Where are all the experts now, thunders Ravi Shastri

Rohit over Rahane

Shastri: Right from the beginning, there was no doubt in the mind of the team management that Rohit was the batsman in form while Ajinkya was struggling, not just on the field but in the nets too. Rohit was averaging more than 200 in Tests and had scored around 1200-odd runs in ODIs. So, what does the team tell him? Your runs don't matter because that's how it works? Performances count and that makes this whole talking point a no-brainer. We all know what Ajinkya is capable of, but before coming here, he was averaging about 30 all through 2017.

Bumrah's debut

Shastri: It wasn't an overnight decision. Close to six months ago, we began work on this. Bumrah was our surprise package coming here and did it work? Of course. Tell me the last time a bowler has delivered so confidently on debut and has been learning so quickly. He was among the most consistent. In Cape Town, he bowled us back into the Test from where we could have won. In Johannesburg, he was simply intimidating.

Bhuvi missing in Centurion

Shastri: Watch India's first innings at Centurion. Quinton de Kock was keeping up front for Vernon Philander. That's how slow the wicket was. Bringing in Ishant made all the difference. He has been phenomenal. We knew Bhuvi had to be played at the Wanderers and in fact, given the Centurion wicket - it had nothing for pace bowlers, leave alone swing - we knew Bhuvi would be fresh for the third Test. Ishant bowled beautifully in the first innings at Centurion, he got us both, AB & Faf and what a tireless effort it's been from him. When did Ishant last bowl like this series? Not even Perth.

Chopping and changing
Shastri: That's why I'm saying, where are the experts now? What chopping and changing? Sometime during the Centurion Test, Ajinkya was getting back into his rhythm. He was knocking well in the nets and Rohit was struggling, so we decided to do whatever looked better at that point in time and Ajinkya was in the eleven. And he scored at the Wanderers. Dropping or picking Bhuvi was not chopping or changing. It was a decision taken according to the pitch and the conditions. It's simple, had we scored more runs in the second innings at Cape Town and the second innings at Centurion, this whole series would've been different.

rohit over rahane was a blunder.

not playing bumrah in sl series if they were expecting him to make debut in sa was a blunder.

dropping bhuvi in centurion was a blunder.

it was for everyone to see the insecurity in most players coz of the frequent chopping and changing.

picking dhawan over rahul to start the series was also a blunder. rahul didn't perform is a different matter. but expecting dhawan to perform on seaming pitches in sa was a blunder.

apart from lack of preparation and dropped catches, this blunders after blunders cost us the series. and this guy is still defending it.

Edited by renjith

Oh! I see Rahane magically starts batting good in nets before 3rd test and Rohit who was magical in nets magically struggles just before the 3rd test and   hence Rahane was selected over Rohit in 3rd test. :hysterical:

Also how has Ishant being phenomenal. Mr unlucky sharma got some lucky wickets in 2nd test. The most one could say he was good. How was he phenomenal? :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, renjith said:

rohit over rahane was a blunder.

not playing bumrah in sl series if they were expecting him to make debut in sa was a blunder.

dropping bhuvi in centurion was a blunder.

it was for everyone to see the insecurity in most players coz of the frequent chopping and changing.

apart from lack of preparation and dropped catches, this blunders after blunders cost us the series. and this guy is still defending it.

On the bowling front, I disagree. The wicket didn't offer much to a similar bowler in Philander. Ngidi, a tall fast bowler, was the best bowler in that game and Ishant was also very good from our side.

We needed Bhuvi the lower order batsman in Centurion. 

9 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

On the bowling front, I disagree. The wicket didn't offer much to a similar bowler in Philander. Ngidi, a tall fast bowler, was the best bowler in that game and Ishant was also very good from our side.

We needed Bhuvi the lower order batsman in Centurion. 

I understand that point. but won't you call it a blunder if faf dropped philander in centurion citing this similar point?

Well done shastri doing great job . Performance and results show this 

team shows great fight and togetherness. Could not happen unless coach was on it . 

Under appreciated shastri . Both stints as India coach results good . Yet on icf labelled and made fun off , stereotyped

Enjoyed a beer ( why do people hate fact likes to unwind with a drink and enjoy life a bit) and laid smack down on icf lol 

The 1st point was a blunder, absolutely no other way to look at it. If form is so important, what next, take a gully cricketer with avg. 1000 and throw him on seaming pitches?? Rahane's ability was there for everyone to see in the last test.

Agree with him on selecting Ishant instead of Bhuvi, that was a good call. Ishant is no beast but Bhuvi wouldn't have been able to do much on that surface. Maybe they could've selected Jadeja but that's asking for too much foresight.

7 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

A series lost is a great achievement for Shastri! What a pathetic parasite!

I'll cut them some slack this one time. The vultures were out after the second Test. Some really insecure people on this forum were actually wishing that the team got white washed to prove their points. Team replied in the best way possible. 

In the context of the series, it was a dead rubber but in the grand scheme of things the win helped us retain the Test mace for another year.

Just now, The Dark Horse said:

Even without a coach the team would have had the same results.

O ok .

so let’s gets this correct . Wins are nothing to do with shastri , only losses to do with shastri ?  That’s fair lol

same with skipepr . Wins nothing to with skipper only losses ? 

I would crack jokes on self loathing and wrist slitting but in this pc world would be accused of bullying so I won’t say this :giggle: