Sign in to follow this  
velu

"Wish Dhoni Was In My 2003 World Cup Team" - Writes Sourav Ganguly

Former India captain Sourav Ganguly is known to be one of the greatest captains that India have produced. While writing his autobiography 'A Century is Not Enough', Ganguly made a lot of revelations on his playing days, one of which was his assessment on another India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni.Dhoni made his debut for India when Ganguly was the captain and the 45-year-old was instrumental in shaping his career from a wicket-keeper to a recognised top-order batsman. In one such instance, Ganguly had promoted Dhoni to number 3 which saw the man from Ranchi come into his own and from then on there was no looking back for Dhoni.

"I had over the years constantly looked out for players who remain steady under pressure and possess the capability to change the course of the match. Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who came to my notice in 2004, was a natural progression of this thought. I was impressed with MS Dhoni from day one," Ganguly wrote in his autobiography.

"I wish I'd Dhoni in my 2003 World Cup team. I was told that when we were playing the 2003 World Cup final he was still a ticket collector with Indian Railways. Unbelievable!" added the former India skipper.

ms-dhoni-sourav-ganguly-afp_806x605_4151

"Today I am happy that my assessment was proven right. It is amazing how he broke through the ranks to become what he is today," added Ganguly.

Ganguly played his last international match for India in November 2008. The former India captain's final outing was the 4th Test against Australia in Nagpur. As the match drew to a close, Dhoni asked Dada to lead the side for one final time, as the Indian cricket fans bid goodbye to an iconic batsman and captain.

India also became the No 1 Test side under Dhoni's leadership.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/wish-i-had-ms-dhoni-in-my-2003-world-cup-squad-says-sourav-ganguly-1818442

dont worry dada , mahi bhai will compensate his 2003 absense with his presense in 2019 and 2023 WC  :phehe: 

Dont think even with Dhoni we had any chance to win the 2003 WC final...360 was impossible to chase those days. I wish we had clutch players like Dhoni or Kohli to support Sachin in 96 WC though. We could have won that Semi final at Eden gardens but no one was there to support Sachin. That WC was ours and what a feeling it would have been to lift the trophy in Lahore.

12 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Dont think even with Dhoni we had any chance to win the 2003 WC final...360 was impossible to chase those days. I wish we had clutch players like Dhoni or Kohli to support Sachin in 96 WC though. We could have won that Semi final at Eden gardens but no one was there to support Sachin. That WC was ours and what a feeling it would have been to lift the trophy in Lahore.

That was pretty stupid to field first. But having said that Dhoni was the architect of INdia becoming a gun chasing side for years to come.  Anyway just to stir controversy is he taking a dig at Rahul Dravid? :)

That was one of the flattest wicket you could hope to see. Small ground. Balls were flying. India was scared of facing inform Brett Lee being afraid of collapse.  ONe reason was in the early encounter with Australia, Brett Lee triggered a top order collapse and India rolled over for 125 runs. And also GIllespie continued and triggered a middle order collapse.  It was very unusual to field first in 2003 unlike these days. Even now scoreboard pressure will kill you. India's only chance was to have a slow spin pitch and roll them over.  ON a seamer's paradise India would not have answer against Lee, Mcgrath, Gillespie. Who is going to order slow pitch in SA for WC final. 

29 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

That was one of the flattest wicket you could hope to see. Small ground. Balls were flying. India was scared of facing inform Brett Lee being afraid of collapse.  ONe reason was in the early encounter with Australia, Brett Lee triggered a top order collapse and India rolled over for 125 runs. And also GIllespie continued and triggered a middle order collapse.  It was very unusual to field first in 2003 unlike these days. Even now scoreboard pressure will kill you. India's only chance was to have a slow spin pitch and roll them over.  ON a seamer's paradise India would not have answer against Lee, Mcgrath, Gillespie. Who is going to order slow pitch in SA for WC final. 

It was actually a seamer friendly track with last night's rain making the pitch wettish and considering the epic chase of 275 in 45 overs against Wasim-Waqar-Shoaib, Dada must have thought we played best while chasing.

I have to say in that final I saw some of the most breathtaking six hitting I had ever seen in any cricket game even from today's perspective. Ponting was an active golf player when not playing cricket and you could see his golf skills in those sixes he hit with that sort of bat speed. He made 50 off 74 balls with just 1 four and the remaining 90 runs came off 47 balls with 8 big sixes and 3 fours, perfect way to build an ODI innings. That last six he hit off Srinath in 50th over was easily 110 metres big or more.

