No fast tracking of U19 players

gattaca

.WHy not if they are good enough? Dinesh karthik at the age of 19 scored a match winning 93 against Pakistan. He forged a crucial partnership with Dravid. Ishant was 19 when he made debut. Irfan was 19. So many players made debut when they were young. What is the point of having out of form players at the age of 35.  You cannot make them wait just beacuse they are young. 

4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

.WHy not if they are good enough? Dinesh karthik at the age of 19 scored a match winning 93 against Pakistan. He forged a crucial partnership with Dravid. Ishant was 19 when he made debut. Irfan was 19. So many players made debut when they were young. What is the point of having out of form players at the age of 35.  You cannot make them wait just beacuse they are young. 

pappu patel and bhajji were 17, and srt was 16. it's clear that ishant regressed/stagnated after his early entry until recently. i think irfan was also brought in a bit soon. there's nothing wrong with players coming in below 20, but they should ideally have been tested in at least 2 out of 3: (i) india zonal tourneys (duleep, deodhar), (ii) ipl and (iii) india A

don't think anyone in current squad has 2 out of 3, apart from maybe shaw

8 minutes ago, Dada's Army said:

Fast tracking is not that simple. Apart from Dhoni, our LO side is not that old. Fast tracking upcoming talent will simultaneously mean giving up on on many of our current starters/ squad. 

our 4 and 5 slots are not yet settled. however, i agree fast tracking is not easy

2 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Pant barely even played. Granted he didn't do well against West Indies but those could be attributed to nerves but he played 3 balls against England. And he didn't get to keep in any of them because our worst t20 player is worried about his brand value.

however, it is true that they did play and were fast-tracked - even if it was a handful of matches. i think washington DC will get more chances in the future.

3 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Why should they? They haven't done anything to earn it.

Unmukt Chand is having a mediocre professional career:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/player/446499.html

And its not like he didn't play India 'A'. They gave him the opportunity to prove his 'talent'. you have to make a strong case and most of these kids usually don't.

at most 2-3 can become ind regulars from this squad. rest will either burn out, regress or fail to perform at highrr levels. from the unmukt squad, a lot of people predicted rapid entry of harmeet singh, baba aparajith and unmukt. the first has left cricket, the other two have ordinary fc and list a records but were still selected in ind A squads.

Just now, BeardedAladdin said:

Pant is averaging 21 in domestic limited overs cricket.  Sanju Samson averaging 28. These guys don't deserve a place in the Indian squad.

If they were averaging 40+ you could make a case, but they haven't done that.

The selectors aren't stupid, they actually look at these numbers.

Have they seen Karthik and Rahane's numbers in ODIs? Or Dhawan's in T20Is.

2 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Pant is averaging 21 in domestic limited overs cricket.  Sanju Samson averaging 28. These guys don't deserve a place in the Indian ODI squad.

If they were averaging 40+ you could make a case, but they haven't done that.

The selectors aren't stupid, they actually look at these numbers.

Karthik has awesome domestic numbers and yet he looks crap in every opportunity he gets. You telling me pant or Samson isn't better than pappu? Look at pant in IPL. Hasnt he shown that he should be in every t20 game now? We're replacing dhoni FFS. Not some great batsman. And don't take those list a stats seriously. Those aren't a great barometer to judge whether someone is ready or not.

Just now, Laaloo said:

Karthik has awesome domestic numbers and yet he looks crap in every opportunity he gets. You telling me pant or Samson isn't better than pappu? Look at pant in IPL. Hasnt he shown that he should be in every t20 game now? We're replacing dhoni FFS. Not some great batsman. And don't take those list a stats seriously. Those aren't a great barometer to judge whether someone is ready or not.

how is ipl a great barometer, esp for odis?

1 minute ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Pant has already played in the T20 side. They noticed, and they rewarded him, he's not uncapped.

LOL @ "dont take stats seriously", toh kya uski maa se pooch ke select karein? That's an absurd comment.

Karthik is the best limited overs batsman outside the Indian team, his runs won Tamil nadu the deodhar trophy.

You cant ask a player to do anything more than score lots of runs. If Pant and Samson make those runs, they're in the team. Maybe karthik has improved? Only one way to find out.

I agree that Dhawan shouldn't be playing international T20.

nor should dhawan play any tests outside SC.

4 minutes ago, BeardedAladdin said:

Karthik is the best limited overs batsman outside the Indian team, his runs won Tamil nadu the deodhar trophy.

You cant ask a player to do anything more than score lots of runs. If Pant and Samson make those runs, they're in the team. Maybe karthik has improved? Only one way to find out.

I agree that Dhawan shouldn't be playing international T20.

Karthik might be greatest List A and warm up matches batsman in the world but has failed time and again while playing as a batsman in ODIs. Recently against SL he scored an 18 ball duck and yet he keeps being selected. Ridiculous that he gets chance after chance whereas Pant was treated like **** and discarded after one failure in WI.