Time to make Shami an ODI only bowler

Fitness and Consistency wise Shami seems a goner in tests. If you are bowling worse than Ishant, that tells a thing or two. Just had one good spell in three tests so far, and also seems like may break down anytime in middle of match.

With the 2019 WC coming up better to make him just play ODIs which he has been very good at usually. For tests IMO only Bhuvi and Bumrah to some extent seem sure starters, so we need to try new youngsters starting with Saini before England tour.

Edited by Forever Indian
5 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

And who will play him ODIs? Kohli chose 2 spinners against Pakistan in CT 17 final. Shami didn't even get a game in that tournament despite being a very good ODI bowler.

Kohli should hopefully grow a few more grey cells and learn from the CT final drubbing and play 3 frontline pacers.

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

his stats dont show how bad he has done this series. he has repeatedly been missing when needed and picked wickets especially last test when game was over. There is no intensity or focus in his bowling.

I think if Bk  bumrah hadnt been picking off top order wickets he would probably be averaging 40+ which is criminal in on these pitches. 

14 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

his stats dont show how bad he has done this series. he has repeatedly been missing when needed and picked wickets especially last test when game was over. There is no intensity or focus in his bowling.

Yep. Bowled rubbish whenever wickets were falling from the other end and released all the pressure. 

Shami is outstanding when wickets are slow and there is reverse swing. On helpful and bouncy pitches he seems to be lost. Cant forget the  jo’berg test where SA almost chase down 450 on fifth day with shami keep on bowling short balls only to be hit for boundaries repeatedly 

IMO Ind should invest in u19 bowlers like porel, mavi when they are young and hungry for success 

Edited by joe777z
None

At the moment he is struggling or I would say taking too long to settle his rhythm and you can't afford that in Odis it will make things worse, best thing make him practice hard  in nets, god knows  what's that fatty bowling coach is doing anyway   until then we can try some young fresh bowlers like siani or thakur.

Shami is wasting new ball and he doesn't look fully fit but somehow he manages to make a comeback in the second innings.he bowls late spells in India @140k,here in saf he has been up and down with his speed,but he's an asset on dry wkts with reverse swing in offer ,can't drop him altogether 

His attitude is the problem. Read his interview a couple weeks ago where he was saying that bowlers need to preserve themselves and not go all out.. that he knows when to go fast and when to hold back.. 

He has been the weakest bowling link this series  - should be kicked down to doemstics. We need hungry pacers who want to perform at all costs for the country. And if he was off in 1 test, i would accept it but he has been below par all along except for one spell. There is no dearth of young pacers now - so dont go by past records, look at current state of players. 

SHami is very good when he is bowling on abrasive surfaces. He brings his reverse swing into play. He is not used to swinging the Kookaburra. But he has to learn eventually. He just looked flat on this helpful surface. He is not the only guy who have this issue. Umesh against bangladesh ODI looked flat where Binny took 6 for 4.  We have very few in the squad to exploit swinging conditions.

I won't take that drastic call yet. He is good but like I have said previously, don't depend on him too much.

I believe he has his shades of world class moments when he is unplayable, and even though we should be happy with the options we have, we shouldn't assume that we aer Australian bowling line up or South Africa.

Bhuvi and all down the line might need some rest and we might have to rotate them for different reasons, we don't know. So we can't just discard Shami as yet.

Sensible thing is to keep Shami in the squads and play him and rotate him well but don't depend on him being the leader. You can't be the leader with that fitness. He can surely do better job than Ishant though when crippled, so I rather have a crippled Shami than full fit Ishant.