Jump to content
maniac

Vijay Shankar performance watch

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

I thought his bowling would be worse.. Pleasantly surprised. However he's more of a batsman as OP mentioned. How fast did he bowl btw?

120s I think. looked pretty toothless. would have liked to see him bat instead of pandey and panth.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Vijy said:

120s I think. looked pretty toothless. would have liked to see him bat instead of pandey and panth.

Be patient i have seen this guy bat n bowl for a while ,he is good enough just to be in the team as a bat, classy n has power game as well, someone i would even look at in tests, also seems like smart n hardworking guys, fields well,also his bowling could be a surprise he gets bounce n moves the ball n i see him bowling 130 n above in future, i hope we pick uim for England tour even test n odi n t20

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, flamy said:

He was just about hitting 130s, which means he needs to be clever with variations and such.

See he is a tall lad n a pace of 128 to 135 with some skills will work well, i saw him move the ball as well n getting some bounce, needs more games at this level but i would love to see him in test odi n india A

Share this post


Link to post

He is a slightly faster dibbly dobbly bowler with a bit of swing. Probably 5 clicks faster than Stuart Binny. I think that is as far as he can go. Not a natural fast bowler.  So his skill level has to be very high to be successful.  He could be like Anderson for NZ. But Anderson is a beast with bat. For Vijay just to be in the side as this kind of option has to be a very good stroke player and a solid fieldsman. Nothing less. Because bowlers like him can be targeted. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He is a slightly faster dibbly dobbly bowler with a bit of swing. Probably 5 clicks faster than Stuart Binny. I think that is as far as he can go. Not a natural fast bowler.  So his skill level has to be very high to be successful.  He could be like Anderson for NZ. But Anderson is a beast with bat. For Vijay just to be in the side as this kind of option has to be a very good stroke player and a solid fieldsman. Nothing less. Because bowlers like him can be targeted. 

NZ's allrounders are all power hitters, not just Corey Anderson. There's Anderson, Neesham, Grandhomme and Munro. Shankar seems to be more of a "proper" batsman (whatever that means).

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Vijy said:

NZ's allrounders are all power hitters, not just Corey Anderson. There's Anderson, Neesham, Grandhomme and Munro. Shankar seems to be more of a "proper" batsman (whatever that means).

Yes they can score at strike rate of 200 from time to time.  All of them. India has nothing but Pandya. If he doesn't work out Hooda might be another option given that Raina can bowl a couple of overs. 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Yes they can score at strike rate of 200 from time to time.  All of them. India has nothing but Pandya. If he doesn't work out Hooda might be another option given that Raina can bowl a couple of overs. 

in this series, hooda should have played a lot more games. and it was strange that krunal p was not even in consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Vijy said:

in this series, hooda should have played a lot more games. and it was strange that krunal p was not even in consideration.

So what will be your playing xi ?

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

So what will be your playing xi ?

From the current squad: Dhawan, Rohit, Rahul, Raina, Shankar, Pant (wk), Hooda, Sundar, Axar/Chahal, Unadcutter, Siraj

 

Team bats till 9 (Axar) and has 7 bowling options (Raina, Shankar, Hooda, Sundar, Axar/Chahal, Cutter, Siraj).

Siraj had 2 bad games, but I feel it was more due to nervousness than lack of talent. DK has not done anything wrong but we need to look beyond him for future players (who'll be around for a long time span). Although Pant has looked unconvincing he needs a longer rope IMO.

Edited by Vijy

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, fineleg said:

VS bowling is so pedestrian. Move on, at least from his bowling.

Batting, we shall see.

He never had any bowling potential like Pandya to begin with. Only far optimistic people would say there is any potential. However he is class batsman and should have already got chance by now. He certainly can shape out to be a fantastic batsman in future even if he fails initially.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, rkt.india said:

he is a batsman and a part-time seam bowler.

for me Hardik is way better than BINNY and Vijay Shankar as a Medium Pace Bowler.

binny and shankar are Slow trundlers.

i know Shankar Bats well as I saw him bat in one of the matches telecast on TV. But definitely as an allrounder Hardik is international all rounder..binny and shankar are no way close to him.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He is a slightly faster dibbly dobbly bowler with a bit of swing. Probably 5 clicks faster than Stuart Binny. I think that is as far as he can go. Not a natural fast bowler.  So his skill level has to be very high to be successful.  He could be like Anderson for NZ. But Anderson is a beast with bat. For Vijay just to be in the side as this kind of option has to be a very good stroke player and a solid fieldsman. Nothing less. Because bowlers like him can be targeted. 

Binny was better than Shankar as a Pacer..shankar seems rubbish as a pacer.

 

you have sugar coated your comments, i am straight.

