Legendary actor Sridevi passes away

wanted_desi

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

@velu was she a big Tamil star? And was she a Brahmin? I read somewhere that Brahmans find it difficult to break in the Tamil industry thanks to DK movement.

Iyengars more than Iyers did well in the film industry. It may be by choice. Meenakshi Seshadri, Hema Malini, Vijayanthi mala. Not sure if Rekha is an Iyer or Iyengar. Her dad is a famous actor Gemini Ganesan. mom from Andhra.   Iyers are little more conservative. Not sure if DK Played any role. Because one of the biggest movie directors was Balachander who was a Brahmin himself. Hemamalini auditioned for a Tamil movie. But eminent director Sridhar rejected her for some reason. Jayalalitha herself is a brahmin. Iyengar.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

@velu was she a big Tamil star? And was she a Brahmin? I read somewhere that Brahmans find it difficult to break in the Tamil industry thanks to DK movement.

she is not a brahmin .. she is half tamil and half telugu and i think she was a leading actress during rajni/kamal time 

i really dont think film industry discriminates based on caste .. ex leading actress trisha is a brahmin  and kamal as well

i feel tamil industrry is the only industry in which dalits over represent in the creative field 

13 hours ago, Ranvir said:

I loved Mr India as a kid.

I don’t think botox or plastic surgery can cause death unless it is an extreme amount and she didn’t look like that was the case.

Usually when actors or musicians die young it is the result of drugs.

She did. When you're among the elite in entertainment industry, the pressure to look attractive can be immense. Hema Malini, Rekha, Mukesh Ambani's wife too use a lot of stuff.

13 hours ago, Shy9 said:

Very Shocking for me when someone younger Dies than myself she was only 54.she was with her husband at the time of her death

Mr Anil Ambanis private Jet will brings her Body in Bombay India around 8 p to-night

You're 54+? Oldest ICFer? 

Edited by MechEng

5 minutes ago, MechEng said:

She did. When you're among the elite in entertainment industry, the pressure to look attractive can be immense. Hema Malini, Rekha, Mukesh Ambani's wife too use a lot of stuff.

How do you know that these women used a LOT of plastic surgery and are not naturally beautiful/ageing gracefully ?
Just because there is a 50 year old lady who looks better than most 30 year old girls doesn't mean she is plastic surgery up the ying-yang.

9 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

How do you know that these women used a LOT of plastic surgery and are not naturally beautiful/ageing gracefully ?
Just because there is a 50 year old lady who looks better than most 30 year old girls doesn't mean she is plastic surgery up the ying-yang.

Hema Malini might not be into that stuff, Rekha I'm skeptical about but I'm 100% sure about Nita Ambani, she looked like a perfectly middle aged woman in early 2000's but just google her recent pics.

P.S. : Either way whether they used or not, or whether the excessive cosmetics cause deaths or not one cannot deny that the pressure to look attractive is toxic high among elites of entertainment industry.

Edited by MechEng

5 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Hema Malini might not be into that stuff, Rekha I'm skeptical about but I'm 100% sure about Nita Ambani, she looked like a perfectly middle aged woman in early 2000's but just google her recent pics.

P.S. : Either way whether they used or not, or whether the excessive cosmetics cause deaths or not one cannot deny that the pressure to look attractive is toxic high among elites of entertainment industry.

Sure. The pressure to look attractive is high in any industry where your main marketing commodity is your looks. Whether its being a movie star, fashion model or even a prostitute, it doesn't matter.

Just like how the pressure to be 'extremely smart' is very high in an industry where your main marketing commodity is your brain....or pressure to be extremely fit is very high in an industry where the main marketing commodity is the fitness of an individual.

Comes with the territory.

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Sure. The pressure to look attractive is high in any industry where your main marketing commodity is your looks. Whether its being a movie star, fashion model or even a prostitute, it doesn't matter.

Just like how the pressure to be 'extremely smart' is very high in an industry where your main marketing commodity is your brain....or pressure to be extremely fit is very high in an industry where the main marketing commodity is the fitness of an individual.

Comes with the territory.

I'd judge an actor by their acting skills actually than looks, there is a reason why I enjoy going to plays, the actors in a play don't look like gods and goddesses but they definitely address to common problems in our day to day lives with good acting - what bollywood used to be in old days.

