"Wish Dhoni Was In My 2003 World Cup Team" - Writes Sourav Ganguly

velu

Former India captain Sourav Ganguly is known to be one of the greatest captains that India have produced. While writing his autobiography 'A Century is Not Enough', Ganguly made a lot of revelations on his playing days, one of which was his assessment on another India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni.Dhoni made his debut for India when Ganguly was the captain and the 45-year-old was instrumental in shaping his career from a wicket-keeper to a recognised top-order batsman. In one such instance, Ganguly had promoted Dhoni to number 3 which saw the man from Ranchi come into his own and from then on there was no looking back for Dhoni.

"I had over the years constantly looked out for players who remain steady under pressure and possess the capability to change the course of the match. Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who came to my notice in 2004, was a natural progression of this thought. I was impressed with MS Dhoni from day one," Ganguly wrote in his autobiography.

"I wish I'd Dhoni in my 2003 World Cup team. I was told that when we were playing the 2003 World Cup final he was still a ticket collector with Indian Railways. Unbelievable!" added the former India skipper.

ms-dhoni-sourav-ganguly-afp_806x605_4151

"Today I am happy that my assessment was proven right. It is amazing how he broke through the ranks to become what he is today," added Ganguly.

Ganguly played his last international match for India in November 2008. The former India captain's final outing was the 4th Test against Australia in Nagpur. As the match drew to a close, Dhoni asked Dada to lead the side for one final time, as the Indian cricket fans bid goodbye to an iconic batsman and captain.

India also became the No 1 Test side under Dhoni's leadership.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/wish-i-had-ms-dhoni-in-my-2003-world-cup-squad-says-sourav-ganguly-1818442

dont worry dada , mahi bhai will compensate his 2003 absense with his presense in 2019 and 2023 WC  :phehe: 

Dont think even with Dhoni we had any chance to win the 2003 WC final...360 was impossible to chase those days. I wish we had clutch players like Dhoni or Kohli to support Sachin in 96 WC though. We could have won that Semi final at Eden gardens but no one was there to support Sachin. That WC was ours and what a feeling it would have been to lift the trophy in Lahore.

12 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Dont think even with Dhoni we had any chance to win the 2003 WC final...360 was impossible to chase those days. I wish we had clutch players like Dhoni or Kohli to support Sachin in 96 WC though. We could have won that Semi final at Eden gardens but no one was there to support Sachin. That WC was ours and what a feeling it would have been to lift the trophy in Lahore.

That was pretty stupid to field first. But having said that Dhoni was the architect of INdia becoming a gun chasing side for years to come.  Anyway just to stir controversy is he taking a dig at Rahul Dravid? :)

That was one of the flattest wicket you could hope to see. Small ground. Balls were flying. India was scared of facing inform Brett Lee being afraid of collapse.  ONe reason was in the early encounter with Australia, Brett Lee triggered a top order collapse and India rolled over for 125 runs. And also GIllespie continued and triggered a middle order collapse.  It was very unusual to field first in 2003 unlike these days. Even now scoreboard pressure will kill you. India's only chance was to have a slow spin pitch and roll them over.  ON a seamer's paradise India would not have answer against Lee, Mcgrath, Gillespie. Who is going to order slow pitch in SA for WC final. 

29 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

That was one of the flattest wicket you could hope to see. Small ground. Balls were flying. India was scared of facing inform Brett Lee being afraid of collapse.  ONe reason was in the early encounter with Australia, Brett Lee triggered a top order collapse and India rolled over for 125 runs. And also GIllespie continued and triggered a middle order collapse.  It was very unusual to field first in 2003 unlike these days. Even now scoreboard pressure will kill you. India's only chance was to have a slow spin pitch and roll them over.  ON a seamer's paradise India would not have answer against Lee, Mcgrath, Gillespie. Who is going to order slow pitch in SA for WC final. 

It was actually a seamer friendly track with last night's rain making the pitch wettish and considering the epic chase of 275 in 45 overs against Wasim-Waqar-Shoaib, Dada must have thought we played best while chasing.

I have to say in that final I saw some of the most breathtaking six hitting I had ever seen in any cricket game even from today's perspective. Ponting was an active golf player when not playing cricket and you could see his golf skills in those sixes he hit with that sort of bat speed. He made 50 off 74 balls with just 1 four and the remaining 90 runs came off 47 balls with 8 big sixes and 3 fours, perfect way to build an ODI innings. That last six he hit off Srinath in 50th over was easily 110 metres big or more.

3 minutes ago, MechEng said:

It was actually a seamer friendly track with last night's rain making the pitch wettish and considering the epic chase of 275 in 45 overs against Wasim-Waqar-Shoaib, Dada must have thought we played best while chasing.

I have to say in that final I saw some of the most breathtaking six hitting I had ever seen in any cricket game even from today's perspective. Ponting was an active golf player when not playing cricket and you could see his golf skills in those sixes he hit with that sort of bat speed. He made 50 off 74 balls with just 1 four and the remaining 90 runs came off 47 balls with 8 big sixes and 3 fours, perfect way to build an ODI innings. That last six he hit off Srinath in 50th over was easily 110 metres big or more.

On that day track was a batting beauty.  India with their 7 batsmen backed themselves to chase a total like 280 or so. They did not expect the blitz by Punter/Martyn. In hindsight they could have played KUmble.

47 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

On that day track was a batting beauty.  India with their 7 batsmen backed themselves to chase a total like 280 or so. They did not expect the blitz by Punter/Martyn. In hindsight they could have played KUmble.

No man initial overs had some swing. India was too defensive that day just like 2017 champions trophy final. 

Edited by gattaca
7 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Zak was nervous and India lost plot in first few overs only.

Anyway, having Dhoni in 2003 team would not have solved any problem.

That was ATG australian team. We were no match. People got pissed off because we were outclassed completely in our both the outings against them. As a rule think twice and eventually you bat first in the final. SL beating them in the final was an exception. Subcontinent conditions where you can neutralize their seamers and restrict them with spinners. Anywhere else it is too risky fielding first. 

8 minutes ago, Number said:

He was there in 2007 that too at his peak. Utter failure in ICC tourneys bar one innings.

True. In 2003 chasing 300 was not really an easy task even in the bilaterals. It was 360 against the world's best side. Probably Gibbs team that chased 434 could do. But in world cup final definitely no. If Yuvraj, Dhoni, Kohli all 3 in peak form India will have a chance to chase down.

48 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

He was arrogant when it comes to batting. He used to play too many risky shots against better bowlers. 

I still cant get over that shot. A sportsman of his stature had no business taking that shot.