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Vijy said:

doubtful I think.

rishi and binny both are better pacers than shankar...lets see him tommorow but yesterday he was aiming to bowl wide outside and save runs, never tried to take wickets or bowl as a genuine bowler , instead was trying to bowl way outside , even bowled wides at 128k and was making the batsman feel that he is just going for saving runs and not taking wickets.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

rishi and binny both are better pacers than shankar...lets see him tommorow but yesterday he was aiming to bowl wide outside and save runs, never tried to take wickets or bowl as a genuine bowler , instead was trying to bowl way outside , even bowled wides at 128k and was making the batsman feel that he is just going for saving runs and not taking wickets.

I think binny was better at bowling than shankar. Yes, he was very ordinary (esp in Tests) but he is not the worst "allrounder" Ind have played in ODIs. As for Shankar, he should be seen as a Ganguly-type "bowler", i.e. a part-timer and not a genuine batting allrounder. Batting ARs in Tests and FCs typically have about 1.5 wkts per match and also avg in the low to mid 30s.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I think binny was better at bowling than shankar. Yes, he was very ordinary (esp in Tests) but he is not the worst "allrounder" Ind have played in ODIs. As for Shankar, he should be seen as a Ganguly-type "bowler", i.e. a part-timer and not a genuine batting allrounder. Batting ARs in Tests and FCs typically have about 1.5 wkts per match and also avg in the low to mid 30s.

then vijay shankar should not be considered as some one as a replacement to Hardik...i mean he is no competition as a bowler to hardik at least. he is more of a Kedar type of bowler ..just medium pace, may be I a jumping the gun and speaking too early but lets find it out in coming matches. he can be played as a 6th bowler and not as a 5th bowler.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

then vijay shankar should not be considered as some one as a replacement to Hardik...i mean he is no competition as a bowler to hardik at least. he is more of a Kedar type of bowler ..just medium pace, may be I a jumping the gun and speaking too early but lets find it out in coming matches. he can be played as a 6th bowler and not as a 5th bowler.

sample size is too low, but my feeling is also that he's not a like-for-like replacement for hardik. shankar is a batsman who bowls a bit. As you noted, I'd see him more as a 6th bowler.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

If he is not even good than Rishi Dhawan then that is really a big disappointment. 

but he is a proper batsman, with the ball he is as good as Rishi Dhawan and Binny.

Edited by rkt.india

Share this post


Link to post

Bowled well today in two overs. Wicket and dropped catch. Looks he may  be a part timer like we had Saurav before. 

 

BTW Saurav had 5 for 16  in Toronto. cant forget that awesome spell. 

Edited by Straight Drive

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Bowled well today in two overs. Wicket and dropped catch. Looks he may  be a part timer like we had Saurav before. 

 

BTW Saurav had 5 for 16  in Toronto. cant forget that awesome spell. 

Told everyone . Bowling wise he is pants 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Told everyone . Bowling wise he is pants 

Not a specialist bowler so he will bowl totally innocuous ones at times. Risky to have him in 5 bowlers. If we are lookign for some batsman who can bowl a bit then he is one like Kedar Jadhav option. 

 

His batting has to be like specialist batsman , if it is not he is not worth in team.Lets see in few matches.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Told everyone . Bowling wise he is pants 

I admit I have seen very little of his batting , but wasnt very impressed ..he hits big , but not sure he can hit quality bowlers . so if bowling is below average hes way behind Pandya imo

Share this post


Link to post

Said from day one . Joke people calling him all rounder for international cricket 

 

his bowling is pathetic. . Shows how lucky we are to have pandya . Can click up to 90

 

we shoudl stop going about challengers for panday as Seam all rounder as can assure their are none . In fact panday is first since kapil Dev and people think might Be Ones better then panday lol

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Said from day one . Joke people calling him all rounder for international cricket 

 

his bowling is pathetic. . Shows how lucky we are to have pandya . Can click up to 90

 

we shoudl stop going about challengers for panday as Seam all rounder as can assure their are none . In fact panday is first since kapil Dev and people think might Be Ones better then panday lol

Shankar got 2 wickets despite 3 drops and bowled at 130 to 135 k with one ball at 143 k. What more do you expect from a batting all-rounder?

 

 Pandya firstly has to establish himself in one discipline - batting or bowling which has not done in domestics as well as international.

 

Also, Pandya IMO is more of a bowling all-rounder whereas Shankar is batting all-rounder. So we are comparing apples to oranges here. Either can be played depending on the combination the team wants.

Share this post


Link to post

He finished with decent figures today, but I didn't see anything special today. I'd still rate him more of a 6th bowler instead of being a 5th bowler who can bowl 10 overs in most occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

He finished with decent figures today, but I didn't see anything special today. I'd still rate him more of a 6th bowler instead of being a 5th bowler who can bowl 10 overs in most occasions.

Sod the figures 

 

watch him bowl . 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×