Dhoni should bat at number 4 or not be played

Cricketics

1 minute ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Please no. He's even worse at No. 4. I'd rather the team get in a desperate situation before Dhoni comes in to bat than him coming in to bat and making it a desperate situation.

You are over reacting. His run a ball game isn’t thst slow for number 4.

He will be fine if he comes at 4. He is one od those who can bat long and has proven record to bat long and not throwing his wicket once set.

Right now you hate him after seeing him struggle to hit. So that disappointment is adding and making many hate Dhoni even for number 4. 

We lost too many quick wickets in the middle again today had new batsman out there always. You want someone settld form before and Dhoni does that all the time.

Spot 4 is perfect for him

Should have moved to #4 since last 1 year...

But looking at things, its almost like the management will have no faith in anyone else until someone performs...we have been rotating so many players in middle order but nobody has grabbed any position with consistent performance...in such a scenario Kohli would keep playing Dhoni lower down...Someone needs to grab these opportunities...

8 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

Agree Tics,he cant hit them anymore but he can keep it at a run a ball and thats what we need at 4.

Sorry he is not a number 4, he simply does not have ability to rotate strike or hit big shots when needed, he needs to go.Let number 4 filled by young talent who can relieve pressure of Kohli and not compound it.

By art of deduction 

I will say this though...Dhoni looks more reliable than Jadhav,Pandya and Karthik

I would say Pandey is another guy who looks steady but comes across as another phattu batter like Dhoni...However since Dhoni can keep and Pandya can’t bowl,then Dhoni over him as well.

Iyer not sold on him but still what played 3 games,needs to be given some more chances.

So sad truth is Dhoni has a spot in “this” team :((

fk you slection comiitee and Also Dhoni is just another above average cricketer next time he says things like no one is above country etc etc he is a frickin hypocrite. He is not this saint everyone says he is.

6 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

You are over reacting. His run a ball game isn’t thst slow for number 4.

He will be fine if he comes at 4. He is one od those who can bat long and has proven record to bat long and not throwing his wicket once set.

Right now you hate him after seeing him struggle to hit. So that disappointment is adding and making many hate Dhoni even for number 4. 

We lost too many quick wickets in the middle again today had new batsman out there always. You want someone settld form before and Dhoni does that all the time.

Spot 4 is perfect for him

Depends on when he comes in at 4

Are you saying in a 20/2 situation or 200/2 situation?

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

Any time in first 25 overe or even till 30th over.

Which will happen a lot overseas since Rohit is going suck a lot or Kohli is going to fail eventually few times.

Let me try to answer that by not catching the Rohit  bait :giggle:

while I did agree above with you based on the current options available Dhoni is fine for the kind of situations you mentioned but that is due to lack of other options pretty much.

Iyer can be groomed in that spot or atleast given an extended run or even Rahul or even someone else.

My question to you is why should we be flexible to accommodate to a strengths of a player, shouldn’t it be the other way around to play the best player for each position? 

Just now, Cricketics said:

Any time in first 25 overe or even till 30th over.

Which will happen a lot overseas since Rohit is going suck a lot or Kohli is going to fail eventually few times.

Do you think Dhoni has in him to repair innings at 20/2 when facing new ball in first 5 overs.Dhoni even in his prime never had  that skill.

To bat at no 4 you need a very special player who has ability to repair the innings if needed or provide impetus to great start.

Dhoni like Sachin is hanging on too long he might be still a good wicket keeper to spinners but he is total liability in chasing big scores or on flat wickets.

They need to blood a youngster and give him a chance so he has some experience before world cup but selectors are proving to be morons.

I don't blame Iyer he may or maynot be good but you cannot write him off based on one series or one match.

15 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

His run a ball game isn’t thst slow for number 4.

He doesn't play run a ball at No. 4. He plays at a run every 2 balls. Then he more often than not doesn't play a long innings at the top order and in the process achieves nothing except for killing the momentum of the team.

He's better off in the lower middle order.

I think we need a consolidater at number 4 . I will be happy with a strike rate of 90-100 And  I think dhoni fits in here. Considering the world cup is too close we cannot try pant. I am still not sure if any wk batsman can hit from the go like what dhoni did earlier . Yes dhoni strike is pretty pedestrian these days but he holds up the middle order which will otherwise collapse.we need to be realistic.  Everybody is failing in middle order and singling out dhoni is not fair.

Number 5,6,7 are bigger worry. Manish , shubhman gill, KL rahul , shreyas and raina need to be tried out for 5,6. Pandya needs to get his act right soon else we have yousuf pathan 2.0 bubble building up.

Pandya, vijayshankar and krunal should be tried for the 7 slot. Give each of them at least 5 games consecutively. 

Rahane should be out because we have dhoni . Rohit need to retain as there is nnok alternative. 

Just now, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

He doesn't play run a ball at No. 4. He plays at a run every 2 balls. Then he more often than not doesn't play a long innings at the top order and in the process achieves nothing except for killing the momentum of the team.

He's better off in the lower middle order.

Agreed...hey by the way I want you to compensate me for all the downvotes you gave me for Jadhav...told you he was super mediocre.