South African Tailenders costing India dearly

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

It's been a close series of small margins. For me, the biggest difference between the 2 teams has been the batting performances of the openers.  

yes. very accurate. 

if yesterday we were 50/1 or 70/2 with some 35 odd from each opener we would have had a 50 run lead. its openers who are blowing it. 

51 minutes ago, Gollum said:

11 dropped catches in the 1st 2 tests while Saffers were plucking stunners from thin air.

50 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

And the catching. Don't forget the catching.

Sure. But the bowlers were still good enough to deliver in spite of that. And to be honest, who here is surprised with that catching stat. 

It's the openers who have failed, especially with respect to expectations. I don't include Mr ThighFive in this btw, he's not a test opener.  

Think about it. If the openers had delivered in any one of the 4 previous innings, the series would be alive right now. 

Edited by sandeep
1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Sure. But the bowlers were still good enough to deliver in spite of that. And to be honest, who here is surprised with that catching stat. 

It's the openers who have failed, especially with respect to expectations. I don't include Mr ThighFive in this btw, he's not a test opener.  

Think about it. If the openers had delivered in any one of the 4 previous innings, the series would be alive right now. 

You know despite us being on the opposite side on our chances in this series, I didn’t think we expected Vijay to play some real lose shots opening the innings like he did so far.

Dhawan was a given and Rahul was always 50-50

1 minute ago, maniac said:

You know despite us being on the opposite side on our chances in this series, I didn’t think we expected Vijay to play some real lose shots opening the innings like he did so far.

Dhawan was a given and Rahul was always 50-50

You basically didn't expect us to be this competitive on the bowling side. Apart from Shami's underwhelming show, bowlers have done the job.  That's no mean feat.  

I didn't think that Vijay and Rahul would fail this badly.  And if they hadn't we would be in the process of setting up a series win.  

I have never seen a team compete overseas with horrendous catching like ours. Remember all the good tours we had in 2002-10, catching played a big part in our overall results. You have no right to win overseas test matches if you drop these many catches. SA openers haven't exactly set the stage on fire, they have been better than ours ofc (even they have benefited due to reprieves while our openers had no such luck),but their the difference in catching between the 2 sides is simply too massive, easily cost at least 200 runs till now, do you think any Indian slip catcher would have even attempted the half chance that got Patel out today? In effect I believe that their bowlers have hardly picked 42 wickets (at least net+6 because of their fielders doing magic, 3 run outs)  while ours have picked 59 (48+11 drops, 2 run outs). A difference of 17 wickets>>>>.difference between the 2 sets of openers. 

Edited by Gollum
3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

You basically didn't expect us to be this competitive on the bowling side. Apart from Shami's underwhelming show, bowlers have done the job.  That's no mean feat.  

I didn't think that Vijay and Rahul would fail this badly.  And if they hadn't we would be in the process of setting up a series win.  

Not on the ability but adaptability of the bowlers...I always am a huge supporter of Indian fast bowling if you follow my posts on here...didn’t have faith in  the coaching staff or the acumen of the bowlers themselves to determine the right lengths from day 1...case in point the first innings of the first test, which probably cost is a few runs and contributed to the loss along with the batting and fielding.

Anyway why the hell are you nitpicking every analysis I said like some kind of a gospel.take a chill pill....at the end of the day we lost the series and now we have a chance of getting some respectability back...can’t we just move on???

22 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Top order batting in T1 and T2 - reason for failure. #1-#3.