Virat likes Rahane at #4 in ODIs :((

sandeep

6 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Rahane can bat at higher pace as he has done in the IPL. However issue is that he has failed a lot after being giving plenty of chances.

The guy over all in terms of ability to play all the formats is right up there with Kohli, so that thing shouldn’t be questioned that Rahane can play ODI’s or not. Thing going against Rahane is that Rahane has been inconsistent.(consistent of late).

That's the worst comparison I ever heard, comparing Kohli's all format skill to Rahane is insult to Kohli. I have yet to see Rahane win any ODI or T20 by himself when everyone else in the team fails.

He is almost 30 years old and played 84 ODI's. ODI's and T20's needs players who can win a match by themselves sometimes, he can't.

Kohli's stats in 2012 (Aged 23?) : 91 matches, 13 centuries, 51.13 Avg,  86 SR, 12 MOM, 2 MOS.

It includes this match, which he won by himself...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8531/scorecard/518966/india-vs-sri-lanka-11th-match-aus-tri-series-cb-2011-12/

Edited by jinjar
1 hour ago, BeardedAladdin said:

He says he finds ODI captaincy more difficult than test captaincy. This explains his conservatism to some extent.

I'm not too critical of his ODI captaincy. The CT loss was disappointing, but he learned from it - replacing the containment of Ashwin/Jadeja with the strike capability of Chahal and Kuldeep. He sets attacking fields and looks to bowl the other team out. He is slowly building his own team, as opposed to just leading Dhoni's team.

India hasn't found a stable middle order batsman, but nobody has really made a case. The team is still in try-out mode. That's not kohli's fault, he needs somebody to take advantage of the opportunity and make some huge scores. This is a 6 match series, so we'll see Shreyas Iyer and Rahane getting opportunities to bat 4, whoever gets a hundred will win that job.

India desperately need a good #4, it would take the pressure off kohli to bat thru the middle overs.

I hope Rahane fails, he is not a winner, more of a nudger, he has little impact on the outcome of a LOI game. When was the last time he won a game by himself or took control of the innings against a good side?.

While world teams bring in guys like Chris lynn, jos buttler, jason roy and new talent, we try rahane again and again. Shreyas iyer did well at 3 and should be given a game.

Manish pandey has an overseas 100 in a matchwinning cause against Australia. These two should be in the scheme of things, not rahane and karthik. No pant is a big dissapointment. Kohli needs to wisen up.

1 hour ago, BeardedAladdin said:

He says he finds ODI captaincy more difficult than test captaincy. This explains his conservatism to some extent.

I'm not too critical of his ODI captaincy. The CT loss was disappointing, but he learned from it - replacing the containment of Ashwin/Jadeja with the strike capability of Chahal and Kuldeep. He sets attacking fields and looks to bowl the other team out. He is slowly building his own team, as opposed to just leading Dhoni's team.

India hasn't found a stable middle order batsman, but nobody has really made a case. The team is still in try-out mode. That's not kohli's fault, he needs somebody to take advantage of the opportunity and make some huge scores. This is a 6 match series, so we'll see Shreyas Iyer and Rahane getting opportunities to bat 4, whoever gets a hundred will win that job.

India desperately need a good #4, it would take the pressure off kohli to bat thru the middle overs.

Iyer didnt get a 100 but 2 fifties in 3 games at good SR and is an attacking batsmen, will take the game forward.

5 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Dhoni up there with Kohli for ODI’s.

For T20s, he is not required and we need to move on from him in that forma.

Time to realize that there is a massive difference in terms of t20 requirement for India and ODI’s requirements.

Dhoni is needed for world cup 2019 while Dhoni is not needed for t20 world cup.

Dhoni has past it even in ODIs.

5 minutes ago, SUMO said:

They are not finding any batsman in the middle order who can do part time bowling job....that shorty jadhav hack is getting free run.

That is so sad though Rahane Pandey Jadhav Dhoni Karthik none of them are good enough...that is 5 open slots to try new players :wall:  

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

That is so sad though Rahane Pandey Jadhav Dhoni Karthik none of them are good enough...that is 5 open slots to try new players :wall:  

I think hooda should be tried immediately if selectors have vision...either one of hooda(if he succeeds) or raina will play the WC.

Rahane Dk jadhav should have been discarded by now. Its blasphemous to question dhoni. 