3 minutes ago, MechEng said:

It was actually a seamer friendly track with last night's rain making the pitch wettish and considering the epic chase of 275 in 45 overs against Wasim-Waqar-Shoaib, Dada must have thought we played best while chasing.

I have to say in that final I saw some of the most breathtaking six hitting I had ever seen in any cricket game even from today's perspective. Ponting was an active golf player when not playing cricket and you could see his golf skills in those sixes he hit with that sort of bat speed. He made 50 off 74 balls with just 1 four and the remaining 90 runs came off 47 balls with 8 big sixes and 3 fours, perfect way to build an ODI innings. That last six he hit off Srinath in 50th over was easily 110 metres big or more.

On that day track was a batting beauty.  India with their 7 batsmen backed themselves to chase a total like 280 or so. They did not expect the blitz by Punter/Martyn. In hindsight they could have played KUmble.

That final was lost becaus eof Ganguly and Ganguly only. There was no need to play three pacers in that game. Should have played Kumble to create mismatch but the backword thinking was the problem.

47 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

On that day track was a batting beauty.  India with their 7 batsmen backed themselves to chase a total like 280 or so. They did not expect the blitz by Punter/Martyn. In hindsight they could have played KUmble.

No man initial overs had some swing. India was too defensive that day just like 2017 champions trophy final. 

Edited by gattaca

1 hour ago, Khota said:

Sachin was the most senior batsman and the shot he played to get out was the one he should have never played. He played scared.

He was arrogant when it comes to batting. He used to play too many risky shots against better bowlers. 

7 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Zak was nervous and India lost plot in first few overs only.

Anyway, having Dhoni in 2003 team would not have solved any problem.

That was ATG australian team. We were no match. People got pissed off because we were outclassed completely in our both the outings against them. As a rule think twice and eventually you bat first in the final. SL beating them in the final was an exception. Subcontinent conditions where you can neutralize their seamers and restrict them with spinners. Anywhere else it is too risky fielding first. 

8 minutes ago, Number said:

He was there in 2007 that too at his peak. Utter failure in ICC tourneys bar one innings.

True. In 2003 chasing 300 was not really an easy task even in the bilaterals. It was 360 against the world's best side. Probably Gibbs team that chased 434 could do. But in world cup final definitely no. If Yuvraj, Dhoni, Kohli all 3 in peak form India will have a chance to chase down.

48 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

He was arrogant when it comes to batting. He used to play too many risky shots against better bowlers. 

I still cant get over that shot. A sportsman of his stature had no business taking that shot.

Only way we would have had a chance to win that day was by batting first ,getting to 280 odd (which we may have actually ) and then having a bowler like bumrah and a mystery leggy like kuly who they never faced. 

That Australian side was full of match winners and mentally strong ,no chance of beating them tbh 

8 hours ago, Khota said:

That final was lost becaus eof Ganguly and Ganguly only. There was no need to play three pacers in that game. Should have played Kumble to create mismatch but the backword thinking was the problem.

Ganguly was over relying on pacers , despite picking two wiclets even Bhajji did not finished his quota which was very surprising

Edited by Singh bling

Zak was nervous and India lost plot in first few overs only.

Anyway, having Dhoni in 2003 team would not have solved any problem.
Yeah, Zak was clearly overwhelmed by the occasion. I can never forget the pounding we received that day.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

To think that he was still a ticket collector during 2003 WC is amazing man. People can say whatever they want but to come from such a modest background without any backing and went onto become one of the greatest cricketers is a fairy-tale story. Immense respect for the man. Dont think in current era of nepotism, we will see such rags to riches players again. 

In fact, Nepotism was more at that time than it is now.

12 hours ago, MechEng said:

that was Wanderers, so, no surprise dby six. that high altitude, easier to hit six than a four there.

"I wish I'd Imran Khan in my 1999 World Cup team." - Wasim Akram :hysterical: 

"I wish I'd Arjuna in my 2007 World Cup team." - Mahela Jayawardane :hysterical: 

"I wish I'd Arjuna in my 2011 World Cup team." - Kumar Sangakkara :hysterical: 

"I wish I'd Stephen Fleming in my 2015 World Cup team." - Brendon Mcculllam :hysterical: 

People have many more excuses and anticipations after losing :giggle:

Edited by Lala

17 hours ago, rkt.india said:

that was Wanderers, so, no surprise dby six. that high altitude, easier to hit six than a four there.

Bur Perth happens to be one of the pitches very close to sea level height and yet very bouncy. Are you sure altitude plays a role in batting shots? 

12 hours ago, Khota said:

That WC final was an embarassment. Seniors provided zero leadership and showed no fight. It is OK to lose but to lose the way they did was unexcusable. No shame.

