Australia have made players like Dhoni and Pandey obsolete in T20s

cowboysfan

When I was watching Finch and Maxwell making a mockery of the target of 243 against NZ ,our t20 selections for this series was flashing in my mind. 

Dhoni/Pandey/Rahul/DK competing for the spot of no. 4 and 5. Do we really think our batsmen can bludgeon the opposition at 200/220+ SR if top 3 depart after 140/3 in 15 overs?

When Kohli departed we were 108/3, cruising at a run rate of 11 in 10th over. But we were huffing & puffing to reach even 200, making only 46 runs in last 5 overs.

Our top heavy approach have already cost us a few ICC trophies, covering the cracks of a brittle middle order. It's not something new, we are still trying to find a proper combo since the regression of Dhoni, Raina, Yuvi. 

Tbh I find more confidence in our bowling department in any format than our middle order, never thought I would say this about India's batting a few years back.

Manish Pandey plays Kohli kind of role. If he comes early to bat then he can score quickly. He started hitting boundaries after 15 balls. This doesn’t work when hr comes in 15th over in a t20 game.

If Kohli is not playing or we need an opener, I would give Pandey a chance, but he is not required at 3rd down in a t20 game. He is better suited to come in first 8 overs.