Khaleel Ahmed

rkt.india

Khaleel did not look like a debutant rookie bowler at all, from his 2nd spell onwards.  Seemed to know which balls to bowl when, albeit against against a supposedly weak side.

His temperament has impressed a lot of people, barring some Indian commentators  (  who are more interested in protecting the established players of strong IPL franchises ).  Khaleel took wickets at a stage of the match when the opponents were on top.  

The range of skills he displayed, as @Mosher bro has pointed out in detail above, is so good to see.  Being comfortable while bowling both over and round the wicket, bowling cross seam on occasions, using yorkers, bouncers, slower balls when needed, bowling both stump directed and channel deliveries ... excellent  !

He has the ability to bowl those hard lengths and get extra bounce ... while bowling with genuine pace.  He looked quick on a very sluggish pitch yesterday ... but we will see him bowl even quicker in the coming days as he has the ability to bowl 148 k / 147 k too.

All the best kid  !   Wishing you a great career as a fast bowler for India  !

Edited by express bowling
16 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I think Khaleel will.  Have seen him bowl entire overs in the 144 k to 148 k range.

Yesterday, he hit 2 HK batsmen on the body with rising short balls, even on a sluggish pitch.

Yup ,i saw him bowl 148 k against punjab in syed mushtaq ali trophy,he was bowling Thunderbolts actually that day but dhoni has stay away from him,that oldie destroyed many potential speed merchants

1 hour ago, gattaca said:

Never let a youngster near Zaheer khan. Khaleel kho zaleel bana diya.

Excerpt from an interview of  Zaheer Khan in 2011.  His beliefs and what he himself did.

"   Indian bodies not designed to bowl fast: Zaheer Khan

I also dropped pace, so basically it's important to know what works for you at the international level and put that into practice."   "

https://amp.sports.ndtv.com/cricket/indian-bodies-not-designed-to-bowl-fast-zaheer-khan-1565076

19 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Excerpt from an interview by Zaheer Khan in 2011.  His beliefs and what he himself did.

I also dropped pace, so basically it's important to know what works for you at the international level and put that into practice."   "

https://amp.sports.ndtv.com/cricket/indian-bodies-not-designed-to-bowl-fast-zaheer-khan-1565076

Too bad. Good that shastri picked bharat arun as bowling coach. Bharat arun didnt make any changes to the way bumrah bowls. This reminds of Irfan Pathan. 

Edited by gattaca
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Excerpt from an interview by Zaheer Khan in 2011.  His beliefs and what he himself did.

Instead of trying to work on fitness and getting stronger, he made this dumb statement. Srinath bowled quick for a lot of years. Shami, Umesh, Aaron have been bowling quick and have more or less maintained their pace all these years. Bumrah has increased his pace and is the quickest Indian bowler now and doesn't lose intensity even on the last session of a test match. All this is because these guys work really hard on their fitness and strength training. I want to know what's Zaheer's opinion now regarding it. Hope he doesn't become our bowling coach and should stay far away from our young fast bowlers like Mavi, Nagarkoti. 

Edited by Mosher
1 hour ago, Mosher said:

Instead of trying to work on fitness and getting stronger, he made this dumb statement. Srinath bowled quick for a lot of years. Shami, Umesh, Aaron have been bowling quick and have more or less maintained their pace all these years. Bumrah has increased his pace and is the quickest Indian bowler now and doesn't lose intensity even on the last session of a test match. All this is because these guys work really hard on their fitness and strength training. I want to know what's Zaheer's opinion now regarding it. Hope he doesn't become our bowling coach. 

And this is the precise reason why I feel that Umesh Yadav and Varun Aaron have played  big roles in the development of our fast bowling culture in the 2010s,  despite being  below par bowlers.

They made the next lot of younger quicks believe that Indians too can bowl fast for many years.

I was reading an interview of a trainer at the NCA in a regional newspaper.  He has been there for more than 15 years.

He was saying how training methods,  recovery methods, food habits etc. have completely changed from from Zaheer's time to nowadays.

Nowadays,  training for fast bowlers is totally focused on training and developing fast twitch muscle fibres.  Whereas our seamers of the 2000s used to do a lot of training that stimulated the slow twitch muscle fibres which are needed more for activities like marathon running.

He was also talking about how recovery after active training used to be via passive activities like taking massages.  Nowadays they use active recovery methods like relaxed swimming and some other methods.

Earlier, our seamers used to eat butter paneer, butter chicken and dal makhani type food often enough.  Nowadays, our fast bowlers mostly eat grilled and boiled stuff.

Big changes have come about.  Our national team trainer, Shankar Basu,  is said to be doing an excellent job.  We need people like him in the setup who believe that Indian bodies are good enough for activities involving power and strength,  if  proper methods are used.

Looks very ordinary ...don't know what happened to all the hype of his pace. Kanga league has better left arm bowlers. I still remember Wasim telling in an interview "when you are young & raw, go for pace the rest will automatically come as you season" in our case the first thing that happens to youngsters is that they drop pace...the list is endless munaf, abhey, Irfan etc and still manage to get injured.

1 hour ago, singhprakash72 said:

Looks very ordinary ...don't know what happened to all the hype of his pace. Kanga league has better left arm bowlers. I still remember Wasim telling in an interview "when you are young & raw, go for pace the rest will automatically come as you season" in our case the first thing that happens to youngsters is that they drop pace...the list is endless munaf, abhey, Irfan etc and still manage to get injured.

Munaf Patel bowled quick for atleast two years. Whereas Ahmed has not bowled his usual pace even for two weeks of international cricket. Irfan was never a pace merchant, but he was picked as he could swing it. Here the problem is Ahmed was picked for pace, and he has not used pace at all since being picked.

2 hours ago, singhprakash72 said:

in our case the first thing that happens to youngsters is that they drop pace...the list is endless munaf, abhey, Irfan etc and still manage to get injured.

In the last 4 years,  apart from Khaleel,  no other Indian pacer has lost pace before the age of 30.  

Our seamers losing pace was very much a phenomenon of the 2000s decade.

Which is why Khaleel's case is so surprising.

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

In the last 4 years,  apart from Khaleel,  no other Indian pacer has lost pace before the age of 30.  

Our seamers losing pace was very much a phenomenon of the 2000s decade.

Which is why Khaleel's case is so surprising.

agree not many in recent years but definitely looks like age old problem...where are our great bowling coaches and support staff ? He was looking lifeless and listless. Also any news on Nagarkoti ? Hope he does end up in never ending trundler brigade.