"Virat Kohli plays the Ugly Indian. " - Tunku Varadarajan

sandeep

https://theprint.in/2018/01/29/virat-kohli-plays-ugly-indian-victorious-one-who-are-we-to-complain/

For all his extravagant gifts, there’s a tastelessness to Kohli that reflects modern India: The post-Nehruvian disregard for social niceties—manifest in everything from the way Indians drive, talk to each other, board airplanes, or treat waiters at restaurants. Kohli chirps—to use the modern euphemism for on-field abuse—and scowls; he glares and remonstrates, getting in umpires’ faces. But unlike much of modern, badly behaved India, Kohl is also world-class at what he does, able to compete with anyone under all conditions.

Is there a grain of truth in this?  A reference to a special sort of entitlement that all Indians who are financially well-off tend to exhibit and take for granted?   Does growing up and living in a 24/7 environment surrounded by grotesque levels of inequity end up cultivating that sense of entitlement, even if subconscious?

Edited by sandeep
29 minutes ago, beetle said:

The bhuvis , shamis , bumrahs , pujaras , rahanes are a part of modern India.

Infact kohli is an exception .

He was like that even as a teenager.

Looking for symbolism where there is none.

I really think at least Bhuvis, Pujaras and Rahanes are of SRT/Dravid era.. and not of modern era..

Youth of Modern India are of 'In your face' type.. May be not exactly like Kohli though..

7 minutes ago, veer said:

I really think at least Bhuvis, Pujaras and Rahanes are of SRT/Dravid era.. and not of modern era..

Youth of Modern India are of 'In your face' type.. May be not exactly like Kohli though..

No...kohlis are more in your face hence more visible.

Infact a majority of our team is quite gentle.

The skipper is in your face....hence the perception.

Virat can be smart about his aggression. There are times when he didn’t need to, he is trying to be aggressive. May be it is his instinct way of revving him up. If there is an underlying motivation to be an ass I have no issues. Being an ass just for the sake of being an ass is going to reflect on him badly

The article doesn't make any sense. All Virat does is stand up for himself, his team and his country. He wants to up the ante a bit and say that the days of us taking it with no consequence are over. One of the reasons he is able to do it is that he has tools at his disposal. Pace attack, the leverage of the Indian Board etc. I suspect that if India had that in 1976, Bedi would have been aggressive too. So let's enjoy this. We have something that Bedi's 1976 team couldn't even dream of. 

Idc what these arm chair experts say, Kohli's india is the most fun ive had watching indian test cricket in years. Great matches, intriguing controversy and intense competition. Never say die attitude displayed more often than not. A genuine pace attack. These writers are just jealous. Just the typical losers trying to be nice guys.

Edited by ThePhenomenal1

I do think that Kohli does go over the top sometimes, but it seems to bother people (Indians included) a lot more when an Indian goes over the the top, than when others do. 

That the Indian janta needs general lessons in discipline- boarding planes, standing in lines, not littering etc. I don't disagree at all. But that's a separate issue from Kohli.