Contribution to Indian cricket : Is there anyone even close to Dravid?

3 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

you have already turned this into a Dravid vs Tendulkar thread . why cant some of you tendulkar fans handle a little praise for other players ? 

No...I praised Dravid for his “job” as a coach and his “accomplishments” as a cricketer and his “personality” for being a good guy/gentleman

All I said is greatest contributior to Indian cricket is a little too much.

1 minute ago, maniac said:

No...I praised Dravid for his “job” as a coach and his “accomplishments” as a cricketer and his “personality” for being a good guy/gentleman

All I said is greatest contributior to Indian cricket is a little too much.

Backhanded and expected .

Infact I do agree Tendulkar overall is the biggest contributor to Indian cricket  , though I have been a critic hes had an impact which no other player has or ever will, but you can say that without putting down other players . 

Contribution to cricket  examples- donating  money for charity related to cricket  

build cricket academies for poor kids or in villages 

building stadiums/cricket facilities

helping old retired cricketers

etc etc

doing your job efficiently,professionally  and effectively for all the money you are getting paid is not exactly called “contribution” in my book.

1 minute ago, jusarrived said:

Backhanded and expected .

Infact I do agree Tendulkar overall is the biggest contributor to Indian cricket  , though I have been a critic hes had an impact which no other player has or ever will, but you can say that without putting down other players . 

What backhanded? I genuinely mean it

@maniac, pray tell us what are Sachin, Ganguly, Laxman, Kumble so busy with that they can't contribute? 

Sachin , yes, he is busy trying to promote his son as a u19 cricketer for Mumbai! 

And Sachin played 20+ years for free? He got a lot by being in the team , even as a passenger post 2011.

And why should we always end up comparing everybody to Sachin all the time? His fans are so insecure.

Best part about Dravid and the whole gang is that they do it silently behind the scenes.

Edited by coffee_rules
3 minutes ago, maniac said:

What backhanded? I genuinely mean it

you genuinely meant , hes coaching u-19 team cos he has no other choice , cos he was offered more money compared to DD ..the rest of x players are super humans with a busy life and million things to do , but Dravid is  some one who does not have a life post retirement ?  

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

@maniac, pray tell us what are Sachin, Ganguly, Laxman, Kumble so busy with that they can't contribute? 

Sachin , yes, he is busy trying to promote his son as a u19 cricketer for Mumbai! 

And Sachin played 20+ years for free? He got a lot by being in the team , even as a passenger post 2011.

And why should we always end up comparing everybody to Sachin all the time? His fans are so insecure.

Best part about Dravid and the whole gang is that they do it silently behind the scenes, Unlike nicky shots who coaches only with anecdotes. 

How is doing your job well a contribution?

He deserves all the praise for a job well done absolutely.

Ganguly is an admin, Kumble is a businessman/just had a stint as the coach,Laxman was an admin as well and also has his business,Sehwag is in the media and runs a cricket academy,Sachin is a politican,businessman and has plenty of  social  obligations and still makes appearances.

As far as being behind the scenes go, there is a better chance of people knowing Dravid as the coach of u-19 than knowing what Bumrah’s first name is.

If Dravid has left a multi million $$$ media gig and chose u-19 coaching I would accept the word contribution absolutely?

What about Shastri? He left a cushy media job and became coach of the Indian national team where the stakes are higher-do well Call that the greatest contribution too?

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Ganguly is an admin, Kumble is a businessman/just had a stint as the coach,Laxman was an admin as well and also has his business,Sehwag is in the media and runs a cricket academy,Sachin is a politican,businessman and has plenty of  social  obligations and still makes appearances.

As far as being behind the scenes go, there is a better chance of people knowing Dravid as the coach of u-19 than knowing what Bumrah’s first name is.

If Dravid has left a multi million $$$ media gig and chose u-19 coaching I would accept the word contribution absolutely?

What about Shastri? He left a cushy media job and became coach of the Indian national team where the stakes are higher-do well Call that the greatest contribution too?

Even Tendulkar was in BCCIs payroll for 2 decades ? Job well done then 

49 minutes ago, kira said:

I respect dravid a lot for his insane work ethic and professionalism but no cricketer, and I mean NO freaking cricketer comes even close to Sachin Tendulkar when it comes to contribution to cricket ( not just Indian cricket, any cricket). Sachin has inspired generations of cricketers with his awesome career, Kohli is a product of sachin tendulkar

It can also be argued that Sachin is a product of Sunil Gavaskar 

40 minutes ago, maniac said:

Dravid left his cushy job in IPL to coach U19 and 'A' teams as well.   

3 hours ago, sourab10forever said:

Kudos to this man who has actually contributed immensely even after retiring, unlike so many other legends who have either just contributed as commentators or have taken up some high paying administrative role or taken-up some time-pass side business like Rajya Sabha MP etc.

Added that for you, very true statement.

Dravid is such a gentleman for doing this. 

Also how much accountability is really there for A teams and U-19 teams?

some of the past U-19s teams have had 5-6 players who have went on to have great to decent international careers for their country and won U19 wcs I the process...do we even know the names of these coaches?

I will be surprised even if they got 10% pay of what RD is making.... Stop overhyping and start appreciating for a job well done.