Has anyone here tried being a football fan, yet never found it interesting?

MechEng

I've tried many times to be a football fan watching my colleagues/friends going nuts over EPL clubs. I read about history of Turkish, Italian and Brazilian football clubs, even watched some of the big games. The home crowd of Galatasaray FC in Istanbul can make the 1996 WC semis fans look like saints and even read about people being severely injured or killed by random crazy fans. Still I'm not into this game, is there anyone here like me?  

Edited by MechEng

1 hour ago, surajmal said:

I agree with this depiction...

Unless one grows up watching the sport, there is no conceivable way to get interested. Just too effing boring. 

Basketball and UFC are the only sports that are not an acquired taste. 

I see football as a very chaotic and unpredictable game, it literally is among the least statistical sports ever.

But to be honest, playing football was way more fun for me than playing cricket. Watching on tv it's the opposite.

Me too, I was a big WC Football fan and used to follow major stars from Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands, Italy etc, but have totally lost it now. Somewhere in the 2000s, the game became too boring. These things have crept into the game to make it boring:

- Diving/Faking injury to trigger a red/yellow card. This is the worst, brings the game to a halt. I believe diving is an offence now

and it will be penalized now

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sahr-kabba-suspended-faking-injury_us_55f2f445e4b063ecbfa40781

- Once a team takes a lead, they start wasting time and keep passing back to their side/goalie, takes the fun out of the game

- Game is also very physical now, more than the ball, the players are focusing on pushing, pulling, head-butting and biting

opponents, 

I don't have any connection following FCs - Chelsea, Madrid, etc and the same things happen there too. 

It's funny to see Indians fighting over these FCs and arguing if Messi is better than Romario! 

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Me too, I was a big WC Football fan and used to follow major stars from Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands, Italy etc, but have totally lost it now. Somewhere in the 2000s, the game became too boring. These things have crept into the game to make it boring:

- Diving/Faking injury to trigger a red/yellow card. This is the worst, brings the game to a halt. I believe diving is an offence now

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sahr-kabba-suspended-faking-injury_us_55f2f445e4b063ecbfa40781

- Once a team takes a lead, they start wasting time and keep passing back to their side/goalie, takes the fun out of the game

- Game is also very physical now, more than the ball, the players are focusing on pushing, pulling, head-butting and biting

opponents, 

I don't have any connection following FCs - Chelsea, Madrid, etc and the same things happen there too. 

It's funny to see Indians fighting over these FCs and arguing if Messi is better than Romario! 

maxresdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

opponents, 

But some footballers have elevated this technique to the level of an art form. When I look at the likes of Robben the Diver, I am struck by the majesty of these artists.

There’s simply too much football on these days and all the best players play for a handful of team which means most matches are one sided affairs.

I’ll watch the World Cup this year but I’ve given up on club football.

Boxing is probably the most entertaining sport for me these days!

1 hour ago, adi B said:

Not me ,been a big mufc fan (since 2002) even before the globalisation of epl in  Asia .unless one watches the game regularly,it's hard to develop interest 

last few years must have been little difficult  for you :phehe: 

Edited by velu

Me neither.  With me it's a combination of factors.

One, I can't seem to get passionate about teams I have no connection to, which is pretty much any club team.  I watch the football WC, and that's it.  In fact I find it hard to care about the IPL because I don't much care whether Delhi or Chennai or Kolkata or Mumbai win a game, or the whole thing.

Two, I find myself unable to appreciate the nuances of a game I haven't myself played with 'some' seriousness.  Having played helps me to appreciate what's happening on the field a lot better. I represented my schools and undergrad in cricket, hockey,  and table tennis at various points in time, so that connect was always there.  In my time in the US, I used to play touch football (American football), so I have a very mild interest in the NFL.

Not a passionate fan of any FC. But if time permits I try to catch a game of EPL or La Liga. But I'm quite aware about Euro and Fifa WC, which teams have qualified & which haven't.

My cousin is a crazy Gunner fan & I usually pull his leg on Wenger. He hopelessly defends him.

In India you find a lot of plastic fans of these FCs who know jack about football, but claim to be expert lol. 

Edited by Turning_track

I don't mind an Indian supporting these alien club teams. I was a big Boris Becker fans and I understand supporting something even if you have nothing in common with them.
It's just the obnoxious level of support. My old roomies used to be crazy fans. One was a ManU fan and the other Chelsea fan. I used to hear dialogues like "hum tum logo ko match bheek mein dediye". "hum(ManU) se panga na liyo"

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

What I do like about football though is that it is the least statistical game ever and a 100% team sport, all three forward - mid field - defenders are equally important and interdependent, you get a community like feeling. And a great player is not just judged by the number of goals scored by him but by his style of play, his presence and the way he influences his team.