Why hasn't Bengal produced many quality international cricketers?

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Ganguly

Saha

Shami, Doshi and Ojha.

Kolkata has been big cricketing center for long time now.

Isn't Shami a Bihari import?  And Ojha was a chucker.  Doshi who?  

Saha is a valuable role player in one format, granted.  And So since Ganguly's debut in 1996, Kolkata's contribution to Indian cricket is more like Laxmi Ratan "Bindaas" Shukla, Ashok "high jump" Dinda, and Manoj "never was" Tiwary.  Current India 'A' squad has Ganguly's sifarishi candidate Sudip Chatterjee - the 27th best batsman in the most recent Ranji trophy.  

Kolkata's claim to cricket fame is having a the biggest concrete bowl of a stadium, burning newspapers, and rioting when things don't as they expect - whether its an ODI WC semi-final or a test against Pakistan.  

Keep calm and eat some JhalMuri.  I'll have a few rossogullas. :p:

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I think youngsters are more into football there. Even with a massive following of cricket in TN, there are not many international level players from there compared to Mumbai, or even Karnataka. Damned Mumbai Lobby !

How many great footballers they have produced?

One Ganguly compensates for half a dozen average cricketers. In my mind Ganguly was the point of inflexion for Indian cricket. He took zonal selection out and made sure the most talented people play.

On a serious note that is surprising. Whenever I was in Cacutta every Bengali loved sports and I respected them for their love of Mohun Bagan.

I think Bengal had some real good players but just not good enough to get in. I think I forgot the name of spinner could have easily played for India.Hopefully I would love to see dozen ganguly's play for India.

25 minutes ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Also Telugu states - who don't lack for resources unlike Orissa, jharkhand etc.. but hardly any quality player after VVS... 

I personally feel caste feeling is the main reason in A.P whereas in Hyderabad it is undoubtedly laziness. Laziness is the national anthem here. The city wakes up at 9 and gets going by 11. 

Almost zero sporting culture at the least in Andhra. It's like you are born to study and become a visa holder.

1 hour ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Also Telugu states - who don't lack for resources unlike Orissa, jharkhand etc.. but hardly any quality player after VVS... 

I personally feel caste feeling is the main reason in A.P whereas in Hyderabad it is undoubtedly laziness. Laziness is the national anthem here. The city wakes up at 9 and gets going by 11. 

59 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Almost zero sporting culture at the least in Andhra. It's like you are born to study and become a visa holder.

Yeah... badminton doesn’t count right?

cricket is not the only sport

only South Indian state-to have 2 Olympic medalists badminton and weightlifting 

also there is a good culture of Kabaddi,volleyball and basketball 

next time i suggest doing some reading or thinking before spouting nonsense

Edited by maniac