Irfan pathan Recent interview. What a sympathy seeker

• IT IS a scene straight out of a rancorous reality show. The setting though is the Indian dressing-room sometime in 2006. A senior member has Irfan Pathan by his throat. He demands to know from the captain and coach why it’s this youngster from Baroda and not him that’s being promoted up to No.3 in ODIs. “Isko kyun? Mujhe bhejo” he shouts while not letting go of the chokehold on a startled Irfan.
  • “Sachin (Tendulkar) paji would say I’ve never seen a swing bowler like you. (VVS) Laxman bhai would say facing you in the nets for me means apne ghutne sambhalna (protecting my knees). I once inadvertently shut the door in Canberra without noticing that Steve Waugh was right behind me. When I then held it open and said ‘sorry for the trouble’ he replied ‘you’ve troubled me enough on the field, stop troubling me here’ and laughed,” as Irfan recalls. That’s not all. If Imran Khanwasn’t insisting Irfan was “wiser” than Wasim Akram at his age, Javed Miandad was retracting statements made to quell Irfan’s burgeoning aura.
  • Within the team, he’d become the go-to man, be it batting or bowling. To the extent that his ever-increasing importance was making some of his established teammates insecure. The hand around his neck that day was just an extreme testament to that.

If he was the blue-eyed boy in the dressing-room, outside it he was the ultimate heartthrob. Everyone wanted a piece of Irfan Pathan. The female attention would reach such levels that Irfan admits to feeling concerned about those who suddenly found themselves in his shadow. And then on one occasion, the same teammate who’d held his throat, tried in vain to rudely bring Irfan back to earth.

“Why do you get so much attention? Tuh toh itna badsoorat hai (You are so ugly),” he’s learnt to have said before walking away in disgust. Irfan laments now about not having been the best at handling the egos around him back then. To his credit though, he never let the occasional bad blood affect his impact on the field.

Link - http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/irfan-pathan-india-cricket-hardik-pandya-baroda-5076961/

Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:
  • IT IS a scene straight out of a rancorous reality show. The setting though is the Indian dressing-room sometime in 2006. A senior member has Irfan Pathan by his throat. He demands to know from the captain and coach why it’s this youngster from Baroda and not him that’s being promoted up to No.3 in ODIs. “Isko kyun? Mujhe bhejo” he shouts while not letting go of the chokehold on a startled Irfan.

The only 2 senior in middle order were dravid n yuvraj

Dravid was the captain and he is the last guy ull expect to do such thing

Yuvraj - well he was knwn to be a bully but again i dnt expect him to hold someone by throat 

• “Sachin (Tendulkar) paji would say I’ve never seen a swing bowler like you. (VVS) Laxman bhai would say facing you in the nets for me means apne ghutne sambhalna (protecting my knees). I once inadvertently shut the door in Canberra without noticing that Steve Waugh was right behind me. When I then held it open and said ‘sorry for the trouble’ he replied ‘you’ve troubled me enough on the field, stop troubling me here’ and laughed,” as Irfan recalls. That’s not all. If Imran Khanwasn’t insisting Irfan was “wiser” than Wasim Akram at his age, Javed Miandad was retracting statements made to quell Irfan’s burgeoning aura.

Steve waugh wudnt have said that to an opposition bowler in his playing days, those aussies didnt let opposition know how much they respected them. I dnt remeber irfan troubling him that much also 

• Within the team, he’d become the go-to man, be it batting or bowling. To the extent that his ever-increasing importance was making some of his established teammates insecure. The hand around his neck that day was just an extreme testament to that.

If he was the blue-eyed boy in the dressing-room, outside it he was the ultimate heartthrob. Everyone wanted a piece of Irfan Pathan. The female attention would reach such levels that Irfan admits to feeling concerned about those who suddenly found themselves in his shadow. And then on one occasion, the same teammate who’d held his throat, tried in vain to rudely bring Irfan back to earth.

“Why do you get so much attention? Tuh toh itna badsoorat hai (You are so ugly),” he’s learnt to have said before walking away in disgust. Irfan laments now about not having been the best at handling the egos around him back then. To his credit though, he never let the occasional bad blood affect his impact on the field

Yuvraj was already popular among ladies

dnt expect that from sachin, dravid, kumble, ganguly

Zak or bhajji- is he pointing at them. He did become spearhead of indian bowling and pushed zaheer on bench but this sounds to much

What is this indian dressing room or pakistan dressing room 

21 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

The only 2 senior in middle order were dravid n yuvraj

Dravid was the captain and he is the last guy ull expect to do such thing

Yuvraj - well he was knwn to be a bully but again i dnt expect him to hold someone by throat 

Steve waugh wudnt have said that to an opposition bowler in his playing days, those aussies didnt let opposition know how much they respected them. I dnt remeber irfan troubling him that much also 

Yuvraj was already popular among ladies

dnt expect that from sachin, dravid, kumble, ganguly

Zak or bhajji- is he pointing at them. He did become spearhead of indian bowling and pushed zaheer on bench but this sounds to much

What is this indian dressing room or pakistan dressing room 

Neither Zak or Bhajji would want to bat at 3. If at all this is true then its most likely Yuvraj.

7 minutes ago, SandeepMotta said:

Neither Zak or Bhajji would want to bat at 3. If at all this is true then its most likely Yuvraj.

zak n bhajji was under when he was called badsoorat

I knw they are not batsman 

Again its seems like a madeup story after watching shoaibh akthar interview who has told same stories. But i expect that in pakistan dressing room not indian. 

