"Virat Kohli plays the Ugly Indian. " - Tunku Varadarajan

sandeep

That's stupid. It seems for many people, their idea of country is just to become a second class white man, one who respects the real white man and follows them. There is a big inferior complex.

Also, just because cricket is called gentleman's man, it should never mean that we have to be timid. We need aggression to win things and that's what Kohli brings. No wonder we struggle in football , and many other such sports where aggression is key.

20 hours ago, sandeep said:

https://theprint.in/2018/01/29/virat-kohli-plays-ugly-indian-victorious-one-who-are-we-to-complain/

Is there a grain of truth in this?  A reference to a special sort of entitlement that all Indians who are financially well-off tend to exhibit and take for granted?   Does growing up and living in a 24/7 environment surrounded by grotesque levels of inequity end up cultivating that sense of entitlement, even if subconscious?

With a slight increase of number of people competing for any resource or scarcity of any social service, all these social niceties evaporate like a puddle on a hot summers day, in the 'intrinsically high moral fiber' western society, they behave much like the 'poor dirty barbaric' Indians...such a shame. Then there are apologists like Tunku ( what name is that man), dont have much to say about them.

12 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

Post Nehruvian?

B@lls.  Indians were always the same, good, bad or ugly.  What's this pre and post business?

and who the f is this Nehru , as if he is some great social reformer, did he go and conduct moral science lessons to all primary schoolers ? did he have time inbetween his busy schedule with all his girl friends. 

18 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

I have a friend who is from  Delhi and he too wears his heart on his sleeve like Kohli,i think its just a Delhi thing.

I have a friend who is from Delhi and he is very polite,God fearing does not swear and is borderline wussy., i think it just not a Delhi thing.

5 minutes ago, Vilander said:

With a slight increase of number of people competing for any resource or scarcity of any social service, all these social niceties evaporate like a puddle on a hot summers day, in the 'intrinsically high moral fiber' western society, they behave much like the 'poor dirty barbaric' Indians...such a shame. Then there are apologists like Tunku ( what name is that man), dont have much to say about them.

I agree with you 100% that the supply-demand pressure does induce a level of 'bad behavior' no matter where you are.  And the problem is that in India, that pressure is omnipresent, and if you try to stay 'nice', you will just get left behind.   

The problem I have with this is that it creates de facto norms of public behavior that are not helpful to society as a whole.  It almost indoctrinates people to follow the "take care of me and mine first" mentality, which becomes a very vicious cycle to break.  Over time, as the population as a whole gets better off, and the pressures subside, the public norms will automatically improve.  Just wonder if there was a way to expedite that process.   

Anyway, this thread or forum is not the place to discuss this regardless.  And its likely that I will get attacked by some Bhakts for saying "anti-national" things.   

3 minutes ago, Vilander said:

I have a friend who is from Delhi and he is very polite,God fearing does not swear and is borderline wussy., i think it just not a Delhi thing.

How much have you interacted with him in Delhi?:p:

Before Dilli waalahs jump all over me, its just a joke.  

2 hours ago, Khota said:

I think U19 team the coaches personality is on display.

How many players have we seen showing the middle finger till now or publicly and unapologitically mouth profanity. Other than praveen kumar's famous video ....only kohli.

Others may do it privately or impulsively...but no one does it knowingly when they know the mike can catch it or the camera is on them.

Dravid may be a good influence but it is more than that.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

And its likely that I will get attacked by some Bhakts for saying "anti-national" things.   

you can say that again, they will feel slighted by the disrespect, totally not getting the fact that we are supporting Indians actually.

But its really down to resources. At a very super generalized level, If say you have 4 times the natural resources + 8 times the money that each Indian has ( Like say North American equivalent) or 2 times natural resources + 4 times the money like( say Europe )  Even 1.5 + 2 like China then things will be fairly relaxed i am sure, Even Africa has more natural resources, they have like 6-10 times natural resources and same amount of Money as India.  India is just *ing over populated.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

It almost indoctrinates people to follow the "take care of me and mine first" mentality

this is true, people just get carried away, they do not care. For instance, callous jumping of queues with absolute disregard to the person standing in front. Or rushing instead of queuing, back door, short cuts, bribes for even small things..