper team selection, etc. Arrogance in the right amount is called self-pride. When it starts creating a bubble around you, it is not helpful. Hopefully, he is intelligent enough to learn from it. This was his first tough overseas tour after being a permanent captain.

Edited by dandaroy

7 minutes ago, dandaroy said:

Yes his arrogance sometimes clouds his judgment and receiving constructive criticism from others around and also his ability to introspect. This was clearly evident in this tour. Refusing to accept mistakes of not having match preparation, improper team selection, etc. Arrogance in the right amount is called self-pride. When it starts creating a bubble around you, it is not helpful. Hopefully, he is intelligent enough to learn from it. This was his first tough overseas tour after being a permanent captain.

He to me has come out as captain in flying colors, team selection was not wrong, the only debate is Rahane .Still it is a fair call.Show me one series in Indian history where they have taken this many wickets in an overseas series that is all due to his call of playing 5 bowlers.Show me another Indian captain who is willing to lose match in order to win it.

Edited by putrevus

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He to me has come out as captain in flying colors, team selection was not wrong, the only debate is Rahane .Still it is a fair call.Show me one series in Indian history where they have taken this many wickets in an overseas series that is all due to his call of playing 5 bowlers.Show me another Indian captain who is willing to lose match in order to win it.

It's hardly a debate and it's no coincidence that we are giving SA tough time with Bhuvi in the team in 1st and 2nd test. He scored runs in both matches and India missed whole package which he had brought so far.

Those are huge difference. Take out Rahane and Bhuvi from both matches and result could have been big losses in all matches.

2 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

It's hardly a debate and it's no coincidence that we are giving SA tough time with Bhuvi in the team in 1st and 2nd test. He scored runs in both matches and India missed whole package which he had brought so far.

Those are huge difference. Take out Rahane and Bhuvi from both matches and result could have been big losses in all matches.

Dhawan over KL was also a big one , just cos rahul hasnt scored doesnt make that call right . Just like Rohit over Rahane , even if rahane had got a duck in second innings , it was retarded level selection.

Just now, Trichromatic said:

Did Bhuvi play first test or not, what did he do when they went 3/12 to 300 .Don't make him into Dale Steyn, Rahane scored 48 after flopping first innings and let us not get carried away as if these two are ATGS and they were dropped.

The same captain selected Bumrah and how is that working out.Do you have magic wand to say that Rahane will turn up after failing miserably for whole series a few days back. Hindsight is always easy. Rahul, Rahul was the slogan after first test what did he , he was not deemed good enough to even open the second innings.

26 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Lack of match practice.

not choosing Rahane until 3rd test

chopping bhuvi in 2nd test

Selecting Dhawan/Rohit who just do not belong. 

Plus some odd on field captaincy decisions. Comparing him to previous Indian captains is not helpful. We have had not had captains like Waugh, Brearley, Lloyd, etc ever. 

Lack of match practice.

not choosing Rahane until 3rd test

chopping bhuvi in 2nd test

Selecting Dhawan/Rohit who just do not belong. 

Plus some odd on field captaincy decisions. Comparing him to previous Indian captains is not helpful. We have had not had captains like Waugh, Brearley, Lloyd, etc ever. 

How is lack of match practice his fault.As I have been saying even after today's innings Rahane's non selection was not wrong. 

We did not have those captains but Kohli has a chance to become one, let him become one of them don't pull him down with petty stuff.He is unselfish and always puts his team first .He is  festy and always want to win every match. 

Which captain averages 65 after 34 tests and people still are complaining about him.

On 1/18/2018 at 9:33 AM, Cricketics said:

India is going to win its first ever 5 match test series against England in England this year.

Itna jaldi Arsenic mat daal. Pehle I-Pee-L khatam hone de. Uske baad dekhte hain eh log England mein pehle se jaate hain ki nahin. Without acclimatization and match preparation, India will again lose the first test and be immediately on the back foot.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

How is lack of match practice his fault.As I have been saying even after today's innings Rahane's non selection was not wrong. 

