The domestic t20 post tournament round up

Cricketics

So amidst all of India vs South Africa series, you might have missed out on action from the recently concluded Syed Mushtaq Ali t20 tournament. Delhi won today but it would be interesting to discuss whom you were impressed by the most.

I saw Pant's keeping today, I think he was impressive today. You should look at the catche he took of the spinner Neg.

I liked Khaleel's spell today. The guy is surely going to play for India, or at least should play for India sometime soon.

Khejroliya is another left arm seamer who should definitely get a chance down the line. Khejroliya has a good short ball and I feel has the weapons to do well at the international level.

Hooda also had few good scores in the tournament and I hope Hooda isn't forgotten among the other younsters like Gill and Shaw. Hooda should continue to be picked in the Indian ODI set up.

Pant will be big hit this IPL

credit to Sangwan, got a lot stick after being named captain after Pant got sacked

Krunal Pandya was a flop whole tournament, interesting how he will go in IPL

Yuvraj and Bhajji are finished, scrapping for IPL contracts and were selfish for own self preservation rather help their team 

Edited by chewy
16 minutes ago, chewy said:

Pant will be big hit this IPL

credit to Sangwan, got a lot stick after being named captain after Pant got sacked

Krunal Pandya was a flop whole tournament, interesting how he will go in IPL

Yuvraj and Bhajji are finished, scrapping for IPL contracts and were selfish for own self preservation rather help their team 

Btw, Raina scored a ton too and I can tell you he is one of the best t20 batsman in India still dor t20s. I hope he getd picked again for t20s.

It was disappointing to see Nitish Rana and Krunal struggle but I am not too concerned. As long as they can have good IPL, that should matter more. Its fine to fail in this tournament once in a while as its a t20 tournament where things are not always in your favor.

I would like to see how Nitish Rana and Krunal Pandy do in the domestic 50 overs as that is more important for the two of them. 

14 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Pant and Raina’s 100 warrants seldction into Indian t20 side for sure. One mustlook to them instead of trying same old players. 

Pant will fit perfectly anywherr in the order.

I would like Pant as an opener to take advantage of the powerplay.

7 minutes ago, Sooda said:

I'd love to see Hooda in ODIs and T20Is , mainly because India lacks a 6th bowler and he could be it and a good lower middle order hitter

That, but we need to think t20 like how other nations are doing. You have Windies dominating this format because they have hitters after hitters coming in t20 because that is what the format demands. Its just 20 overs.

If we have Raina, Pandya, Hooda finishing of the innings, you can expect solid finish to the innings or can expect to chase 60 of 30 balls with that line up.

Must play Hooda in plenty of 50 overs so he can play finishers role and get his confidence up so that can be transitioned into t20s in internationals.

36 minutes ago, SUMO said:

Heard khaleel is bowling consistently at 145 in mushtaq ali tournament and he touched 148 even. How is he bowling, anybody watched him live ?

Khaleel bowled really well with good pace in the final, I did not watch any of his other games this time but Khaeel looks realy smooth and needs to bowl more to better batsmen so he can learn more.

I would promote him. 

16 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Khaleel bowled really well with good oa e in the final, I did not watch any of his kther games this time but Khaeel looks realy smooth and needs to bowl more to better batsmen so he can learn more.

I would promote him. 

Great. Happy for him.

Would you say he Is better than chaudhary, sangwan, khejroliya unadkat ? Or where would you place him

3 minutes ago, SUMO said:

Great. Happy for him.

Would you say he Is better than chaudhary, sangwan, khejroliya unadkat ? Or where would you place him

I will break it down like this, Khaleel is ahead of Sangwan by just because Sangwan rerturned from injury just now after big gap. He missed out Ranji this season and in t20s, you naturally bowl slower due to lack of overs you get to bowl consecutively. Usually pacers increase their pace after first over.

Sangwan needs to bowl more in 50 overs since he just returned from injury. Sangwan bowled around 84mph in this tournament mostly. Before Injury he was bowling 87-88 last year, so we will have to wait on Sangwan for now and may be in 50 overs he might pick up his pace due to the luxury of bowling longer spells. Vijay Hazare trophy is around the corner so I expect him to bowl well there and he might pick up his speed in that tournament.

Unadkat, I am not a huge fan of. He bowls too full for me with not much pace. I did not see him either recently barring games against Sri Lanka in the t20 series.

Khejroliya is the one I am most excited about. He bowled in higher 80s and used some change of pace and models his bowling to Mitchell Johnson, which is good. He bowled some good short balls and even got a 4fer in the tournament. Not many will know, Khejroliya was the bowler of the tournament last year in Vijay Hazare, the domestic 50 over tournament. All bowlers bowled on a lot of patta pitches last year where teams were scoring 330ish and 350ish scorers all across India, but Khejroliya playing his first season then bowled with great economy rate in every fame. While other bowlers had 10-70 runs on those pattas, Khejroliya would concede about 40 or less. He surprised plenty of bats last year.

Similarly, this year Khejroliya bowled with heart and did well in t20 tournment, and if anyone I would like to see this guy promoted to next level and given chance to play some top level cricket. I was disappointed with Mumbai Indians who kept him on the bench all year last year, but its high time he gets chance to bowl to top players and not just domestic players otherwise he won’t learn fast. We want our best domestic bowlers to learn fast and not just settle with success against local players. We need to ensure they are bowling to players from other countries which will give them more confidence as a bowler.  So Khejroliya can be fast tracked and high time he is playing in India A games.

Vijay Hazare starts very soon in about a week. It will be another great opportunity for bowlers to impress the selectors. I hope guys from that tournament are picked in tri series in Lanka while Bhuvi, Bumrah etc are rested.