Last resort.. For captain kohli. Rahane will provide stability. The fault lies in no 5 nd 6 no.. With jhadav nd dhoni coming they doesn't evoke much confidence. Which so much of batting powress we r not able to find a genuine power hitter Or evn sweet timer of cricket ball someone like rohit who can bat at 5 or 6.. Team needs fresh breathe of air.. Guys like pant, rana, hooda, Iyer, gill, Krunal pandyand other talented players need to be in scheme of thing

5 minutes ago, SUMO said:

I think hooda should be tried immediately if selectors have vision...either one of hooda(if he succeeds) or raina will play the WC.

Rahane Dk jadhav should have been discarded by now. Its blasphemous to question dhoni. 

I would go with Krunal Pandya instead of Hooda maybe because I watch more IPL than domestic limited overs especially LIST A

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

I would go with Krunal Pandya instead of Hooda maybe because I watch more IPL than domestic limited overs especially LIST A

May be krunal is better but I value 50+ avg in first class more than ipl. I thinks its fair to go with him first. Hooda also had 1 good ipl season.

I forgot shanker he could be another good option.

4 minutes ago, SUMO said:

May be krunal is better but I value 50+ avg in first class more than ipl. I thinks its fair to go with him first. Hooda also had 1 good ipl season.

I forgot shanker he could be another good option.

True domestics need to be valued over IPL but I personally think only first class for test slots...poor pitches or weak bowling still you need to setup a batsman as a fast bowler or spinner and show temperament as a batsman.

However I consider IPL as a benchmark for limited overs selection given how even Pujara etc  have stellar List A records....IPL has a lot of things big stakes,pressure situations and quality bowling...I am not saying IPL is the be all and end all but should be given more weight for LOis than Syed Mushtaq ali and Vijay Harare competitions.

Krunal Pandya innings in the IPL final was pretty high stakes... we might mock IPl all we want,intensity in IPL is off the charts...Smith was even crying after his heroic effort which failed and no denying how hard players try to make a mark.

I am not saying Hoodas consistency should be ignored. Both should be in the scheme of things but I personally think Krunal has a huge upside, but then again haven’t seen much of Hooda apart from IPL so may be wrong.

Shankar was impressive too based on how assured he looked at the crease and his temperament was tremendous...however again I don’t rate his bowling by what I saw in first class cricket...not sure about his list a bowling.

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

True domestics need to be valued over IPL but I personally think only first class for test slots...poor pitches or weak bowling still you need to setup a batsman as a fast bowler or spinner and show temperament as a batsman.

However I consider IPL as a benchmark for limited overs selection given how even Pujara etc  have stellar List A records....IPL has a lot of things big stakes,pressure situations and quality bowling...I am not saying IPL is the be all and end all but should be given more weight for LOis than Syed Mushtaq ali and Vijay Harare competitions.

Krunal Pandya innings in the IPL final was pretty high stakes... we might mock IPl all we want,intensity in IPL is off the charts...Smith was even crying after his heroic effort which failed and no denying how hard players try to make a mark.

I am not saying Hoodas consistency should be ignored. Both should be in the scheme of things but I personally think Krunal has a huge upside, but then again haven’t seen much of Hooda apart from IPL so may be wrong.

Shankar was impressive too based on how assured he looked at the crease and his temperament was tremendous...however again I don’t rate his bowling by what I saw in first class cricket...not sure about his list a bowling.

Agreed best thing would good first class base backed with ipl performances.

Hooda and shanker can correct their ipl record in couple of minths but krunal can not. 

If shanker and pandya both are in side they can together complete 4th pacers quote. Shanker may be slightly intelligent bowler than hardik to use variation in limited overs. He looks to have good head on his shoulders judging by his composed batting.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

In before @WC2011INDIA throws up

@Cricketics goes into wet dreams about Gill replacing Rahane for the next odi 

and @sandeep and Ravi Shastri say we will smmmmmmmmaaaaash them

and @sarcastic throws a party for this epic decision 

I am actually fine with Rahane playing at this time. Not a crazy fan of him in ODI’s but its hard to expect him to be dropped now after he has been oart of pretty much every ODI series at home recently.

He fails here then should be dropped. I believe he will do well in South African series. Might suit his style. 

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Dhoni has past it even in ODIs.

Not really, I think its little early to say that. His average might have gone down but I don’t see many players not matching him in terms of temperament. Players like Pandey haven’t taken the opportunity like I would have liked and Rahul hasn’t played enough unfortunately and for some reason isn’t even part of the teamz So we will have to keep Dhoni for now.