Time to make Shami an ODI only bowler

57 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I won't take that drastic call yet. He is good but like I have said previously, don't depend on him too much.

I believe he has his shades of world class moments when he is unplayable, and even though we should be happy with the options we have, we shouldn't assume that we aer Australian bowling line up or South Africa.

Bhuvi and all down the line might need some rest and we might have to rotate them for different reasons, we don't know. So we can't just discard Shami as yet.

Sensible thing is to keep Shami in the squads and play him and rotate him well but don't depend on him being the leader. You can't be the leader with that fitness. He can surely do better job than Ishant though when crippled, so I rather have a crippled Shami than full fit Ishant.

No he needs to improve his fitness or he is outta here!!

1 minute ago, dandaroy said:

No he needs to improve his fitness or he is outta here!!

We can take that decision when Saini and co have done well. Right now we are still perplexed if we have 3 quality bowlers to players as we somehow keep bringing Ishant and Umesh every time.

Only consistent bowler is Bhuvi. With him Bumrah should be kept now for England tour. So now comes option to play other bowlers. I would give chance to Saini now. But If in case he is not working, we must have back ups, and hence Shami can't be discarded at this time.

He should be down the line, once we have played Saini enough and if he is doing well.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

SHami is very good when he is bowling on abrasive surfaces. He brings his reverse swing into play. He is not used to swinging the Kookaburra. But he has to learn eventually. He just looked flat on this helpful surface. He is not the only guy who have this issue. Umesh against bangladesh ODI looked flat where Binny took 6 for 4.  We have very few in the squad to exploit swinging conditions.

his bowling on this tour has nothing to do with the pitches.  he just did not look focused and up for the task.  looked disinterested.  Whenever he did in patches, he bowled well and picked wickets.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

his bowling on this tour has nothing to do with the pitches.  he just did not look focused and up for the task.  looked disinterested.  Whenever he did in patches, he bowled well and picked wickets.

Something is wrong n I don't think it's just fitness, coach? Home?

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

On pitches like this you don't even have to make great effort. If someone asks me to pick the best Indian bowlers of all time in swinging conditions Shami would not be anywhere near the top. He will come behind guys like Roger Binny. He is a good bowler. But not an all season bowler who can do well everywhere. He is just not equipped enough. I am not just talking about wicket column. I am talking about how he creates chances, poses problems to batsmen in these conditions. He has some unique skill sets which will work on flat tracks. 

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

On pitches like this you don't even have to make great effort. If someone asks me to pick the best Indian bowlers of all time in swinging conditions Shami would not be anywhere near the top. He will come behind guys like Roger Binny. He is a good bowler. But not an all season bowler who can do well everywhere. He is just not equipped enough. I am not just talking about wicket column. I am talking about how he creates chances, poses problems to batsmen in these conditions. He has some unique skill sets which will work on flat tracks. 

on these pitches, it is all about hitting the ball in good length areas with seam, which he struggled to do. You dont need some magic, but just keeping things simple and he struggled to do that.  Did not hit the deck when he bowled in that area, just looped up. If he had done that he should have been more effective with his upright seam position. He either bowled too full or half trackers and that too at slow speeds and went for runs and he wont be successful anywhere if he bowls this way anywhere whether flat pitch or green pitch.  

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

I won't take that drastic call yet. He is good but like I have said previously, don't depend on him too much.

I believe he has his shades of world class moments when he is unplayable, and even though we should be happy with the options we have, we shouldn't assume that we aer Australian bowling line up or South Africa.

Bhuvi and all down the line might need some rest and we might have to rotate them for different reasons, we don't know. So we can't just discard Shami as yet.

Sensible thing is to keep Shami in the squads and play him and rotate him well but don't depend on him being the leader. You can't be the leader with that fitness. He can surely do better job than Ishant though when crippled, so I rather have a crippled Shami than full fit Ishant.

Are you sure of that. Ishant was far more impressive than Shami in this test match even though the wickets column look the same. Shami was leaking a boundary every over almost and Ishant has created a chance with ABDV too which could have been given had India referred the decision. 

And you being from Delhi and having such a low regard for Ishant really surprises me.... :thinking:

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

on these pitches, it is all about hitting the ball in good length areas with seam, which he struggled to do. You dont need some magic, but just keeping things simple and he struggled to do that.  Did not hit the deck when he bowled in that area, just looped up. If he had done that he should have been more effective with his upright seam position. He either bowled too full or half trackers and that too at slow speeds and went for runs and he wont be successful anywhere if he bowls this way anywhere whether flat pitch or green pitch.  

Even if you hit bad length you should see some swing. NOthing really happening for him. He couldn't land one ball in the right area? I am sure he did. Only time i see him swing big is when the ball is scruffed up and he reverses. He brings out banana inswingers at times. With new ball he is just that not effective.

Just now, sarcastic said:

Are you sure of that. Ishant was far more impressive than Shami in this test match even though the wickets column look the same. Shami was leaking a boundary every over almost and Ishant has created a chance with ABDV too which could have been given had India referred the decision. 

And you being from Delhi and having such a low regard for Ishant really surprises me.... :thinking:

You know how white people always say they like rap and name a random rapper to sound non racist or start a sentence with I am not racist but...

Ishant is his card at showing balance :giggle:

Just an analogy not calling tics a racist...he is a good guy 

46 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

Man I don't give a damn about Delhi bowlers. If they are doing well, I well praise them, if not, then I will want them out of the team.

Ishant has had many chances. I supported him uptill certain point. After you have been given endless chances and you still don't help the team's cause, then you deserve to be replaced.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

@express bowling ur views....is there any upside to Shami to continue in tests?

Shami is still our best test match pacer in Asia.  That too by a distance.

Regarding test matches outside Asia, he was a first year rookie in 2013-14.

In this series, he is not looking fully fit to me.  I have never seen him bowl below 135 k, not even when he was playing with serious injury in WC 2015  or Eng 2016.  But he has done that in the first innings of both the first and 2nd tests.  That maybe a sign of some niggle or issue that he has.

He has done well in the 2nd innings of both the 1st and 2nd test.

I would like to see how he does in England before deciding about his bowling ability in tests outside Asia.

I want to Bumrah, Shami, Bhuvi and Saini to be our pacer pool for England 2018 test tour. 

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, Forever Indian said:

Is this the first match you are seeing this series?

He bowled well the first test.  Got three wickets in the second innings..

Second test was a flattish deck.. wouldn't read too much into it..

This test he was wayward and doesn't look ready.. hoping he does well in the second innings like he did in the first test. 

14 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Even if you hit bad length you should see some swing. NOthing really happening for him. He couldn't land one ball in the right area? I am sure he did. Only time i see him swing big is when the ball is scruffed up and he reverses. He brings out banana inswingers at times. With new ball he is just that not effective.

but i have seen seam the ball before. His Duleep trophy debut that brought him into limelight is the biggest example. That was a greenish pitch and he seamed the ball both ways.

12 hours ago, bowl_out said:

He bowled well the first test.  Got three wickets in the second innings..

Second test was a flattish deck.. wouldn't read too much into it..

This test he was wayward and doesn't look ready.. hoping he does well in the second innings like he did in the first test. 

bowled well first test? he was poor in the first. he was the biggest reason SA got away when they were 12/3. He released all the pressure which BK had built from his end. 

Edited by rkt.india