Long term ONLY India will dominate cricket

narenpande1

I think we have got our act together with the money and professionalism deep in domestic systems as well. IPL has been a huge blessing ( though not all positive )

With the huge resources and money at our disposal - we’ve got to be seriously talent deficient now not to only go UP from here. 

I think we may or may not be as dominating as perhaps Aussies or Windies great teams - but we will still be NO1 for ever now - 

its just that the resources that we have at our disposal are overwhelmingly in our favor.

Its just like the Chinese in table tennis

agree ?

Edited by narenpande1

It would have been amazing thing if Cricket was a widely popular sport if not like soccer but something like that with 30-40 pretty competent teams. (May be field hockey has that popularity I am talking about) Then the domination of India would have been tremendous thing to boost up India in the world scene. But cricket hardly has 10-12 competent teams and some of even these are on the wane. It is like I am great among some non-interested colleagues. Ok, so what?

My colleague (an African national and a huge soccer fan) laughs when I talk about cricket world cup. Is Cricket played by that many countries that its "global" tournament is called a world cup. :phehe:

16 hours ago, narenpande1 said:

I think we have got our act together with the money and professionalism deep in domestic systems as well. IPL has been a huge blessing ( though not all positive )

With the huge resources and money at our disposal - we’ve got to be seriously talent deficient now not to only go UP from here. 

I think we may or may not be as dominating as perhaps Aussies or Windies great teams - but we will still be NO1 for ever now - 

its just that the resources that we have at our disposal are overwhelmingly in our favor.

Its just like the Chinese in table tennis

agree ?

West Indies and Australia are thought as great teams because they dominated Test cricket for many years. India won't do that as they are can't win outside Asia. 

Even if we do that one day that will be more because of declining cricket standards and loss of interest among non desi population of Aus/Eng/NZ/SA/WI than because of our merit. That is a big if, so I will stick out my neck and say we will be first among equals for a significant period of time rather than a dominant no 1.

3 hours ago, sarcastic said:

It would have been amazing thing if Cricket was a widely popular sport if not like soccer but something like that with 30-40 pretty competent teams. (May be field hockey has that popularity I am talking about) Then the domination of India would have been tremendous thing to boost up India in the world scene. But cricket hardly has 10-12 competent teams and some of even these are on the wane. It is like I am great among some non-interested colleagues. Ok, so what?

My colleague (an African national and a huge soccer fan) laughs when I talk about cricket world cup. Is Cricket played by that many countries that its "global" tournament is called a world cup. :phehe:

Tell him its better to dominate a sport of 10-12 nations rather than playing a sport where you are non entity

BTW only a fraction of population of world plays tennis as it is rich man's game but still it does not take away how great Federer is

Except for Aus/Eng and NZ to a degree the quality of cricketers is going down. Only Ind and BD are growing, besides Afg which is starting at a very low base and will hit ceiling around current pakistan. SL WI SA are in freefall. Ireland showed promise but now nothing, Zim/Kenya are history. so its just the southasian/Carib 11's from US/Canada/HK/UAE left who do not interest me at all.

11 hours ago, sarcastic said:

it is the second most popular sport, and widely played. He can suck his thumb on that, which african country is he from....wait it does not matter which one...his football team sucks and are irrelevant at world level...India owns cricket.

Doesn't have to be just Europe and North America. Cricket could try to expand in both West and East Asian countries. The biggest problem with all these associate teams like USA, Canada, UAE, Oman, Hong Kong and many others is that they're made up almost completely of expatriate players. They seriously need to put a ban on people of origins from cricket-playing nations. They need to find locals and push them, even if they're substandard compared to the expatriates. Only their stories are going to inspire more people from their country to take up the game. We need UAE and Oman to have Arab players, Hong Kong to have local Chinese players etc. Having Indians and Pakistanis playing for those countries' national teams isn't helping anyone.