"We Are Far From Ready for The World Cup" - Ravi Shastri

Mosher

Good that the middle order batting issues are not being brushed under the carpet after this series win. Hopefully we will see some much needed changes in the middle order soon. 

In fact Shastri highlighted on the misfiring middle-order, and is not convinced with the way they performed throughout the ODI series. “It’s an area that requires work to be done. The top-order has batted beautifully and our bowlers were phenomenal but the fifth, sixth and the seventh slot in the batting order needs to be worked upon. Once we’re done with this series, we’ll have to sit down and weigh all options once again very carefully,” he said.

“I’ll be the first to admit our middle-order batting has looked ordinary. We failed to convert good starts into big totals. So, there are factors we’re looking at. At the same time, there are players back in India who’ve been doing well in domestic cricket. Over the last six months, we had conveyed (to those who are potential India caps) what the team will be looking at, in terms of skills, fitness, challenges etc. Once this tour concludes, it’ll be time to revisit those conversations,” Shastri added.

The head coach was also quick to point-out at the good work done by the bowlers in the series. He said, “(Yuzvendra) Chahal and (Kuldeep) Yadav have been brilliant and Boom (Jasprit Bumrah), what can I say about him. It’s been a fantastic effort. As I said, we’ll sit and go through all of this once we’re done here.

“The most important bit? Look at the middle-order. If we can work on that and improve, there’s no stopping this Indian team.”

http://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/we-are-far-from-ready-for-the-world-cup-says-ravi-shastri-1663721.html

2 minutes ago, diga said:

Manish Pandey deserved a chance in the middle order... not sure why not a single opportunity was given to him

because ind won the series only in the 5th match and iyer was preferred ahead of pandey. pandey should have played 6th match but kohli opted for virtually the same lineup.

My only complain against Kohli, how often is this middle order getting exposed ? Game 2 and 6 were perfect opportunities which we didnt utilize. 2nd ODI Jadav should have come at 3 followed by pandya. 6th ODI iyer or pandya should have come when rohit fell. 

Dhoni as a finisher is done, he may still win you few games but the Dhoni who would win unwinnable games is now gone. Everyone during commentary keeps commenting if he is in XI then bat him at 4, give him time to settle with power players bat around him. 

Edited by jf1gp_1
20 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

My only complain against Kohli, how often is this middle order getting exposed ? Game 2 and 6 were perfect opportunities which we didnt utilize. 2nd ODI Jadav should have come at 3 followed by pandya. 6th ODI iyer or pandya should have come when rohit fell. 

Dhoni as a finisher is done, he may still win you few games but the Dhoni who would win unwinnable games is now gone. Everyone during commentary keeps commenting if he is in XI then bat him at 4, give him time to settle with power players bat around him. 

No. Our problem is 5, 6, 7 and not 3. So no use jadhav coming in at 3. They need to get used to batting in those situations at those numbers when they have to just start hitting from get go. 

18 minutes ago, jj_28 said:

If we can sort out middle order before the WC then I will say we are ready for the WC. Hopefully they will continue to experiment and find that right combination in the middle order. 

We also need to fix our second fast bowler slot plus third fast bowler backup slot. Bhuvi is fading away.