Morne Morkel announces retirement from all forms of cricket after test series against Aussies.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Proteas/morne-morkel-drops-retirement-bombshell-20180226

Cape Town - Proteas fast bowler Morne Morkel has announced he will retire from all forms of international cricket at the conclusion of the four-match Test series against Australia starting in Durban on Thursday. 

The 33-year-old has played 83 Tests, 117 One-Day Internationals and 44 T20 Internationals in a successful career spanning 12 years. He has taken 294 Test wickets - including seven five-fors - and is currently the fifth highest all-time wicket-taker for South Africa in Test matches. He has an impressive tally of 529 wickets across the three formats. 

Explaining his decision, Morkel said: “It was an extremely tough decision but I feel the time is right to start a new chapter. I have a young family and a foreign wife, and the current demanding international schedule has put a lot of strain us. I have to put them first and this decision will only benefit us going forward. 

“I have loved every minute that I have played in the Proteas jersey, and I am incredibly grateful to my team mates, Cricket South Africa, and my family and friends for the support over the years. I still feel there is a lot of cricket left in me and I am excited for what lies ahead. For now, all of my energy and focus is on helping the Proteas win the upcoming series against Australia.”

Cricket South Africa’s acting CEO, Thabang Moroe, praised Morkel’s commitment and contribution towards South African cricket: “On behalf of Cricket South Africa, I would like to thank Morne for the tremendous and highly valued contribution he has made to South African cricket over the past decade. 

“He has been a regular selection for both the Standard Bank Proteas Test and ODI squads since 2008, having made his debut as far back as 2006. He has formed part of the golden era of fast bowlers that have made the South African Test team a champion outfit that is respected throughout the world.

“Being a champion fast bowler is one of the most difficult professions in the sporting world. It requires tremendous skill, dedication and perseverance and, by no means the least, the courage to bowl through the pain barrier at times. Those are characteristics Morne has shown throughout his career.

“Lastly, on behalf of the South African cricket family, our stakeholders and fans around the world, we thank Morne for being both a fine player and an outstanding role model who has made our country proud. We wish him everything of the best in his future endeavours.”  

Morne-Morkel.jpg

Morne has always been a very good bowler & a perfect partner for Steyn. Among the very few in this generation capable of taking wickets anywhere irrespective of conditions.
I was reading an interview of his father, where he was hinting at the possibility of Morne choosing a Kolpak deal & expressing his displeasure at Albie not selected for the t20 side. Now after his retirement, Morne can play for any county side & lucrative t20 leagues.
Things look bleak for Proteas test team. Ngidi has just come into the side, Rabada is still young & Steyn at 34 is in & out of the team coz of his injuries. That leaves only Philander.

Edited by Turning_track

has served his country well. Close to 34 years old with major injuries around the corner. I think he will aim to look for a county stint for family purposes and hope for a decent IPL deal to supplement his income.

South africa have strong young talent coming through in the pace department. So there is adequate cover.

Lots of change on the horizon for SA cricket. Expect Steyn, AB to join the retirement list.

It's not about just Kolpak deals and T20 contracts. With a young family, a foreign wife etc., I think he might also be yearning for a more settled life, touring domestically rather than all over the world (although given the choice between South Africa, England and Australia, I think his country of origin might not be first choice as far as raising a young son is concerned ...

Also, different people are affected differently by long away tours. Remember someone like Marcus Trescothick, who, despite being supremely gifted, suffered from homesickness when touring away, which spiralled into full-blown depression at one point. The family angle should not be neglected ...

Edited by abc
4 hours ago, abc said:

It's not about just Kolpak deals and T20 contracts. With a young family, a foreign wife etc., I think he might also be yearning for a more settled life, touring domestically rather than all over the world (although given the choice between South Africa, England and Australia, I think his country of origin might not be first choice as far as raising a young son is concerned ...

Also, different people are affected differently by long away tours. Remember someone like Marcus Trescothick, who, despite being supremely gifted, suffered from homesickness when touring away, which spiralled into full-blown depression at one point. The family angle should not be neglected ...

Bowlers, especially pace bowlers have to look out for their future.  Their careers are shorter than those for batsmen.  They put their bodies on the line all the time.  If Morkel keeps playing test cricket, that probably shortens his overall career by a season or 2.  That's a few hundred thousand dollars lost in potential earnings.  He had already made his position public - If they weren't going to play him in the 2019 WC, then he wasn't going to keep running in and doing the hard yards for SA.   Given the emergence of Rabada, Ngidi, Phelukwayo etc, the quota pressures, and the need to lengthen the batting lineup in ODIs, it probably isn't possible for CSA to guarantee a WC slot to Morkel.  

On 2/27/2018 at 10:05 AM, Nikhil_cric said:

Gentle giant. Will never forget how he bounced Johnson when MJ was red hot and the torrid time he gave to Michael Clarke and battered him with short stuff. Was hoping I'd see him until the next World Cup as he's their best ODI bowler but maybe SA are increasing their quotas. 

it's not that they are increasing them per se, but more about enforcing them strictly.