Have we found 21st century spin quartet?

vvvslaxman

Not sure how much the spin quatret will play together but they are all world class spinners indeed - especially Ashwin and Jadeja in test matches back home.

But we have surely have found bowlers who can form pace quartret like  it should in the 21st century

Some combinations which could be are:-

Bhuvi-Bumrah-Shami-Saini

or

Bhuvi-Bumrah-Shami-Umesh

or

Bhuvi-Bumrah-Shami-Aaron - Hopefully one day

or 

Bhuvi-Bumrah-Shami-Thampi 

or 

Bhuvi-Bumrah-Shami-Khejroliya

or

Bhuvi-Bumrah-Shami-Naharkoti

2 minutes ago, Pollack said:

21st century? We might get two or three more kohli's by the time it ends. More like our wrist spinners duplet of current time. Ashwin and Jadeja are soon going to be irrelevant unless Ashwin succeeds in his leg spin.

Ashwin

2015 - 9 test 62 wickets 17.20 avge Highest by any bowler for the calendar year

2016 - 12 tests 72 wickets 23.9 avge  Highest by any bowler for the calendar year

2017 - 11 tests 56 wickets 27.58 avge 3rd highest by any bowler for the calendar year

2018 -  2 tests  7 wickets 30 avge

Jadeja

2015 - 4 test 23 wickets 10 avge 

2016 - 9 tests 43 wickets 24.55  avge  

2017 - 10  tests 54 wickets 23.20 avge

Pray tell me How Ashwin or Jadeja are going to be irrelevant. Finger spinners still have lot of say in subcontinent conditions. 

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Ashwin

2016 - 12 tests 72 wickets 23.9 avge  Highest by any bowler for the calendar year

2017 - 11 tests 56 wickets 27.58 avge 3rd highest by any bowler for the calendar year

Jadeja

Pray tell me How Ashwin or Jadeja are going to be irrelevant. Finger spinners still have lot of say in subcontinent conditions. 

Wrist spinners can do as good or better than finger spinners in subcontinent condition. And who knows after few years wrist spinners are played better than now all over the world. So they may go out of trend too. Point being if you call this spin quartet of 21st century they should be outstanding, exceptionally talented and unique.

2 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Wrist spinners can do as good or better than finger spinners in subcontinent condition. And who knows after few years wrist spinners are played better than now all over the world. So they may go out of trend too. Point being if you call this spin quartet of 21st century they should be outstanding, exceptionally talented and unique.

That is mere conjecture. Ashwin brings in way more variations than kuldeep/chahal combined. He has about 6 variations at his disposal. Ashwin already achieved greatness. Jadeja is on his way. Only Chahal/Kuldeep are unknown quantities yet in Tests. So suggesting these two wrist spinners are frontline spinners is far fetched. We never know how will do. I hope they do well. In a hypothetical scenario on a spinning track these 4 will offer more variations than the spin quartets we had in the 70s.

40 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Not sure how much the spin quatret will play together but they are all world class spinners indeed - especially Ashwin and Jadeja in test matches back home.

But we have surely have found bowlers who can form pace quartret like  it should in the 21st century

Bhuvi-Bumrah-Shami-Saini

or

Bhuvi-Bumrah-Shami-Umesh

or

or 

or 

or

I will pick Khaleel ahead of Thampi.  He has all the tools to succeed and become a great left arm pacer for us.

16 minutes ago, Pollack said:

you need more accurate bowlers in subcontinent who can bowl at a quicker pace on turning tracks. 

5 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

I will pick Khaleel ahead of Thampi.  He has all the tools to succeed and become a great left arm pacer for us.

There are many options. With so many youngsters now but I don’t want to bore  people here but I can write all day about how many options could be tried.

I just want to see Aaron one time in the same bowling attack as Bumrah-Shami and Bhuvneshwar on Australian wickets or in England. May be few years from now since its not going to happen this time.

I hope Aaaron has a great FC season this coming year. 

10 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Bhuvi-Bumrah-Shami-Saini

or

Bhuvi-Bumrah-Shami-Umesh

or

or 

or 

or

The challenge for selectors and captain is no longer to find players - its to pick the right ones.   India has a massive stable of young talent.   Can it be developed properly? I think the IPL and the spread of better facilities and coaching take care of this for the most part.  Can it be harnessed via proper selections and grooming in the national team and squad?  That's another question.

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

The challenge for selectors and captain is no longer to find players - its to pick the right ones.   India has a massive stable of young talent.   Can it be developed properly? I think the IPL and the spread of better facilities and coaching take care of this for the most part.  Can it be harnessed via proper selections and grooming in the national team and squad?  That's another question.

Yes, grooming these bowlers it the challenge. You can’t have Bumrah and Bhuvi or Shami be playing 4 out of 5 games.

You must assign them games and then rotate them with these other bowlers so wr have bigger pool of bowlers who have had some games at international level.

After few series, all of a sudden we will have 3-5 bowlers extra who would have played 5-7  odi games each and thats great for them and for Indian crixket that we will have players who are not feeling inexperienced coming back into international cricket in a major odi series or tournament. 

31 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Yes, grooming these bowlers it the challenge. You can’t have Bumrah and Bhuvi or Shami be playing 4 out of 5 games.

You must assign them games and then rotate them with these other bowlers so wr have bigger pool of bowlers who have had some games at international level.

After few series, all of a sudden we will have 3-5 bowlers extra who would have played 5-7  odi games each and thats great for them and for Indian crixket that we will have players who are not feeling inexperienced coming back into international cricket in a major odi series or tournament. 

I think we have to get used to the feeling we all have what could have been if we didn't bench Rahane in the 1st 2 tests, or Bhuvi in T2.   Get used to a situation where at any given time, there are going to be quality pacer bowlers, spinners, openers and other batsmen on the bench who are worthy of selection and could potentially win the game for you.   

12 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

I mean look at this. If we have a spinning track how good it will be if we play Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Chahal. Amazing variations. They bloody can take 40 wickets in 5 days.

Venkat = Ashwin

Bedi = Jadeja

Chandra = Chahal

Prasanna = Kuldeep 

Don't know about all being better spinners yet  but they are definitely all better batsmen 

Kuldeep might do real well in tests because of the xfactor  but Chahal can he do well when the batsmen are trying to just play him off the entire day? 

He is a a very clever thinking bowler but haven’t seen him produce those magic deliveries like googlies,flippers .

most times he deceived batsmen with flight when they go after him.

not writing him off but personally think Kuldeep will be a better test bowler than Chahal

11 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Ashwin

Jadeja

thats just from his arse. Dont waste your time with stating facts.

Edited by Vilander
11 hours ago, Pollack said:

really and Ashwin and Jadeja are not exceptional ? or Outstanding ? dude look at the amount of wickets they each took. If thats not fcking almighty opposition demoralisingly unique then what is ?