3 minutes ago, saik said:

According to the article the person who held his throat and gave the "badsoorat" comment are one and the same. Must have been either Yuvaraj or Bhajji. Bhajji might have wanted to be a pinch hitter.

yuvraj was always popular n knw to be a hearthrobe, so why wud he have a problem

zak n bhajji was under when he was called badsoorat

I knw they are not batsman 

Again its seems like a madeup story after watching shoaibh akthar interview who has told same stories. But i expect that in pakistan dressing room not indian. 

yuvraj was always popular n knw to be a hearthrobe, so why wud he have a problem

He clearly said it was the same player who held him by his throat that said this too.

Just now, SandeepMotta said:

He clearly said it was the same player who held him by his throat that said this too.

this story is crap...........after every few months he comes up with some story. I remember a story few months ago to. HE just cant handle not being a star anymore , he has no one else to blame himself but he cant accept that

Take of your communally tainted glasses OP, Irfan has won a few games n was a decent bat n bowler, his problem stemmed from allrounder tag n injuries n was too eagee to learn n took too much advice n some miss guidance n lost his bowling rhythm n pace.I have not seen him being controversial n he was loved by his team mates , about this article i dont know is it possible yes but cant be sure, i wish he had someone like Ganguly as captain n he wouldve blossomed.

2 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

Take of your communally tainted glasses OP, Irfan has won a few games n was a decent bat n bowler, his problem stemmed from allrounder tag n injuries n was too eagee to learn n took too much advice n some miss guidance n lost his bowling rhythm n pace.I have not seen him being controversial n he was loved by his team mates , about this article i dont know is it possible yes but cant be sure, i wish he had someone like Ganguly as captain n he wouldve blossomed.

he debut under kohli n played under him for 1-2 yrs. 

Also the WTH u mean by communally tainted glasses????

Why are people so readily not believing what he said? This was all under Greg Chappell when half of the dressing room didn't liked playing under him.

Could be Yuvi/Harbhajan. Another wild card is Agarkar who I know from someone who's been associated with Indian team is bit of asshole. 

Regardless, he's one of the biggest what ifs in Indian history, he was an excellent bowler and a good batsmen at his peak. Injuries didn't help his cause. Also the fact is that if he had debuted this current setup of Kohli/Shastri, then his talent would've been fully utilized.

1 minute ago, Unleashed said:

Why are people so readily not believing what he said? This was all under Greg Chappell when half of the dressing room didn't liked playing under him.

The reason m not ready to beilve is coz now its becoming a habbit of irfan.....

Few yrs ago every few mnths he wud give an interview that soon ill come back in team and the frequency of those interviews were more then anyone. 

Now in recent times when he knws he cant come back, it has become blame game interviews. Either its him telling he went through injuries, then lack of suppourt from team, association problem, now bullying. 

Its like that story we heard as kid " sher aaya, sher aaya " 

Could be Yuvi/Harbhajan. Another wild card is Agarkar who I know from someone who's been associated with Indian team is bit of asshole. 

Look i understand bhajji had a history with sreesanth and can be doubted

But yuvraj holding someone collar , m not ready to buy that 

Also their were murmurs of dhoni getting bullied by yuvi n bhajji in his early days but he didnt make a fuzz about it and dhoni stardom was way bigger then irfan pathan 

But my point is had it come from someone less of an attention seeker like irfan u still wud hear it. Irfan has been on spree of excuse making. 

Regardless, he's one of the biggest what ifs in Indian history, he was an excellent bowler and a good batsmen at his peak. Injuries didn't help his cause. Also the fact is that if he had debuted this current setup of Kohli/Shastri, then his talent would've been fully utilized.

M not doubting his body of work

M just pointing out to his attention seeking habbit, stardom got to his head and now he misses it and seeks it

People always complain stardom gettting in head of pandya, no wrong example. Pathan is the xample. Till how long will he put it on others. 

not sure why people bringing up bhajji.  He's batted in the top 6 in just 3 innings and never above #4.

2 of those instances were in 2001/2002 and the other in 2009. thus completely out of the timeframe and picture.

Edited by PBN
21 minutes ago, Naila Makhdoom said:

He even sacrificed his bowling to become an all rounder and pinch hitter at top for the sake of the team.

Please dont call lack of hardwork  sacrifice. 

21 minutes ago, Naila Makhdoom said:

So much hate for this guy is it because he is Muslim?? Same thing happened to Waseem Jaffer, Muhammad Kaif. Why didnt all of them got as many chances as Rohit Sharma, Raina etc

Please play this victim card somewere else, this is a place for proper discussion 

We discuss cricketer not their religion

Many here love Zaheer khan n shami more then Rohit sharma, Raina  including me 

Jaffer n kaif were very limited players and hence they vanished. 

IF u have to utter such crap, i suggest u find a local frige group who like u have nothing to do hence they blame it on world by feeling as victims 

32 minutes ago, Naila Makhdoom said:

Irfan Pathan was a star under Greg Chappel for India and brought so many victories for them especially in ODIs. He even sacrificed his bowling to become an all rounder and pinch hitter at top for the sake of the team. So much hate for this guy is it because he is Muslim?? Same thing happened to Waseem Jaffer, Muhammad Kaif. Why didnt all of them got as many chances as Rohit Sharma, Raina etc

Why bring religion into it?

He was a hero when he was doing well and faded away when he got injured and lost his bite.

Waseem jafer could not capitalize on his chances and kaif got more fame than his potential .

Don't play the religion card. It is disrespectful to him too. He did not get into the team because of his relgion, he got the place because he was good at that time. 

Wasim Akram was willing to help him but I think intial success got on his head.Once in commentry i heard someone asked Akram that is he still in touch with Irfan and he said he has not spoken to him for 2-3 years.Gavaskar at that time was with him and he said Young boys always have to remember that legends will not come to teach them they have to go after them to ask for coaching