We did not have those captains but Kohli has a chance to become one, let him become one of them don't pull him down with petty stuff.He is unselfish and always puts his team first .He is  festy and always want to win every match. 

Which captain averages 65 after 34 tests and people still are complaining about him.

Where have you been? It is a known fact now that BCCI gave the team to go to SA ahead of time. The Indian team management ignored it. As a captain, it was his responsibility to make that happen with Shastri. Read my other posts where I have complained about this non-stop. 

3 minutes ago, dandaroy said:

Itna jaldi Arsenic mat daal. Pehle I-Pee-L khatam hone de. Uske baad dekhte hain eh log England mein pehle se jaate hain ki nahin. Without acclimatization and match preparation, India will again lose the first test and be immediately on the back foot.

England in England is not easy place , 5 tests is long series .

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

England in England is not easy place , 5 tests is long series .

Agree. It is no cakewalk. England is typically very strong at home even though they got thrashed down under. The good thing about 5 test series is you can come back even if you start poorly.

Just now, dandaroy said:

Where have you been? It is a known fact now that BCCI gave the team to go to SA ahead of time. The Indian team management ignored it. As a captain, it was his responsibility to make that happen with Shastri. Read my other posts where I have complained about this non-stop. 

No BCCI gave an option of sending few players early not whole squad.

Virat Kohli angry with BCCI’s planning, says preparation for SA tour not ideal

Skipper Virat Kohli has expressed his unhappiness over the cramped schedule of the India team which leaves them no time to acclimatise before the tough tour of South Africa. The BCCI, in a bid to accommodate the Sri Lanka series, has left little time for the Indian cricket team to prepare for the long South Africa series.

Yes (we requested for the pace-friendly wickets), because unfortunately we get only two days before we fly to South Africa after this series gets over. So we have no choice but be in a game situation and think of what’s coming ahead of us.

“Had we got a month off ideally, we would have done a proper preparation in a camp sort of scenario. But we have to sort of make do with what we have,” said Kohli ahead of the second Test against Sri Lanka in Nagpur on Thursday.

Where did BCCI said we will send whole squad?

8 minutes ago, putrevus said:

No BCCI gave an option of sending few players early not whole squad.

Virat Kohli angry with BCCI’s planning, says preparation for SA tour not ideal

Skipper Virat Kohli has expressed his unhappiness over the cramped schedule of the India team which leaves them no time to acclimatise before the tough tour of South Africa. The BCCI, in a bid to accommodate the Sri Lanka series, has left little time for the Indian cricket team to prepare for the long South Africa series.

Yes (we requested for the pace-friendly wickets), because unfortunately we get only two days before we fly to South Africa after this series gets over. So we have no choice but be in a game situation and think of what’s coming ahead of us.

“Had we got a month off ideally, we would have done a proper preparation in a camp sort of scenario. But we have to sort of make do with what we have,” said Kohli ahead of the second Test against Sri Lanka in Nagpur on Thursday.

Where did BCCI said we will send whole squad?

Yes you are right. BCCI did not offer to take the whole squad to SA. Blame goes everywhere. BCCI for scheduling meaningless series before and important tour, and Indian team management (Kohli & Shastri) not taking up on BCCI offer (even though not ideal), or not fighting hard to make the right thing happen (which is tell BCCI, field a second string squad against SL, we are taking the test team to SA well ahead and I will reschedule my marriage). Don't tell me Kohli does not have the clout to make things happen if he/Shastri really pushed hard. And then he contradicts Shastri and says they had right match preparation!

