Kedar Jadhav picked over Manish Pandey and Shreyas Iyer?

fineleg

Kedar gets the longer rope due to his bowling.  Reality is that Pandya is not a 10 over bowler, and we need another option (or 2) to finish the 5th bowler quota.   I would rather see either of Pandey or Iyer instead of Jadhav from a batting perspective, but you can't play with 4.5 bowlers - you actually need 5.5 at a minimum.   

5 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Its because of Pandya,not only is he a slogger but the captain clearly dreads his bowling so much that he is willing to put up with Jadhavs 3 overs of schoolboy darts.

Pandya isn't a slogger.  He has shown that against Australia with back to the wall innings and even if he is a slogger, you need someone like him at 7. 

Because Jadhav is a better ODI batsman and grabbed his chances when given.

Also much better hitter in closing stages and has the ability to finish of innings .

What's the use of Iyer at 5 or 6 when he can't go from the get go ?

As for Pandey , he was repeatedly given chances in top order and repeatedly failed .Can't live off that sydney 100 forever.

Jadhav might suck at fielding and might not be the biggest run scorer of late but he hasn’t had too many low scores to be dropped from the team all of a sudden. He is doing pretty food jov as a part time bowler. 

When he fails with the bat for a decent period then he will be allowing the management to drop him. For now he is doing the job and hasn’t really had enough batting of late to be judged.

Jadhav is not cut for international cricket period...one of those first class journey man cricketers at best...how he got such an extended run is beyond me....Pandey and Iyer should have got more chances to totally establish themselves even though not totally sold on either of them.

Only instance I will pick Jadhav is if the other option is Karthik who has no business being in the squad in 2018.  Had a fair chance and failed.

33 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Time for Shubman Gill to grab whats rightfully his! I would like to see him in place of Jadhav. Nothing against Jadhav, but I think we need younger players and I also think Jadhav is not a force in batting!

Gill won't suffice at no 5. He is more suited for no 4 position. For no 5 we can try hooda or krunal. Both carry a heavy bat nd are also more than decent bowler.

On 2/1/2018 at 10:55 PM, maniac said:

Jadhav is not cut for international cricket period...one of those first class journey man cricketers at best...how he got such an extended run is beyond me....Pandey and Iyer should have got more chances to totally establish themselves even though not totally sold on either of them.

Only instance I will pick Jadhav is if the other option is Karthik who has no business being in the squad in 2018.  Had a fair chance and failed.

So this is how the story goes. India were 60 odd for 4 chasing a mammoth 350 run target against England and Jadhav had an epic run stand with Kohli when we were in deep shyt and he came and started counter attacking and we ended winning that game due to his 65 ball 100.

That game took place exactly about an year ago. 

Since the Jadhav has been a bits and pieces with the bat but honestly with Indian top order dominating he hasn’t gotten to bat a whole lot. He has picked up some crucial wickets or done a decent job with the ball which has kept him in the team.

Verdict - Jadhav looks like an ordinary cricketer who sucks as a fielder big time but has incredible hitting ability. The moment Indian top order fails and if he gets to bat consistently and then he fails, then he should be dropped. Until then we will have to keep him as dropping him withou a fair batting chance is going to be really bad decision.

If India continues to bat like the way we did today, then Jadhav might not get to bat much in this series. He is here to stay in the team for now.

14 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

I wouldnt mind that if he was a better bowler,right now even kohli doesnt trust him to bowl 10 overs.

how many teams have a #7 who is a big hitter and is able to bowl his full 10 overs.  There will always be some shortcomings in a young player.  You want a ready-made perfect alrounder who can bat like Dhoni and bowl like Shami. Captain has to work around the options he has and maneuver them according to situations.