7 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I'd judge an actor by their acting skills actually than looks, there is a reason why I enjoy going to plays, the actors in a play don't look like gods and goddesses but they definitely address to common problems in our day to day lives with good acting - what bollywood used to be in old days.

err, all the old black and white bollywood stars were hot - especially the women. Ofcourse we today don't consider the 'Ashok Kumar' types to be hot masculine men, but if you ever talked to a grandma,they'd tell you how much hotter Ashok Kumar or Dileep Kumar were compared to hrithik Roshan 'who looks lumpy and not the right mix of well groomed, strong physique and sophistication'. 

And yes, while we'd all like to judge an actor by their skill or a sportsmen by their skill, reality is, looks matter in acting and fitness matters in sports..

4 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

err, all the old black and white bollywood stars were hot - especially the women. Ofcourse we today don't consider the 'Ashok Kumar' types to be hot masculine men, but if you ever talked to a grandma,they'd tell you how much hotter Ashok Kumar or Dileep Kumar were compared to hrithik Roshan 'who looks lumpy and not the right mix of well groomed, strong physique and sophistication'. 

And yes, while we'd all like to judge an actor by their skill or a sportsmen by their skill, reality is, looks matter in acting and fitness matters in sports..

They were good looking definitely but there was no pressure to look perfect. My grandfather knew Madhubala and he had also seen what movie stars in those days had for food during lunch breaks, rotis, daal and curries had loads of ghee in them, crash diets were an alien concept. The beauty was more natural. Today ageing gracefully is not encouraged, everyone wants to look young even if they have to do it artificially.

Sridevi did a lot on her self. Don't want to post pics on this thread.

Ultimately it is choice people make, hopefully with enough knowledge about the risks.

There are enough actresses who have aged naturally .

No judgements on anyone doing stuff to look a certain way ....but I do hope they know the risks involved when it becomes never ending. Wanting a certain nose, a certain body type , a certain shade of skin, a certain tautness to the skin...it is never ending.

Besides it is all speculation . It could be just genetics at work .

Edited by beetle

From her interviews, she comes out looking so so shy and camera averse. May be being a South Indian she used to find Hindi/Bombay culture intimidating. Still doesn't explain how she would transform herself into such a vivacious on screen presence in her Hindi movies?

Also surprising to see South Indian women doing so well in B'wood (Vyjanthimala, Waheeda Rahman, Jaya Prada, Rekha, Hema, Sridevi, Tabu, Balan, Rai, Deepika...) while the men have found it tougher, even stalwarts like Mohanlal, Kamal and Manmoothy. 

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

her 29th such operation was failure [ looks 40 at the age of 54] so she contacted south California [ m.Jackson 's doctor] doctor who gave her special tablet which can control everything needed for your body but has side effects too, your blood gets thiker

while she was in the bathroom,not enough Oxegen supply to her heart so she fall down and died within 17 minutes.

--- resources

regional newspaper 

Divyabhaskar

Gujarat

46 minutes ago, Shy9 said:

her 29th such operation was failure [ looks 40 at the age of 54] so she contacted south California [ m.Jackson 's doctor] doctor who gave her special tablet which can control everything needed for your body but has side effects too, your blood gets thiker

while she was in the bathroom,not enough Oxegen supply to her heart so she fall down and died within 17 minutes.

--- resources

regional newspaper 

Divyabhaskar

Gujarat

Sounds like Enquirer type gossip. Wouldn't be surprised if she actually had like 4-5 surgeries but got rag-paper gossiped like hollywood celebrities sometimes do. 

Thicker blood reduces oxygen supply to heart enough for her to die - i smell BS. Blood thick enough to stop pulmonary artery should be like the carpet-bombing version of strokes everywhere in the body , but hey i am not a doctor. 

Just doesn't sound right and sounds like something 'star-tracker' reporters (papparazi types) would like to cash in on at this time. 

5 hours ago, MechEng said:

They were good looking definitely but there was no pressure to look perfect. My grandfather knew Madhubala and he had also seen what movie stars in those days had for food during lunch breaks, rotis, daal and curries had loads of ghee in them, crash diets were an alien concept. The beauty was more natural. Today ageing gracefully is not encouraged, everyone wants to look young even if they have to do it artificially.

We can't compare because most of the options available were not there that time.

Besides the social media puts an enormous pressure on celebrities to be perfect all the time . The kind of public scrutiny they face regarding their looks now is insane . They can't take a flight without their airport look being put all over the media. They can't go to the gym or doctor without it coming in the papers the next day.

Madhubala never had to worry about her being on everyone's screen everyday.

Besides the beautiful lady died young ,never having to bother about pressures of growing old in that industry.