Maldives crisis: India looks at sanctions, not boots on ground

chapetmarunga

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/maldives-crisis-india-looks-at-sanctions-not-boots-on-ground-5054225/

“They want us to send warships and put boots on the ground, but we don’t want to be drawn into sending the military to sort out a political mess there,” sources said. Even just sending a special envoy was out of the question, sources said, as there was no guarantee that Yameen would engage with such a representative. Instead, they said, India is hoping to work together with a group of countries, including the US and Saudi Arabia, to bring pressure on the Yameen government through “sanctions”, if needed

6 hours ago, Vilander said:

this is a sane decision. India should not get drawn into this, the local population is islamic and would not react kindly to Indian mlitary intervention eventually, its a political issue and should get a political resolution. 

Military intervention should be the last resort, but absolutely no reason why India shouldn't be more active behind the scenes, to try and push the UN to get involved.   If the UN can't do anything in a blatant abuse of power, in a small country like Maldives, what's the point of it then?

6 hours ago, sandeep said:

Its spectacularly beautiful.   To be honest, I don't think any of the hotel 'islands' would be impacted at all.  

We had an amazing deal with Taj Exotica the last time around. It was a nice property, but not worth the hype/price. Its very close to Male City. And un-seasonal rains meant we were confined indoors for 2 days. (not that I was complaining :hide:  :p ) This time we plan to go to the North atoll.

Now the MEA has issued a travel advisory. So we are going to wait and watch.

7 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

We had an amazing deal with Taj Exotica the last time around. It was a nice property, but not worth the hype/price. Its very close to Male City. And un-seasonal rains meant we were confined indoors for 2 days. (not that I was complaining :hide:  :p ) This time we plan to go to the North atoll.

Now the MEA has issued a travel advisory. So we are going to wait and watch.

Yeah the Taj properties are too close to the main island.   You want one of the isolated ones if you are going to go to Maldives.   Wifey keeps telling me that we have to go back for the 25th anniversary - and I keep telling her it was a one-off!   I would recommend Anantara if you haven't chosen one yet.   Love their hotels - they are like a poor man's Aman resorts.  

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Go to Mauritius, Seychelles or even even Lakshadweep instead. 

Lakshadweep has area which are military only. And for what places there charge, no value for money. The people who've been there say its a poor cousin of Maldives.

Seychelles: You need a yellow fever shot!!

Mauritius is a decent option but insane flight times. This is a short vacation. 

7 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Lakshadweep has area which are military only. And for what places there charge, no value for money. The people who've been there say its a poor cousin of Maldives.

Seychelles: You need a yellow fever shot!!

Mauritius is a decent option but insane flight times. This is a short vacation. 

Mauritius has just 8 hr flight. It’s not insane.