Edited by dandaroy

11 minutes ago, dandaroy said:

Yes you are right. BCCI did not offer to take the whole squad to SA. Blame goes everywhere. BCCI for scheduling meaningless series before and important tour, and Indian team management (Kohli & Shastri) not taking up on BCCI offer (even though not ideal), or not fighting hard to make the right thing happen (which is tell BCCI, field a second string squad against SL, we are taking the test team to SA well ahead and I will reschedule my marriage). Don't tell me Kohli does not have the clout to make things happen if he/Shastri really pushed hard.

No single player has that much clout as you are saying.Give this guy break, he has played nonstop in every format for last 3- 4 years and took two weeks off for marriage.Unlike Pandya he played test series then took a break.Pandya for some weird reason took a break from test series when he should have done opposite and it is showing. BCCI has to grow some brains and understand the need for practice games

What were these former players doing when SL series was happening, they were all jumping on Kohli and question his captaincy skills and what not after this series was lost. All I heard from all these former players then was  how well this Indian team looks . 

This guy is best captain which has happened to Indian cricket , let us forget that fact.

Edited by putrevus

5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

No single player has that much clout as you are saying.Give this guy break, he has played nonstop in every format for last 3- 4 years and took two weeks off for marriage.Unlike Pandya he played test series then took a break.Pandya for some weird reason took a break from test series when he should have done opposite and it is showing. BCCI has to grow some brains and understand the need for practice games

What were these former players doing when SL series was happening, they were all jumping on Kohli and question his captaincy skills and what not after this series was lost. All I heard from all these former players then was  how well this Indian team looks . 

This guy is best captain which has happened to Indian cricket , let us forget that fact.

I guess we have a difference on opinion regarding Kohli on this. But I do agree with you on BCCI’s culpability on this. Bunch of morons scheduling games caring only about profits and not the well being of the team!

I guess we have a difference on opinion regarding Kohli on this. But I do agree with you on BCCI’s culpability on this. Bunch of morons scheduling games caring only about profits and not the well being of the team!

Guys like Sachin, Sourav should be making these statements about lack of matches before SL series too.They are as culpable as BCCI after all they are on some committee which advises BCCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Guys like Sachin, Sourav should be making these statements about lack of matches before SL series too.They are as culpable as BCCI after all they are on some committee which advises BCCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also former players like Sehwag criticizing is a bit rich, especially he was total failure overseas and besides his batting, he was very lackadaisical about preparation, fitness, etc

Also former players like Sehwag criticizing is a bit rich, especially he was total failure overseas and besides his batting, he was very lackadaisical about preparation, fitness, etc

Sehwag now is a clown to me, he has not shown any skill as an expert pundit either in creating a solution for Indian team's overseas woes but is just jumping on media bandwagon finding faults in  Kohli .

Not yet.... But this was an amazing knock from Kohli. The art of batting with tail enders at its very best was   clearly evident. He scored the major bulk  the  92 runs he put along with last 2 batsmen.

In terms of batting ability Kohli hasn't reached there yet. Sachin could shut down entire off side and make 241 runs only on the on side. He had more shots for each ball. In terms of mental strength i would give an edge to Kohli who doesn't get flustered under pressure. He just needs to be in rythm. Sachin would often retreat himself into a shell when there is a huge expectation to pull off something.

Zimbabwe test, 1997 barbados collapse, uber defensive against Pakistan at Bangalore (19 of 95 balls with a life),  uber defensive against Paul harris the debutant as match that would have helped India win their first test series in SA. Having said that there are different phases in sachin's career. When he was young he was a different guy. As a 17 year old saved the test match at old trafford,  scored 114 on a lively Perth pitch. As i said Tendulkar has the technique to cope wide range of conditions. Just that there were times he allowed the pressure to weigh him down regardless of the conditions.

Edited by vvvslaxman

1 hour ago, velu said:

IMHO kohli overtook sachin long back .. but for doubters he ovetook him just in the previous test ..

kohli will score more than 50 centuries in tests alone if he maintain this form for another 3/4 years

Yeah like 5 years back?

Virat can retire now and won't be considered ATG in tests. SRT was already ATG by age of 30. He is yet to overtake even SRT upto 2003.

