How do you rate Virat after this SA series?

gakgupta

I don’t think many call him ftb. Most called him choker, which is actually as bad or worse than caling someone FTB I think.  Choker is someone who fails every time in a crucial situations, Kohli has passed most times in ICC tournaments barring having low scores in 2015 playoffs and 2011 wc. He has scored in champions trophy playoffs to being man of the tournament twice in ICC world t20, thats not what chokers do by being highest scorers in final of icc events and also being mvp of the same tournaments Thats more top performances than failiures in the games mentioned.

Yes, he could not do the same in 2015 q/f or in 2011 but that doesn’t mean he choked. It means he failed on those days just like how many other world class players have failed in playoffs of numerous world cup games in the past.  Many need to update their vocabulary, failing or not performing on certain bug days doesn’t mean choking.

Many players actually failed after playing multiple wc final games. We will never see stats for such games or such players.

People reach to an extent that they start bringing out stats for world cup play offs to show how certain players have done better. Its useless honestly and waste of time.

Kohli is heading towards being the greatest ODI player in the history of the game. Whether you are a Sachin Fan, or Ponting fan or Rohit Sharma fan or Gilchrist fan,  all know that we are watching a player who would eventually be considered as the greatest ODI player.

25 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I don’t think many call him ftb. Most called him choker, which is actually as bad or worse than caling someone FTB I think.  Choker is someone who fails every time in a crucial situations, Kohli has passed most times in ICC tournaments barring having low scores in 2015 playoffs and 2011 wc. He has scored in champions trophy playoffs to being man of the tournament twice in ICC world t20, thats not what chokers do by being highest scorers in final of icc events and also being mvp of the same tournaments Thats more top performances than failiures in the games mentioned.

Yes, he could not do the same in 2015 q/f or in 2011 but that doesn’t mean he choked. It means he failed on those days just like how many other world class players have failed in playoffs of numerous world cup games in the past.  Many need to update their vocabulary, failing or not performing on certain bug days doesn’t mean choking.

Many players actually failed after playing multiple wc final games. We will never see stats for such games or such players.

People reach to an extent that they start bringing out stats for world cup play offs to show how certain players have done better. Its useless honestly and waste of time.

Kohli is heading towards being the greatest ODI player in the history of the game. Whether you are a Sachin Fan, or Ponting fan or Rohit Sharma fan or Gilchrist fan,  all know that we are watching a player who would eventually be considered as the greatest ODI player.

you excluded the 2017 ct against pak. horrible captaincy decisions and then choking in the run chase. I don't think people consider kohli a FTB - in tests, barring eng he has done extremely well everywhere else.

I think Kohli is the type of character who is not complacent - total anti-Indian trait. He is fierce, hates to fail and super agressive. I would take a character like that any day over a lazy docile complacent, but talented guy. Good thing to see is that he learned from mistakes early on and carried this team. Too bad there was no match preparation before the tests and India were on the backfoot right away. Any way, they dominated the ODI series more than SA dominated the test series. This was a thumping win in alien conditions, mostly because of him. So credit goes, where credit is due. He has already proven that he is the best player in the world in the shorter formats, and by the time he hangs up his boots (provided he keeps this up), he will be the GOAT by a country mile. He still has to prove a bit more in away tests, especially with the England tour coming up, but he has a chance to silence his critics for a long while if he does well in England and Australia. Given his mentality, I think he is quite capable of doing that. 

My only problem with him is that his arrogance sometimes gets the best of him. It prevents him from admiting his mistakes (not necessarily to others, but to himself), from introspection and these traits can only make him better. There is nothing wrong with taking great pride in yourself because you know you are good, talented and capable of playing awesome knocks, but when its turns into arrogance it is not helpful. If he can learn to control that tow the fine line, he will get better as a captain and a teammate. He truly leads by example which is a wonderful trait, but he needs to set different expectations for all the different players in his team. I am not saying that he should not hold them to a high standard. He should, especially since they are playing in the national team. But he needs to realize that their level of talent may not measure up to his. This will set realistic goals for different players, will help him back his players and they will respond better to his leadership.

Edited by dandaroy
1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Greatest batsman since Bradman. 

He is the one who actually gives an impression how Bradman would have been in terms in impact and performance back then.

Right now I would put him a notch below Brian Lara in test cricket. I did not see Richards and Bradman so can't compare with them. He needs to achieve more in test cricket to equal Lara's single minded genius and his longevity will decide if he can equal sachin's prolonged brilliance.

1 minute ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Right now I would put him a notch below Brian Lara in test cricket. I did not see Richards and Bradman so can't compare with them. He needs to achieve more in test cricket to equal Lara's single minded genius and his longevity will decide if he can equal sachin's prolonged brilliance.

In Tests he has several players to beat even within India.  Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman. He will do eventually. His hunger is unparalleled

The "upgrade" of spin department had immensely contributed to the team's success. And Kohli played like Kohli. Of course, if only the middle order is more stable he would perform in the finals too where I think his average needs a lot of boost from 23-24 from now, I am not sure the exact stat - that is the only box which if he ticks would bring India more titles (and of course his team mates should perform too) and more individual glory to his already illustrious resume.

Before this series I would have rated him to become a short form (ODI/ 20:20) ATG and a Test great, overall a Great.

After this series I think he can be short form GOAT and Test ATG, overall ATG.

The biggest difference for me is that his potential ceiling just got so much higher.  It's mind boggling how he keeps growing.

It's incredible also how he's pulling the rest of the team with him. 

I'm deeply appreciate Dhoni, even though he's now declining as a batsman. So I don't care to get into a Kohli/ Virat fan fight.

That said, it seems to me (we'll never know because there are no alternate realities), that there is a huge, huge difference between the way Captains Dhoni and Kohli would have approached this series - player selection, attitude, expectations, end results. 

15 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Undisputed no.2 batsman in the world in Tests behind Smith. Already an ODI great but his performances in the next couple of WCs will decide where he stands in the ODI batting pantheon.

he could end up like messi though. messi was a great player but he never had the right team to show off his full ability at the WCs. something similar could happen with VK thanks to our crap middle order.