Inequality gap widens as 42 people hold same wealth as 3.7bn poorest:

chapetmarunga

https://www.hindustantimes.com/business-news/inequality-gap-widens-as-42-people-hold-same-wealth-as-3-7bn-poorest-report/story-BmptpG6CTbHT5m6URfKBiP.html

As global political and business leaders gather for this week’s World Economic Forum annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, the charity’s report highlights a global system that rewards the super-rich and neglects the poor.

“(It) reveals how our economies are rewarding wealth rather than the hard work of millions of people,” Winnie Byanyima, Oxfam’s executive director, told Reuters Television.

“The few at the top get richer and richer and the millions at the bottom are trapped in poverty wages.”

Byanyima blamed “tax dodging” as a major cause of global inequality and urged leaders to clamp down on tax havens and plough money into education, healthcare and jobs for young people.

“The economic model is not working at all,” Oxfam report co-author, Iñigo Macías Aymar, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation. “The way this wealth is being distributed we are really worried, it’s being concentrated in fewer hands.”

Oxfam called for all workers to receive a minimum living wage, the elimination of the gender pay gap and tougher rules to crackdown on tax avoidance.

Edited by chapetmarunga

Inequality of income is one of the key issues that would need to be addressed in future. For equality to come in to play, human development and concepts of equal opportunities would need to developed to their full potential

Inequality will only increase with the advent of knowledges based economy, the poor will get wealthier but a slower rate then those with the right skill set 

in the next twenty to thirty years, we will probably also see a new wave of redundant workers coming from professional services in law, accounts and admin jobs as AI goes into full swing

If you are rich and you dont fully pay your taxes, I dont like you. You could be showing off with all your riches, the donations you make and entire facade of you being good individual or organization disgust me. You are the primary reason why my country is poor and people are poor.

Shame on you. You are my country's worst enemies.