5 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I will break it down like this, Khaleel is ahead of Sangwan by just because Sangwan rerturned from injury just now after big gap. He missed out Ranji this season and in t20s, you naturally bowl slower due to lack of overs you get to bowl consecutively. Usually pacers increase their pace after first over.

Sangwan needs to bowl more in 50 overs since he just returned from injury. Sangwan bowled around 84mph in this tournament mostly. Before Injury he was bowling 87-88 last year, so we will have to wait on Sangwan for now and may be in 50 overs he might pick up his pace due to the luxury of bowling longer spells. Vijay Hazare trophy is around the corner so I expect him to bowl well there and he might pick up his speed in that tournament.

Unadkat, I am not a huge fan of. He bowls too full for me with not much pace. I did not see him either recently barring games against Sri Lanka in the t20 series.

Khejroliya is the one I am most excited about. He bowled in higher 80s and used some change of pace and models his bowling to Mitchell Johnson, which is good. He bowled some good short balls and even got a 4fer in the tournament. Not many will know, Khejroliya was the bowler of the tournament last year in Vijay Hazare, the domestic 50 over tournament. All bowlers bowled on a lot of patta pitches last year where teams were scoring 330ish and 350ish scorers all across India, but Khejroliya playing his first season then bowled with great economy rate in every fame. While other bowlers had 10-70 runs on those pattas, Khejroliya would concede about 40 or less. He surprised plenty of bats last year.

Similarly, this year Khejroliya bowled with heart and did well in t20 tournment, and if anyone I would like to see this guy promoted to next level and given chance to play some top level cricket. I was disappointed with Mumbai Indians who kept him on the bench all year last year, but its high time he gets chance to bowl to top players and not just domestic players otherwise he won’t learn fast. We want our best domestic bowlers to learn fast and not just settle with success against local players. We need to ensure they are bowling to players from other countries which will give them more confidence as a bowler.  So Khejroliya can be fast tracked and high time he is playing in India A games.

Vijay Hazare starts very soon in about a week. It will be another great opportunity for bowlers to impress the selectors. I hope guys from that tournament are picked in tri series in Lanka while Bhuvi, Bumrah etc are rested.

Yes lots of new pace sensation waiting up in ranks. Hope they dont select likes of siddharth kaul and unadkat again.

That was high praise for khejroliya from you. From what I saw in patches during ranji I didnt liked him that much. Found him erractic and on shorter side. Speed also wasnt that exciting.

But I never saw him before in vijay hazare trophy so will concede what you say.

So khaleel may be most talented out there considering he is just 20 yr old and has great physique, might be lambi race ka ghoda.

4 minutes ago, SUMO said:

Yes lots of new pace sensation waiting up in ranks. Hope they dont select likes of siddharth kaul and unadkat again.

That was high praise for khejroliya from you. From what I saw in patches during ranji I didnt liked him that much. Found him erractic and on shorter side. Speed also wasnt that exciting.

So khaleel may be most talented out there considering he is just 20 yr old and has great physique, might be lambi race ka ghoda.

I will add Avesh Khan, Mavi and Nagarkoti too now. That will only ensure guys like Khejroliya, Sangwan are working hard to earn their spot.

Competition among bowlers is very important and it will only help these bowlers go extra mile and work hard and improve.

The last I saw of Aaron, he was bowling well.

So to add few morre who are not very young but need to be looked closely -Thampi, Aaron, Avesh Khan

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

I will add Avesh Khan, Mavi and Nagarkoti too now. That will only ensure guys like Khejroliya, Sangwan are working hard to earn their spot.

Competition among bowlers is very important and it will only help these bowlers go extra mile and work hard and improve.

So to add few morre who are not very young but need to be looked closely -Thampi, Aaron, Avesh Khan

Avesh is young ,just played the last under19WC

10 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Yes all those guys are superb talent 

We have atleast 15-20 good fast bowlers in india now

10 hours ago, SUMO said:

I think Khaleel  would be best for T20s among all .  Still raw but some big positives aready are : 

1. The fastest  among the lot at 20.

2. A left arm fast bowler.

3. Bowls really good yorkers.

4. Changes speed well .

If he can add some of the below to become a complete package , he can be very very good prospect .

1. Learn bowling  wide of off stump at very full / yorker lenth to right hand batsmen with control.

2. Bowl cutters a la  mustafizur.

3.  Bowl in swinging deliveries ( will be a great asset to bowl opening spells ) .

Have not seen him swinging /seaming much . Also stock ball seems to be short ball . But overseas batsmen may hit those by pulling & cutting and he may come under pressure .

Should be given the task of third pace bowler and should bowl  5-6 overs  after 30 overs . i.e. looks better as a death bowler . 

Not sure he is ready for 50 overs rigjht now .

But if works hard for next 6 months and adds new skills as mentioned above , a great package in T20 and 50 Overs along with B & B .

3 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

I think Khaleel  would be best for T20s among all .  Still raw but some big positives aready are : 

4. Changes speed well .

If he can add some of the below to become a complete package , he can be very very good prospect .

1. Learn bowling  wide of off stump at very full / yorker lenth to right hand batsmen with control.

3.  Bowl in swinging deliveries ( will be a great asset to bowl opening spells ) .

Have not seen him swinging /seaming much . Also stock ball seems to be short ball . But overseas batsmen may hit those by pulling & cutting and he may come under pressure .

Should be given the task of third pace bowler and should bowl  5-6 overs  after 30 overs . i.e. looks better as a death bowler . 

But if works hard for next 6 months and adds new skills as mentioned above , a great package in T20 and 50 Overs along with B & B .

He already bowls great cutters and Yorkers.

6 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

4. Changes speed well .

Zaheer could have coached him well to develop inswinger with new ball.

That can leapfrog any left arm pacer to another level.