Yuvraj, Dhoni and Jaffer are they just FTBs?

Rohip

I hate to say it because I was expecting big things from all 3 but I've been rewarded with a slap in the face. Yuvi and Dhoni only seem to fire against Pakistan and Jaffer has his feet stuck in mud. When guys like Sachin, Dravid, Dada and Laxman retire we're in big trouble!

Naa...I wouldn't go that far. But all 3 have to improve their shot selection. In test cricket shot selection can compensate for a lack of technique. Anyway, wrt Jaffer I think if and when one of the fab-4 retires he could turn out to be a very good middle order player.

Jaffer has very little competition for his spot as an opener. Chopra is the only other opener on the domestic front who can compete with Jaffer for the opening slot. Perhaps, Karthik as well but not sure how much better his technique is. Dhoni has been doing superbly as a wicketkeeper and has the ability to be a very good batsmen on flatter wickets and average 35-40 which is good enough for a wicketkeeper batsman. It's Yuvraj's case which is baffling. With so many promising middle order batsmen around in the domestic scene it's senseless to carry this deadwood any longer.

Hey fineleg, I was looking for you. You were one of the most vocal critics of Ishant and Sehwag. When those threads have been bumped, you just didn't give your views. What are your views now? Are they still garbage, and fat ***** respectively to you,as you said earlier?

Yuvraj needs to reduce the backlift for when he first enters and gets a feel for the pitch. He is swinging too much before he even gets a feel for where the ball is likely to be and hence getting out early. Once he is in, then he can go back to the big swish. Jaffer has to stop playing away from his body and also improve his footwork in coming forward. Both are wonderful batsman to watch...graceful. This is not something to be dismissed...but cultivated and made to address the challenge. They will be back.

Jaffer has very little competition for his spot as an opener. Chopra is the only other opener on the domestic front who can compete with Jaffer for the opening slot. Perhaps, Karthik as well but not sure how much better his technique is. Dhoni has been doing superbly as a wicketkeeper and has the ability to be a very good batsmen on flatter wickets and average 35-40 which is good enough for a wicketkeeper batsman. It's Yuvraj's case which is baffling. With so many promising middle order batsmen around in the domestic scene it's senseless to carry this deadwood any longer.
Deadwood???we fan get the players we deserve. A month back he was the toast of the nation ending with a brilliant 150+ against pakistan when the chips were down. He just had 2 bad games. The same fans who are calling for his head will start praising him like a deity when he scores a half century
Deadwood???we fan get the players we deserve. A month back he was the toast of the nation ending with a brilliant 150+ against pakistan when the chips were down. He just had 2 bad games. The same fans who are calling for his head will start praising him like a deity when he scores a half century
He might have been your toast. I did not want him to play at the MCG on the back of thrashing Sami and Arafat.
Hey fineleg, I was looking for you. You were one of the most vocal critics of Ishant and Sehwag. When those threads have been bumped, you just didn't give your views. What are your views now? Are they still garbage, and fat ***** respectively to you,as you said earlier?
I dont know what the ***** stands for, I dont think I called Sehwag whatever that ** thingy stands for. but my answer is here on Sehwag: http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?p=325105#post325105 on I.S. - he seems to have improved from the Ind Pak series where he bowled that garbage to the Pak top order (remember not one ball out of the 50+ balls he bowled were in line with the stumps then). He gradually improved his spell before the Pak tour ended and has gone on to do well now. So, yes I.S. needs to be in the squad for the next Test series. I hope he does not wither away like how Irfan Pathan lost his way.
Yuvraj needs to reduce the backlift for when he first enters and gets a feel for the pitch. He is swinging too much before he even gets a feel for where the ball is likely to be and hence getting out early. Once he is in, then he can go back to the big swish. Jaffer has to stop playing away from his body and also improve his footwork in coming forward. Both are wonderful batsman to watch...graceful. This is not something to be dismissed...but cultivated and made to address the challenge. They will be back.
Welcome to ICF cochise.... Like your opinions.

jaffer cannot play on fast n bouncy tracks only indian pitches suit him yuvraj is prabably out of form, he'll get it back soon, get back his reputation dhoni, don't know what seems to be the problem with him as far as i think, he was in form till the period greg chappel was there and india recorded 17 consecutive successful chases he has lost it since then he needs to play his natural game, only then will he b able 2 bring in depth in the batting line-up

Jaffer has very little competition for his spot as an opener. Chopra is the only other opener on the domestic front who can compete with Jaffer for the opening slot. Perhaps' date=' Karthik as well but not sure how much better his technique is.[/quote'] Am surprised you keep bringing up Chopra's name based on his cindrella series last time around. The very same Chopra was sorted out in the following BG trophy (in 2004). Gillespie kept bowling outside the offstump in 2003/04. In BG trophy'04, they switched the line & bowled to Chopra's pads. Ever since Chopra was a sitting duck and in his case a duck who couldnt even make his time at the crease count. Even in 2003/04, Chopra's success is all mythical. We already saw what happened when two dour batsmen open the innings (at MCG), didnt we ? Simply put we dont have any answer the opening conundrum. We'll have to live with KKD/Jaffer. Failure of one will make the other look the better solution, but none of them are good enough.

Best solution is for the BCCI to help Rahane and Ravi Teja get into a couple of counties (ideally with more bowler-friendly tracks) this summer. Then cross fingers, and wait - because Rahane's got test material written all over him, and Ravi Teja's had a stunning season and seems very promising.