Virat likes Rahane at #4 in ODIs :((

sandeep

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22273135/rahane-strong-candidate-no-4-virat-kohli

"I had said earlier that Ajinkya will be looked at as a third opener, but that situation can change because he has batted at No. 4 in a World Cup before," Kohli said a day before India start the ODI series in South Africa. "These conditions are such that you get to play fast bowling throughout the innings so he becomes a strong candidate for No. 4.

To me, it seems like Virat is making up for his *-up with dropping Rahane in tests, by giving him more opportunity in ODIs.   Another justification would be that Rahane has problems with playing forcing shots on 'slow' tracks, but in SA, he may be able to use the pace to hit boundaries.  I can see the logic, but I don't agree with it.  At this point, the Indian batting needs to bulk up and improve its power-hitting abilities, and going back to Rahane in the middle order is a step in the wrong direction.

" I feel the core of players is more or less pretty strong at the moment. "  ...

"The lower middle order is more or less sorted. The combination is working well for us with Hardik and Kedar and MS rotating and batting together. No. 4 is something we have experimented with in the last couple of series. That is the only spot I can see that needs to be solidified otherwise the team looks pretty balanced."

So basically, Virat is saying that #1 to 3 are locked down, and he's happy with Pandya Jadhav and Dhoni in shuffled order for 5,6 and 7.   This is an incredibly conservative philosophy, especially coming from the captain who has unflinchingly played 34 different XIs in tests.  

Indian team has a glaring problem with slow starts in ODIs.  And due to Dhoni's decline, a major over-dependency on Virat to maintain scoring momentum in the middle overs (10-40).   Doubling down on the current lineup smacks of closing your eyes and hoping that the problem will just go away on its own.  

Why does Virat the test captain turn into a gambler, and morph into a 60 year old when it comes to LOI cricket?  Are there motives other than the pursuit of excellence, driving the decision making?   

6 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Power hitting won't help here , we never had batsmen who can do that in sa pitches consistently  . If rahane gets to play all the matches , I would bet on him to be our best batsmen in this series .

Sure.  But how does that help us in 2019 WC.  Where you know the tracks are going to be flat-400 apart from the odd exception?

For a captain who's shown remarkable gumption in making brave and "forward thinking" selections in test cricket, Virat is being hard-core orthodox conservative in LOIs.   

17 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Power hitting won't help here , we never had batsmen who can do that in sa pitches consistently  . If rahane gets to play all the matches , I would bet on him to be our best batsmen in this series .

you never know. we have been seeing very high scoring games in SA recently.

It all depends on the pitches saf prepare ,normally they are pattas when teams like England,Australia come but they prepare seaming tracks whenever India travels .If the tracks are similar to those in the test matches then rahane will come handy (even slow knocks) but on flat belters he'll become a road block 

7 minutes ago, SecondSlip said:

99% of pitches in odi cricket are excellent to bat on where 300 is par. You will very rarely get a pitch like the one we got in the first odi against SL in dharamshala last month. 

That’s why players like Azhar Ali and Ajinkya Rahane are liabilities in modern day odi cricket.

Stop with the greenbro comparisons to our players.  That's disrespectful to a Rahane and a Karthik.  Karthik may be an underachiever, but is a 100x better than Khatmal.  And Rahane has scored tough runs all over the world.   Stop insulting them.

25 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Sure.  But how does that help us in 2019 WC.  Where you know the tracks are going to be flat-400 apart from the odd exception?

For a captain who's shown remarkable gumption in making brave and "forward thinking" selections in test cricket, Virat is being hard-core orthodox conservative in LOIs.   

How many flat 400 wickets we saw in CT ? None

Same will be the case in world cup.Pitches will be overseen by IcC and with the drawn out nature of world cup ,wickets will be 280-300 par particularly in the later stages.

Rahane shouldn't really be in the odi team, but all these hyperbole about 400 wkts is nonsense as seen in CT

26 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I don't agree with his selection , it's just that he's in the squad and just for series perspective am ok if hes played ..It's another debate if rahane should be in the squad .

19 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

you never know. we have been seeing very high scoring games in SA recently.

Yeah I agree , but I don't recollect india ever playing on such pitches and day night games will be a big factor , I think we will struggle chasing totals even if our bowlers can contain them for sub par totals . 

On your typical sa flat pitch also , rahane should do fine . No spin and ball will come on nicely just have to time well which he does , unlike india where you need bit of power game .

2 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Yeah I agree , but I don't recollect india ever playing on such pitches and day night games will be a big factor , I think we will struggle chasing totals even if our bowlers can contain them for sub par totals . 

On your typical sa flat pitch also , rahane should do fine . No spin and ball will come on nicely just have to time well which he does , unlike india where you need bit of power game .

The short wickets and bounce will help as well.He is actually a very good hitter of the ball when it comes on and has consistent bounce and shorter boundaries helps.

Problem is don't think he will have anything similar in world cup in England.It will be a very short term solution.