Virat Kohli needs someone to point out his mistakes: Virender Sehwag

"I think, Virat Kohli needs some players who can point out his mistakes on the field," Sehwag said in a show on 'India TV'.

"Every team has four-five players who advise the skipper and help him avoid mistakes on the field. I don't see that in the current Indian squad.

"There's no one in the squad who can challenge Kohli's selection decision in the dressing room. No player is up to his standard," he added.

Sehwag said Kohli's captaincy is being affected by his own expectations from other players.

"Virat Kohli has reached a level where he can play well in adverse situations and he expects the same from the rest of India squad," the former swashbuckling opener said.

"However, other players in the squad haven't reached the stature where Kohli already is. This is affecting Kohli's captaincy."

According to Sehwag, all Kohli wants is to see other Indian batsmen score fearlessly like him.

"Kohli is just asking them to make runs like him. And there's nothing wrong with it. I remember, when Sachin Tendulkar was the captain, he used to ask other batsmen to score runs. If I can score, then why can't you?"

Sehwag strongly believes that Kohli must be getting advice from the coach but not implementing it on the field.

"It's important is to sit together and talk to make a strategy for the upcoming Test. No single player can lead you to victory, teamwork is important. Every player has to contribute," the Nawab of Najafgarh said

Link - https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/kohli-needs-someone-to-point-out-his-mistakes-sehwag

Smith said. "He has all the capabilities tactically, he knows his own game, he sets the standard in the field for everyone else.

"I think if he had a really constructive person in his environment, who could talk to him, make him think, maybe even challenge him with some different ideas, in a constructive way, not an angry or aggressive way, but make him think, open his eyes to other possibilities, that would make him a really good leader."

Oh Mr Sehwag you do talk rubbish at times.  

He expects 4 or 5 players to confront Kohli and Shastri regarding selection of an International team,  tell me which 4 or 5 are guaranteed selection?  They would be speaking about themselves being omitted .

Individual players might be asking what they have to fo to get selected. 

Batsmen scoring runs and how they get them is a different story,  that is for the collective squad to discuss and work out. 

On the park help usually is captain and vice captain working together with consultation with a couple of others. 

Imagine Man United players going to Alex Ferguson on who they think should be the starting xi. 

Once team is selected then yes it becomes a collective responsibility as a group with captain leading 

On 1/23/2018 at 2:15 PM, putrevus said:

didn't this guy Sehwag say if Kohli fails in second test he needs to drop himself now he is putting  a different spin.

No Most of us knew what he meant. He was mostly targeting his bizzarre selections and took a pot shot at him for dropping players willy nilly. He didn't exaftly mean to question his abilities. Many of us share the same sentiments of Sehwag. I have mentioned several times he does not have players as a unit discussing about plans with him partly because their place is uncertain. They just go with whatever he decides to. Look at other day Dinesh karthik indicated it was not an edge. Yet he went  with the review anyway. He probably listens to Rohit sharma that's it.

12 minutes ago, Unstable Joe said:

Yes, but Sa was at half-strength. No ABD, no Faf, a new captain who hasn't even played 5 ODIs, an out of form De Kock, etc. This win means nothing.

They same bowling attack could not  defend whatever Du Plesis put. You can bring ABD also but Indian current team are batting brilliant in these ODI conditions in South Africa and can chase down any total.

Morkel and Rabada are present bowling perfectly fine just that our batsmen have found th form and are unstoppable.

It will take Kohli or one of the two openers resting to give South Africa a chance to win.

9 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

They same bowling attack could not  defend whatever Du Plesis put. You can bring ABD also but Indian current team are batting brilliant in these ODI conditions in South Africa and can chase down any total.

Morkel and Rabada are present bowling perfectly fine just that our batsmen have found th form and are unstoppable.

It will take Kohli or one of the two openers resting to give South Africa a chance to win.

I'm not saying the current Indian team is bad, they're very good. I'm simply saying that those who are very proud of beating SA in SA shouldn'tbe so happy as we haven't beaten them at their full strength. Also, I agree their bowling is at full strength, but their batting however is at a very low level without Faf, ABD & an out of form QDK, not to mention a brand new captain without even an experience of FIVE ODIs. The Indians may or may not have been able to chase down any total SA may have put, but you cannot say that for sure till it actually happens, till then it's just speculation. Also, I'd like to see India win a match without Kohli firing. Pretty sure they'll collapse. The third test win was a fair and square win imo, against a full strength SA. Indian team deserves all the credit for that. But these 2 ODI wins? They're meaningless as if we were beating SL.