46 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Virat can retire now and won't be considered ATG in tests. SRT was already ATG by age of 30. He is yet to overtake even SRT upto 2003.

one of the greats and not ATG .. when he was 30 , lara > sachin and not bothered to consider other batsmen 

4 minutes ago, velu said:

one of the greats and not ATG .. when he was 30 , lara > sachin and not bothered to consider other batsmen 

Naah, he was already regarded as ATG at 30. 

6th highest run getter by that age.

Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO RunsDescending HS Ave 100 50 0  
AR Border (AUS) 1978-1994 156 265 44 11174 205 50.56 27 63 11 investigate this query
SM Gavaskar (INDIA) 1971-1987 125 214 16 10122 236* 51.12 34 45 12 investigate this query
SR Waugh (AUS) 1985-2003 158 246 42 10064 200 49.33 29 46 21 investigate this query
GA Gooch (ENG) 1975-1995 118 215 6 8900 333 42.58 20 46 13 investigate this query
Javed Miandad (PAK) 1976-1993 124 189 21 8832 280* 52.57 23 43 6 investigate this query
SR Tendulkar (INDIA) 1989-2002 105 169 16 8811 217 57.58 31 35 10 investigate this query
IVA Richards (WI) 1974-1991 121 182 12 8540 291 50.23 24 45 10

investigate this query

Highest avg among those batsmen by some big margin

Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending 100 50 0  
SR Tendulkar (INDIA) 1989-2002 105 169 16 8811 217 57.58 31 35 10 investigate this query
Javed Miandad (PAK) 1976-1993 124 189 21 8832 280* 52.57 23 43 6 investigate this query
SM Gavaskar (INDIA) 1971-1987 125 214 16 10122 236* 51.12 34 45 12 investigate this query
AR Border (AUS) 1978-1994 156 265 44 11174 205 50.56 27 63 11 investigate this query
IVA Richards (WI) 1974-1991 121 182 12 8540 291 50.23 24 45 10 investigate this query
SR Waugh (AUS) 1985-2003 158 246 42 10064 200 49.33 29 46 21 investigate this query
GA Gooch (ENG) 1975-1995 118 215 6 8900 333 42.58 20 46 13 investigate this query

And 2nd most 100s

Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100Descending 50 0  
DG Bradman (AUS) 1928-1948 52 80 10 6996 334 99.94 29 13 7 investigate this query
GS Sobers (WI) 1954-1974 93 160 21 8032 365* 57.78 26 30 12 investigate this query

That was enough to be regarded as ATG back then only. 

9 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Naah, he was already regarded as ATG at 30. 

6th highest run getter by that age.

Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO RunsDescending HS Ave 100 50 0  
IVA Richards (WI) 1974-1991 121 182 12 8540 291 50.23 24 45 10

investigate this query

Highest avg among those batsmen by some big margin

Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS AveDescending 100 50 0  
IVA Richards (WI) 1974-1991 121 182 12 8540 291 50.23 24 45 10 investigate this query

And 2nd most 100s

Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100Descending 50 0  
DG Bradman (AUS) 1928-1948 52 80 10 6996 334 99.94 29 13 7 investigate this query
GS Sobers (WI) 1954-1974 93 160 21 8032 365* 57.78 26 30 12 investigate this query

That was enough to be regarded as ATG back then only. 

he is an ATG when comes to consistency ..

but what about ranking points , number of wisden 100 innings ? 

9 minutes ago, velu said:

he is an ATG when comes to consistency ..

but what about ranking points , number of wisden 100 innings ? 

There is no category of ATG batsman. It's not IIFA awards with 1000s of categories.

9 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Kohli has started averaging 50 for 7 tests (Since Nov 2017). He reached avg of 50 in Dec 2016. 

Right now he is behind SRT, Gavaskar and Dravid. He has surpassed Sehwag and Laxman imo.

if average is everything .....