Shubman Gill is a World Cup 2019 prospect, should be picked for England tour

Cricketics

3 minutes ago, SUMO said:

These two guys along with kedar are not meant for odi cricket and are substandard to build a powerful odi side.

Guys like iyer hooda gill pant needs to be tried...not much of time left before wc.

Kohli also played at no 4 in wc11 around very experienced batting line up. And he was just 1.5 yr old in international cricket.

Cant gill re-emulate that ? Or may be pant

The SA ODI series should clear out the really substandard players

11 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Shubman Gill must be picked for the ODI series in England which will be take placr right before the 5 match test series.

This guy is special and can be fast tracked.

You never know, he might be playing 2019 world cup in the same country where he makes his debut if picked.

Everyone has seen enough of him now in this tournament and its time to take this big call.

Fasttrack Gill

Not surprised to see such a thread on ICF. Bit surprised a bit by who started it. 

27 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Not surprised to see such a thread on ICF. Bit surprised a bit by who started it. 

The calmness under pressur he is showing in the game deserves attention. Nonone asking him to be deafted for Test in England, but ODI’s he can be tried. We have seen many young players around the world given chance.

This guy played everything down the ground in last two games until the last few overs.

He is special. Too mature for his age.

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

The calmness under pressur he is showing in the game deserves attention. Nonone asking him to be deafted for Test in England, but ODI’s he can be tried. We have seen many young players around the world given chance.

This guy played everything down the ground in last two games until the last few overs.

Never hype batsmen. But i can see this guy is special. Risk free shots like Kohli. Touch of arrogance, confidence with his pull shots.  Picks the length so quickly.  Not like Indian line up is loaded with indispensable players. Pandya made his debut at 21 right?

1 minute ago, Sachinism said:

People really are getting carried away.

Quality player, but there's a jump from age group cricket to domestic cricket. Then from domestic cricket to A tours. Then A tours to International.

Give the lad some time to properly polish himself off as a batsman

By that time it happens he will be around 23. In my view it is too late. 

9 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

By that time it happens he will be around 23. In my view it is too late. 

The other side is you get him in too early and spoil him.

There's still aspects of his game that need working on. Him playing domestic cricket for 2 years isn't doing to hamper his career.

Players like Chand, Zol, Bawne, Sarfaraz have all kinda fallen by the sidelines. I just don't think the step up is as straight forward as people are making it seem

Edited by Sachinism
Just now, Sachinism said:

The other side is you get him in too early and spoil him.

There's still aspects of his game that need working on. Him playing domestic cricket for 2 years isn't doing to hamper his career.

Not everyone will go that way.  We should not have one thumb rule and apply to all players. We may regret it. He can be part of a Test team. He bats at 3 right. He will keep  Pujara on his heels. India doesn't have a back up for no.3 now. If Pujara completely goes off the boil we have to force someone to bat at 3.

24 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Indian debut caps aren't given out just like that.  Its driven based on vacancies in the team and specific role-player needs.   Why shouldn't a Shreyas Iyer get an extended run, which he has earned by putting in years of hard yards at the domestic level and proven performances at the A tour level?  Gill doesn't even turn his arm over - you could have an argument if he was a Krunal Pandya type player, which the current ODI XI needs at the moment.   

23 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Never hype batsmen. But i can see this guy is special. Risk free shots like Kohli. Touch of arrogance, confidence with his pull shots.  Picks the length so quickly.  Not like Indian line up is loaded with indispensable players. Pandya made his debut at 21 right?

Its not about hypinng. I never bought Shaw hype or many other past under 19 players like Arman Jaffer etc. But in the last 11 years of this ICF history I have only said twice that an India under 19 guy must be fast tracked to the Indian team - Kohli and now Shubman.

Never said the same about Vijay Zol, Jaffer  or Unmukt etc, because they looked good but unlike Kohli or Shubman. 

I have been following him and many under 19 players from over a year through instagram and stuff and have posted clips of many under 19 players on ICF through throuh under 19 journey. Gill has always been the stand out for me along with the bowler Chahar who did not get picked for Under 19 world cup but played for Rajasthan’s state recently.

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Indian debut caps aren't given out just like that.  Its driven based on vacancies in the team and specific role-player needs.   Why shouldn't a Shreyas Iyer get an extended run, which he has earned by putting in years of hard yards at the domestic level and proven performances at the A tour level?  Gill doesn't even turn his arm over - you could have an argument if he was a Krunal Pandya type player, which the current ODI XI needs at the moment.   

Agree there should be a merit but at times there could be exception for a player or two. It doesn’t happen every tournament. Once in 4-5 years there is no harm in throwing a wildcard. Read my post above where I quoted vvslaxman just now.

11 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Its not about hypinng. I never bought Shaw hype or many other past under 19 players like Arman Jaffer etc. But in the last 11 years of this ICF history I have only said twice that an India under 19 guy must be fast tracked to the Indian team - Kohli and now Shubman.

Never said the same about Vijay Zol, Jaffer  or Unmukt etc, because they looked good but unlike Kohli or Shubman. 

I have been following him and many under 19 players from over a year through instagram and stuff and have posted clips of many under 19 players on ICF through throuh under 19 journey. Gill has always been the stand out for me along with the bowler Chahar who did not get picked for Under 19 world cup but played for Rajasthan’s state recently.

" #ShubmanGill is the most dedicated boy I've seen in my coaching career," Rahul Dravid  We are not alone. You play 500 balls when you are 3? That is dedication. Same way Kohli saving his team when his father was dead was an indication of his dedication. 

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

" #ShubmanGill is the most dedicated boy I've seen in my coaching career," Rahul Dravid  We are not alone. You play 500 balls when you are 3? That is dedication. Same way Kohli saving his team when his father was dead was an indication of his dedication. 

i dont believe this 500 balls at 3. how can one play 500 balls at 3 years of age?

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

i dont believe this 500 balls at 3. how can one play 500 balls at 3 years of age?

I am not sure. Interview by his father said that. So we have to go back in time and validate his claim :)  Even if it is 100 balls. i would say this guy was into cricket way early. He is almost like a veteran at this age.   You could see that in all the games he played. 

10 hours ago, sarchasm said:

Yes, now let's see if he can carry on like that for 2 seasons at the VERY least. Then he'd have earned the right to be in conversation.

He was already picked for Indian A side ....but since, he was injured he couldn't play it....

It's rarely happens in Indian cricket that you play only 2 ranji matches and you are picked for A side...

Looks like selectors think he is special...

31 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

While there will be lot of other fake stuff which will come out that he used to play 400 balls etc or used to run around Punjab at 4 years age, it should be all ignored and what should be more focus is how good a player he looks when playing FC cricket or any cricket for that matter.

12 minutes ago, gakgupta said:

He was already picked for Indian A side ....but since, he was injured he couldn't play it....

It's rarely happens in Indian cricket that you play only 2 ranji matches and you are picked for A side...

Looks like selectors think he is special...

Good. We should not be so rigid like English cricketers. Even they blood youngsters these days. India's top players made their debut at the age of 21 or before. Sunny 21. Patudi was captain at 21. Kapil 21. Dravid 22 Laxman 21 Ganguly 20 Tendulkar 16. Why are we so resistant to the idea of pushing a 19 year old that too in this era.