It wasn't an embarassment actually, yes we bowled terrible but no one expected Ponting to play that kind of innings. Usually one would expect a batsman to play a carefully crafted innings in pressure game like final but the way he accelerated after scoring his 50 was once in a generation stuff.

41 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Bur Perth happens to be one of the pitches very close to sea level height and yet very bouncy. Are you sure altitude plays a role in batting shots? 

what has bounce to do with sixes or high altitude? On high altitude, ball flies far in the air. Same is the case at Chinnaswamy and Dharmshala. Lot of sixes are hit at those places.

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

It wasn't an embarassment actually, yes we bowled terrible but no one expected Ponting to play that kind of innings. Usually one would expect a batsman to play a carefully crafted innings in pressure game like final but the way he accelerated after scoring his 50 was once in a generation stuff.

that aussie team never thought like that .....

safe approach is our thing 

And the only person who scored from our team was also a person who never took the safe approach- Sehwag

2003 final performance was similar to 2017 CT final.

Winning toss and bowling first, losing plot early on, bowlers getting thrashed. 

While chasing most hyped batsmen (SRT and Kohli) dismissed cheaply. 

One aggressive batsman scoring from both sides and batsmen failing around him.

5 hours ago, MechEng said:

Going with three prong pace attack was a brain fart on part of Ganguly. Need to play to your strength and oppos weakness.

Just now, rkt.india said:

you play a team based on conditions

Teams have to be based on mismatches first. Need to find the mismatch and exploit it. That is how all sports all played. Conditions need to be taken into account also.

9 minutes ago, Khota said:

Teams have to be based on mismatches first. Need to find the mismatch and exploit it. That is how all sports all played. Conditions need to be taken into account also.

WTF is mismatch!

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

WTF is mismatch!

Take football for e.g. If a defender or midfieder is slow attack that side with fast forwrds. There you have a mismatch. 

If a team is weak against spin attack them with spin bowlers. They cannot improve overnight.

Before the test series if you look at my post I was hoping for two spinners. Did not happen but in ODI it did and look at the result.

In NFL they take mismatches to another extreme with ten coaches looking at every play with headphones wired to each other and changing strategy with every play. Find a weakness and exploit it.

Now if you have a real coach with a real analyst they will have a database of every opposition batsman with each dismissal. You can then see the trend and create a mismatch.

Three pronged pace attack against Australia and having Kumble on the bench gave India a zero chance.

On 3/4/2018 at 5:41 AM, Khota said:

kumble wud have been whacked, he was already struggling in ODI cricket then and was poor on field to 

That aussie lineup tonked murali for 100 runs .......kumble wud have made no diff

Let me show u kumble stats against that aussie team from 2000-04 in odi 

12 innings , 10 wkts, Eco of 5.42 ....avg of 52 ( u cringe over ashwin n jadeja stats)

That aussie team was to good ......

19 minutes ago, Khota said:

Take football for e.g. If a defender or midfieder is slow attack that side with fast forwrds. There you have a mismatch. 

If a team is weak against spin attack them with spin bowlers. They cannot improve overnight.

Before the test series if you look at my post I was hoping for two spinners. Did not happen but in ODI it did and look at the result.

In NFL they take mismatches to another extreme with ten coaches looking at every play with headphones wired to each other and changing strategy with every play. Find a weakness and exploit it.

Now if you have a real coach with a real analyst they will have a database of every opposition batsman with each dismissal. You can then see the trend and create a mismatch.

Three pronged pace attack against Australia and having Kumble on the bench gave India a zero chance.

cricket is not football. Cricket depends a lot on conditions.

Lessons learned....Never win the toss and field first in big games. 1996 Semi Final, 2003 Final, 2015 Semi Final, 2017 CT etc are classic examples. Even 2011 we almost botched it when Viru and Sachin went cheaply. But we were destined to win that day and Gambo & MSD played innings of their life.

Out of the above matches I highlighted, surely 96 Semi final and 2017 CT was our game had we batted first. 2003 we would have lost either way as that Aussie team was almost invincible.

5 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

kumble wud have been whacked, he was already struggling in ODI cricket then and was poor on field to 

That aussie lineup tonked murali for 100 runs .......kumble wud have made no diff

Let me show u kumble stats against that aussie team from 2000-04 in odi 

12 innings , 10 wkts, Eco of 5.42 ....avg of 52 ( u cringe over ashwin n jadeja stats)

That aussie team was to good ......

Even if that was the case with Kumble we are looking at a no more than 54 runs worst case. That was a easy call.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.