Rahul Chahar' s exclusion from the U-19 World Cup squad has led to a war of words between Venkatesh Prasad and Amitabh Choudhary.

What’s the story?

The selectors of the Indian U-19 team that won the world cup recently, haven’t been rewarded for doing their job. The BCCI ,under the supervision of the Supreme Court appointed Committee of Administrators(CoA), decided to give out pay-outs to all the members of the support staff who were part of the U-19 world cup winning team.

The Background

As everyone is celebrating the stupendous success of the Indian U-19 team, the people responsible for them aren’t too happy.

The three-member junior selection committee headed by former Indian pacer Venkatesh Prasad weren’t handed out any pay-outs or rewards as promised by the BCCI. This has got directly to do with the non-inclusion of Rahul Chahar in the squad

The details

Amitabh Choudhary, who is convenor of selectors and is from Jharkhand wanted Anukul Roy, a left-arm spinner instead of Rahul Chahar in the U-19 squad. Interestingly, head coach Rahul Dravid and head of the junior selection committee Venkatesh Prasad wanted Rahul Chahar in the squad.

This lead to a heated discussion between Venkatesh Prasad and Amitabh Choudhary as Rahul Chahar was the preferred choice to tour New Zealand but Choudhary used his muscle power within the BCCI in order to accommodate a player from his state.

The BCCI rewarded all the support-staff involved with the U-19 team in New Zealand, but hasn’t rewarded the three-member junior selection committee as a result of the heated argument which ensued because of Chahar not being picked.

What’s next?

It is still not sure whether Venkatesh Prasad and his team will get what they deserve. As their intentions were right, they wanted the best possible team to play for India in the U-19 World Cup. With him having a heated argument with the convenor of selectors, things may not work out in their favour anytime soon.

Interestingly, the player over which this issue has come out in the open- the Rajasthan leg-spinner Rahul Chahar isn’t complaining. As in the IPL auctions held recently, there was a heated bidding which took place and he ended up going to Mumbai Indians for a fantastic price of Rs 1.90 crores.

It has to be seen if there is a mediation which can happen, maybe the U-19 coach Rahul Dravid should intervene and make sure that the selection committee gets their due. Dragging this issue further just doesn’t look good, especially when the team has won the World Cup and has achieved something which everyone is proud of.

Author’s take

It is very sad to see power and inside politics take precedence over common sense. The Venkatesh Prasad-led junior selection committee had their interests in the right place. They wanted Rahul Chahar to play in the team.

But Choudhary being the convenor of selectors and more importantly being from Jharkhand wanted to get one of his state player Anukul Roy into the squad and he succeeded. The anger of Venkatesh Prasad and his team is justified.

It’s up to them to pick the best players based on skill and current form to represent the country to play for the U-19 World Cup. And their backing of Rahul Chahar is justified by the huge amount Mumbai Indians dished out at the auctions to acquire his services.

Hopefully, common sense prevails and there would be an amicable solution found in order to end this dispute. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/a-bonus-goes-missing-as-the-u-19-selectors-take-on-bcci-secretary?ref=vafeb

Anukul Roy was the highest wicket taker and easily the best spinner in sight. Moreover, Anukul Roy is a very poor boy coming from a small village in Bihar. It is easy to understand that this kid has no godfather and neither he had the money to buy selectors to choose him over Chahar. 

I say Anukul was the right choice and Venky is just using his muscle power to force issue as he has tried doing in the past. 

THIS is EXACTLY the reason why players who played well in U19 WC should not be drafted directly into the national team.. rather they should play in FC cricket for a couple of years and should be given Indian colours only if they cope up well there. 

if we pick gill and shaw or the 3 fast bowlers directly into the national team then just imagine the kind of favouritism and corruption that will happen in the subsequent U19 WC selections... it will become like a single ticket into the national team at the age of 17 

1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

Anukul Roy was the highest wicket taker and easily the best spinner in sight. Moreover, Anukul Roy is a very poor boy coming from a small village in Bihar. It is easy to understand that this kid has no godfather and neither he had the money to buy selectors to choose him over Chahar. 

I say Anukul was the right choice and Venky is just using his muscle power to force issue as he has tried doing in the past. 

hmmm...good to know that...

Some articles can be so misleading...

I have seen this boy bowl and he looks very good for 19 year old....

Not that chahar was bad ...but if i remeber correctly, he was out of form before the tournament

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I am sure author got his facts wrong and no way there was a question of either of two from Dravid because both were almost certain to play but it was Pankaj Yadav got selected instead of Chahar and not Anukul. Anukul was injured and didn't play Challengers but in an interview Anukul said Dravid had assured him for u19 WC berth once he was fit. 

2 hours ago, gakgupta said:

hmmm...good to know that...

Some articles can be so misleading...

I have seen this boy bowl and he looks very good for 19 year old....

Not that chahar was bad ...but if i remeber correctly, he was out of form before the tournament

The problem is, such incidents only pull down a players morale. If Anukul comes to know Venky and Dravid were/ are against him, imagine the mental plight of the kid. Understand that this kid is from a poor family coming from an irrelevant small village. He must already feel out of place, and such things will only make him nervous.

The problem is, such incidents only pull down a players morale. If Anukul comes to know Venky and Dravid were/ are against him, imagine the mental plight of the kid. Understand that this kid is from a poor family coming from an irrelevant small village. He must already feel out of place, and such things will only make him nervous.
Yup...totally agree
This kid has basic ingredients to be successful...all he needs is one IPL cobtract and he will richer than most of the people commenting here...atleast richer than what I am

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk